noise from fuel tank
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, noise from fuel tank in Cadillac SRX Forums; Alright, my wife just got back from her trip cross country to Arizona. While she was there, she said that ...
    Mr. Mohr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8 AWD Luxury Performance Package (Moonstone)

noise from fuel tank

Alright, my wife just got back from her trip cross country to Arizona. While she was there, she said that she noticed a "puffing" sound coming out of the fuel tank while it is running and the fuel cap is off. I told her to stop fueling up with the car on so she doesn't hear it anymore. (simple fix, right?) Now she's home, and swears it never made noise when she did it before. Any ideas as to the real cause?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: noise from fuel tank

My SWAG is the higher temperatures in AZ caused a rapid expansion of fuel as it was being put into the tank, causing a slight blowback.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Your actually not suppose to fuel any vehicle up with the engine running it is VERY unsafe.

Possibly unrelated, but it also started studdering while cruising at city speeds if I give it slight throttle. Kind of makes a lower exhaust note, and sputters slightly.

Check engine light on or flashing?

That's the funny thing, no CEL. The stumbling feeling isn't severe, and most might not even notice. When a plug of mine was on its way out, I noticed way before it missed bad enough to trip my CEL and tell me I had a bad #6 plug.

I'm having the same issue lol. At idle it has a very very slight skip nobody else notices but no other noticeable issues.

My wife actually noticed just now. While driving under 40mph, I give it slight throttle, it mares a low exhaust sound (like its being bogged down), if I let off the throttle at all it goes away, if I give it more throttle it down shifts and all is good. My gut feeling is fuel filter or clogged objectors. Maybe she git some bad fuel on her trip. She also ran regular unleaded most the way instead of plus or premium, if that makes a difference.

SFVetteman is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

Short of throwing parts at it or waiting for a CEL, you need a scanner that can read real-time data to isolate the cause. The use of regular should not cause a problem because if the PCM detects low octane fuel being used, it switches to a low octane fuel table until it detects higher octane fuel being used again.

Bill

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Right...it will regard the timing and give you a bit less performance...those in tune with their vehicles can usually tell...it might manifest itself with a shudder...but I'd put my money on something like you mentioned...dirty gas, fuel filter, perhaps dirty injectors but that seems unlikely with today's gasoline...especially if you fill with Top Tier brands which don't have to be the most expensive...good luck with your diagnosis...

Bill

Aren't these designed to run on 87? That's what it says on my fuel door just curious if it is different for the v8 owners the v6 doesn't run any differently for me no matter what octane I use as long as I don't get gas on post ( military) as that is usually watered down.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

I thought the Northstar V8 used 91 recommended...our V6s can use 87 without issue...

Bill

Repnatl, where are you stationed? I'm in DC. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the fuel here. We usually fill up at well known stations, but traveling cross country, sometimes you gotta stop at some sketchy places...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mohr View Post
    Repnatl, where are you stationed? I'm in DC. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the fuel here. We usually fill up at well known stations, but traveling cross country, sometimes you gotta stop at some sketchy places...
    Im retired out of ft. Hood "welcome to the great place" lol. The gas at the aeefes here is known to be watered down and its the same price as off post.

Just replaced my fuel filter, thank God its not in the tank. Also running STP fuel objectors cleaner through a tank of 93.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.