2008 SRX front differential mystery
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2008 SRX front differential mystery in Cadillac SRX Forums; While driving through a monsoon last Friday, the traction control seemed to becoming confused when ever I encountered standing water ...
    Nikowon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Unhappy 2008 SRX front differential mystery

While driving through a monsoon last Friday, the traction control seemed to becoming confused when ever I encountered standing water and the front tires aquaplaned. Every so often the front wheels would jerk and clunk from side to side until the front differential jammed and flew into internal pieces. Being on an interstate I slowed to the right lane and proceeded on slowly seeking an appropriate off ramp. Suddenly the rear wheels lost their drive and I coasted to a stop. By then even the park position did not keep the vehicle from rolling forward or backward. My SRX is now in a transmission shop 500 miles from home waiting for a final estimate. I am puzzled as to what might have gone wrong with the traction control and front differential. No hint of a problem prior to the event. Have never experienced anything quite like this in decades of driving. Any ideas as to the cause would be appreciated. I pretty much know what the effect is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Re: 2008 SRX front differential mystery

I don't have any insight into the behavior of the electronics.
    But mechanically, the transfer case has an "open differential" design, similar to a non limited slip rear axle.
    In a 2wd vehicle if one wheel spins out, drive is lost.
    So in this case if your drive to the front axle fails (freewheeling due to some type of front differential failure) the drive to the rear axle will be lost also.
    The fact that engaging the park mech would no longer lock the driveline says the front end of your transfer case was "disconnected".

Thanks for the response, but I was told on this vehicle there is no tranfer case.?????????

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

If you have a front differential then you have a transfer case. There just is no sensible way around it.

Bill

JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Did you get final diagnosis/repair bill from the transmission shop?

Yes. Just received a call from the shop. They believe the failure of the front differential was due to loss of fluid. Replaced the entire unit. $2,259. They also explained the exact same reason for rear wheel drive failure as stated in the response above. When you lose drive to the front the rear becomes inoperative as well. Seems to me to be a STUPID design. Good for the tow companies. Bad for the stranded driver. Modern technology is beginning to confuse this old guy. Thank you all for your input. Now a 500 mile trip back to the scene...nick

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D

Not a stupid design at all, they base it on the fact that your wheels should be on the ground and stuff does not break. If it was not the case then you could not have the compact spare and you would need electronic locking diffs for TC to work.

So no it is not a cash grab for tow companies, just a common way to do things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.