Gap under headlight
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Gap under headlight in Cadillac SRX Forums; On the left side I can slide a 1/4 of my 4 fingers under the headlight, on the right about ...
    orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Gap under headlight

On the left side I can slide a 1/4 of my 4 fingers under the headlight, on the right about a 1/8 th. Clearly if I lift under the fascia the gaps close, any ideas why the big difference, being a black fascia you cannot really tell but if it where a off color it would show up. Hood lines are straight,hood gap is straight. Lights are straight. Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    The bumper stretch maybe got hung up or the plastic pins damaged up top

Re: Gap under headlight

Thanks
    The bumper stretch maybe got hung up?
    plastic pins damaged up top?

silversport is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

S'funny but my 2008 is like yours...my buddy, who looked over mine prior to me buying (body and fender guy who is an insurance adjuster) though maybe the front had been worked on before on it...this was backed up bu a bit of paint on what should have been an unpaired bolt head under the hood...

Bill

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Sorry I was half asleep lol I meant maybe the bumper stretch from being caught on something or the plastic retainers above the grill are stretched out.

nhramike57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade EXT , 2007 SRX

These urethane bumper covers are very flexable and the location of the pins to mount them might be out enough to cause your missalignment. I would pull a few of the pins out from around your headlight and see if the gap gets any better. If so i believe the body shop supplies have larger diameter plastic pins..a little enlarge drilling and a new pin might be the trick l

This is all that holds the fascia to the front, nothing under the head lights that would give support. Having a new grill eliminated the center #3 pins, however the T rex grill is too light to cause a sag under one light, and a note: the gap was there before I replaced the grill

Does everyone have the gap I circled in yellow? Note gaps are the exact same size on both sides, however if you push the fascia from the bottom to compensate the gap under the left light it closes the gap, so fixing one side would make the gaps between hood and fascia uneven

Here is a drawing of the headlamp

jgodfrey82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX NorthStar - just purchased, and loving it!
    My v8 with sport fascia has the same gap.. I know it had front end work in its past life, so ive just ignored it, seems to be on pretty well even with the gap.

So I can assume its just poor quality material that sags,deforms over time (on mine), or if its replaced it may not fit the original cars form. This truck was checked and was in no accident (reported anyway). Just something one has to live with.

As seen above I removed the 2 nylon pins holding the fascia to the cross member, got a hydraulic jack with a wood block and lifted the center of the fascia till the gaps closed, drilled a hole for the sheet metal screw with rubber washer to hold in place, note to the right how far the original hole moved, the hole is covered.

No more gap, did it to both sides. Fascia is very solid and has no movement up and down now

I got to thinking about what holds these lights in place, below is a shot taken inside left side of grill, the screw facing the viewer holds the light in place, if its loose(as was mine it can cause a gap on inner corner as mine did. I loosened the 2 top screws on the light just enough for movement. pressed firmly down the top of the light and closed the gap as much as possible, tighten screws starting with the side one. Result was the same as I had done using the above method drilling new holes, so now I have it back to OEM with plastic retainers. Note I have a T-REX grill which allows full access behind the grill, the OEM maybe more problematic. You can see in the pic where the ring was and where it is now, quite a difference.

desmar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx4
    That's great u fix it. I guess my way is more complicated
    How the hood gap

Its the same both side just under 0.5" No way to close the gap between hood as the fascia is as high as the light will allow. I have to look at the striker, maybe it can be lowered? but then you need to take into account the level of the front hood in comparison to the level of the top of the head light. Making sure its level and not below the top of the headlight

desmar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx4
    Gotcha, but remember hoodlatch is also adjustable by about 1/2" if I remember right., as well the 2 hood shoppers are adjustables.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.