Water in rear jack compartment? - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Water in rear jack compartment? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I believe I found my problem I applied seam sealer around the whole rear hatch opening these panels are only ...
    Cape Cod CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX~AWD sold 04 CTS V sold 03 CTS Lux/Spt sold

Re: Water in rear jack compartment?

I believe I found my problem I applied seam sealer around the whole rear hatch opening these panels are only spot welded and some areas where open enough for water to infiltrate into the jack compartment , I'll keep you updated if this was the cure

john d is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Cod CTS View Post
    I believe I found my problem I applied seam sealer around the whole rear hatch opening these panels are only spot welded and some areas where open enough for water to infiltrate into the jack compartment , I'll keep you updated if this was the cure
    Same open seams behind tail lights

Wombat2go is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Water is one thing. I just had a practice of changing the spare wheel at 25 F before heading on a trip.
    The jack was frozen solid to the floor via the carpet and there is no way it would pry off. Ended up breaking it loose with a large hammer.
    These caddies should come with a Jack Hammer!

Jason Fritz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX loaded black beauty

researched this issue before buying, so thanks for the info.

my compartment was dry, but had them recheck all seals, etc. and havent had issues yet since october. cross my fingers for the future.

can't believe that this isn't a recall yet though with so many documented cases.

good luck guys and gals...

Tonight should be a good test.... rain tonight in the BBay

Still leaking so I finally got pissed and put the garden hose on the roof and flooded the Shi% OUT OF IT well guys I found where mine is leaking from it's a very simple fix just caulk or seal the ultra roof drain gromment on both sides of the body these gromments do not seal the pentration as tight as the accordian gromment I hope this helps email for pics
    Good Luck All

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Cod CTS View Post
    Still leaking so I finally got pissed and put the garden hose on the roof and flooded the Shi% OUT OF IT well guys I found where mine is leaking from it's a very simple fix just caulk or seal the ultra roof drain gromment on both sides of the body these gromments do not seal the pentration as tight as the accordian gromment I hope this helps email for pics
    Good Luck All
    I'd like to see the pictues..my dealer was close..he said the drain hose fell off...but it's still wet...

avantgarde is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

what about SRXs without the Ultra View?

It was a horrible 3 days of ran recently and my Jack compartment is slightly moist. I have a feeling in a couple years it'll be unruly. What areas do you suggest other than weatherstriping?

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

Quote Originally Posted by avantgarde View Post
    what about SRXs without the Ultra View?

It was a horrible 3 days of ran recently and my Jack compartment is slightly moist. I have a feeling in a couple years it'll be unruly. What areas do you suggest other than weatherstriping?
    One of my old posts
    "Top brake light--side seals--top seals---moon roof---rear winshield washer--clogged drain holes--covered drain holes--misaligned hatch--misaligned latch......any others????There is no consensus fix from GM as far as I know." And there are more fixes.............since I posted that about a year ago. I've had 5 fixes in 4 years-last one about 2 weeks ago. Still dry, I think..

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

dealer ordered new weatherstripping for my '07 and will get if it fixed next week.
    They had 3 model years to fix it since my '04 leaked.

louisn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx V-8 awd

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    dealer ordered new weatherstripping for my '07 and will get if it fixed next week.
    They had 3 model years to fix it since my '04 leaked.
    I suspect the leak is not discovered often--only if you have a flat or read this forum. I would never have known unless I checked after I read this thread. Therefore, in the real world it's so infrequently reported to the dealer, it's not a big problem to GM. Obviously, since there is no real fix-just band aids and prayers. Now, if 100,000 srx owners complained, they might notice.

srx05v8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

There have indeed been A LOT of complaints on this. I think the real challenge is that there could be many different causes for the leak (hence no single reliable fix). Most of the times, it's related to poor sealing (such as worn weather strip); then it could also be a blocked draining system or the rear window washer system. You just need to keep trying. My car had a really bad leak when I bought it. They changed the cracked weather strip and now my jack compartment is so dry it's dusty even during the rain season...

Tominator is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by krug300 View Post
    Have you dealer remove the plastic tailgate sill. Pull up/away the carpet that comes up to the sill (after removing jack, headrest tray if car has 3rd row seats, etc). There is a quarter inch hole in the middle of the inner surface. That's where the water ends up, and down to the area beneath the carpet.
    Remove the rear tailgate rubber weatherstrip/seal. You will see that the "outer body" mates to the "inner body" and the weatherstrip fits over this joint which runs around the rear opening of the car. Apply sealant all around this joint and re-install the weatherstrip/seal. New seals come with glue/sealant preapplied. The other (much less) suspicious points are the seals where the tailight screws come through the body. You have to remove the rear trim to check how tight the 4 nuts holding the two tailights are. It took me almost a dozen visits to the dealer to finally locate the suspicious point of water entry (behind the rear door seal).
    Krug nailed this one! I removed the complete rear gasket and found a assembly line problem (Take Note GM) The "Beetle Tape" (Black sticky stuff) they use to seal the gasket. Was properly attached to both sides of the metal that the seal is snapped on top of. The problem is someone on the line never removed the "Top" cover that protects the Beetle Tape sticking to things during installation! All I did was carefully removed the clear cover (From both the top and bottom sides) and ran a good bead of Clear silicone for a extra measure then reinstalled the seal. Original one is in perfect shape but as stated in Krug's thread the water is being balsted under the seals mount if you can believe it. Not affected by rain but the power of the water jets at the car wash! I had over two inches of water in my rear compartment. It amazes me how that water got in there...

Thanks for the great info! Dealer was clueless!

Tomas

Klei14 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX, 2008 G37 6MT

I really need to take a look at mine, I know the car had this problem in the past.

Last time I looked it was dry, but after the next wash I'm going to take another look.

I want to Dynamat the entire area where the jack is,but it wont be possiable if its full of water.

TPetersons is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Responding to member asking if anyone has the same issue with an 08-affirmative. I am just getting into this process and will advise progress.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.