Cadillac Owners Forum banner

reverse lights or back up lights

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MoistCabbage 
#1 ·
There 2 reverse lights, it seems that there 2 lights per side, it seems to be split in half, now what dovthe bottom halfs do, had vehicle for 2 yrs, just noticed the other night that just the upper portions light up.
Any ideas

#3 · (Edited)
...only exports get rear fogs and a red colored section on the "glass"/housing...
...on "domestic" (us/canadian) models the bottom section in the reverse light housing is clear, empty and closed...it's just a dummy...the switch is also different...

...rear fogs are not required in the US or Canada...

G
#7 · (Edited)
Same reason they leave the third seat glass in the roof but cover it with the ceiling liner, same reason they put fuse boxes under the rear carpet with barely workable access, same reason you have to pull off the entire front end to replace a headlight or bulb, same reason you have to yank the entire rear cargo side to change a tail light, same reason they make corrosive brake lines (actually the lines are made of a material of lower quality then what it connects too) sort of like the zinc bars you put on under water line so the bars corrode before the structural metal does. IMO a auto manufacturer should be held liable for inferior brake lines. I do not care what any die hard GM lover says, the brake lines should be made of the best material available (especially for what is paid new for SRX) It could be mine is the only one which had the issue.

#8 ·
Agree, one point that we forget, is GM bottom line-profits-.& because of thi they lost have of their line up. People realise it they were making crap, stop buying them, now we're back they gave a mice looking vehicle & we got sucker back in.
Do you know what GM stand for?Great Mistake

#9 ·
You could nit pick all day about which parts should be made of the best material, and have more time invested in their design. Safety or otherwise. After how many years would the manufacturer no longer be responsible for a failed part? 10? 30? 50?...

Cars are machines that require inspections, maintenance, and repair.

As for brake lines, I live in New England, the roads are salted in the winter, lots of snow, and the ocean is a couple of miles away. I have been working on cars since I was 10 years old. I have never had to replace brake lines on a car that wasn't into its second decade. Is that not acceptable service life for steel tubing?

G
#10 · (Edited)
Have you seen the pics of mine I posted on here? My daughters 95 opel corsa passed inspection this year with original brake lines, my 6 yr old SRX was so corroded it was too the point of tapering in some parts mid way, like I said mine is probably the only SRX to have this problem, but it should be GM that replaces them at their cost, its a safety issue not a superficial one, remember I am talking about a +40 grand truck, my brake lines should out last the truck and GM should of changed them instead of telling me its the owners responsibility the lines are maintained, and I agree to a point, but I replaced mine on a 6 yr old SRX, they did not just happen overnight, to get to the point they did they probably started corroding into the 4 year or earlier, unacceptable considering the car was bought second hand in Holland well inland from salt water and rarely snowed to the point of New England, thats why European designers are not nit picky about safety, yes the price is included, but unlike mine I would not expect all the brake lines to corrode to the point of replacement in 6 yrs. I just thank God GM did/does not build air planes. But I am off topic because this was about reverse lights.

#11 ·
It is extremely unusual that the lines corroded in that short of a time period, there must have been some reason. But if the truck was no longer under warranty, it's the owners responsibility, safety issue or not. I'm not saying that's fair, but the manufacturer can't be responsible for every odd case like yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.