Engine Power Reduced message
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Engine Power Reduced message in Cadillac SRX Forums; After getting a new ECM at dealer, 2004 SRX 3.6L ran perfect for a little over 1 month. Now wife ...
    maddoggyusa is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Engine Power Reduced message

After getting a new ECM at dealer, 2004 SRX 3.6L ran perfect for a little over 1 month.

Now wife was driving and message pops up something like "Engine Power Reduced", check engine light on, and sometimes the traction control is turned off. Battery looks good 12.5v sitting, 14.5v engine running.

So that day, I go to start it and it runs ok, but seems like it won't rev fast like it should. I read codes and get a slew of codes for all kinds of stuff relating to out of range values: fuel pump, pedals, throttle body, mass air flow sensor. I try resetting the codes and instantly get a slew of random codes. Then the engine revs up wildly just idling. I disconnected the battery for a week. Tried to drive it today and it was limping with reduced power... stopped on a hill once. Stopped got it restarted and got it home. I again tried to disconnect battery but the problem won't go away.

At first I figured getting a slew of random codes must mean my ECM was flaking out or had a bad wiring connection/ground at ECM.

But after doing some searching, seems that this message is often related to the throttle body or wiring (or even gas pedal) circuit... and vehicle goes to reduced performance mode for safety. Coincidentally I always had this whining noise for awhile at the throttle body... so I was thinking to replace it for fun before taking back to dealer. Cause right now I'm not sure I can even drive it to dealer! lol

Anybody have similar issues or shed some light or advice??? Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Any codes for the throttle body? Fairly common for the pigtail or throttle body to go bad can you post the DTC codes for us to further help?

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Re: Engine Power Reduced message

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Any codes for the throttle body? Fairly common for the pigtail or throttle body to go bad can you post the DTC codes for us to further help?
    Yep, I had very similar issues with my 04 v8 for months until I finally got a pigtail and went thru each wire, turns out one of the wires had broken in the casing on the original and it would make intermittent contact. spliced in the new pigtail, nary a problem since.

today for fun, I wiggled the connector on the throttle body, hooked up the battery and to my amazement it ran perfect again. the check engine light went off and did come back on but I suppose that is just a stored code that needs to be cleared.

but it clearly seems to be throttle body or wiring related.

Do any of you guys have the details for replacing the pigtail? what part number? Do you have to splice and solder a wire harness? I think I'll also replace the throttle body just in case.

----------

I tracked down the TSB for this problem (Doc ID 1738673).
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/d...06-04-032c.pdf

In the TSB, it only applies to 2004. Apparently 2005+ have an updated throttle body and connector. Per the TSB, you are updating to the new design and need to replace:
    1) throttle body GM P/N 12589056 (AC Delco P/N 217-2253)
    2) throttle body connector GM P/N 88988585 (AC Delco P/N PT2043)
    3) throttle body gasket GM P/N 12581398 (AC Delco P/N 217-1610)

It's a different connector so you have to replace the throttle body at same time. And I do have the old style connector so I'll be ordering parts today ($150 out the door with tax at amazon).

Thanks guys for your help!!!

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Awesome glad we could help

update: installed all the parts this weekend but when starting the engine idle would race high... then lower... and I'd get a bunch of check engine codes that wouldn't clear. I'd have a high idle when coasting but otherwise the car was drivable.

as others have posted, you have to let the ECM "relearn" the new idle settings for the new throttle body (and also if you clean a dirty throttle body). Most of the procedures I read did not work... this one works. As soon as I did this, idle was perfect. Cleared codes and been perfect so far.

How to Relearn the ETC (electronic Throttle Control)
    •Turn the key to the run position with the engine off for at least three minutes.
    •Then turn the key to the off position.
    •Start the engine and let it idle for 30 seconds.
    •Turn the engine off and restart. The learning process should be complete.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Thanks for posting a solved problem, it helps when follow ups are posted

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
    update: installed all the parts this weekend but when starting the engine idle would race high... then lower... and I'd get a bunch of check engine codes that wouldn't clear. I'd have a high idle when coasting but otherwise the car was drivable.

as others have posted, you have to let the ECM "relearn" the new idle settings for the new throttle body (and also if you clean a dirty throttle body). Most of the procedures I read did not work... this one works. As soon as I did this, idle was perfect. Cleared codes and been perfect so far.

How to Relearn the ETC (electronic Throttle Control)
    •Turn the key to the run position with the engine off for at least three minutes.
    •Then turn the key to the off position.
    •Start the engine and let it idle for 30 seconds.
    •Turn the engine off and restart. The learning process should be complete.
    Hello maddoggyusa,

Thanks for posting this update for other forum members to see. I am glad the codes have been cleared and everything is working perfect so far. We are here to assist, so don't hesitate to contact us if additional concerns or questions arise.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.