5 speed V6 Transmission Servicing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 5 speed V6 Transmission Servicing in Cadillac SRX Forums; Although I have only 73000 miles on my 2008 SRX4, I sense from its performance that the tranny would like ...
    Nikowon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

5 speed V6 Transmission Servicing

Although I have only 73000 miles on my 2008 SRX4, I sense from its performance that the tranny would like an ATF and filter change. My service guy (not dealer) says there is no way to change the filter. I have read posts regarding the 6 speed but can find none on the 5 speed. Dealer is a bit far from me, so would like to educate my mechanic......thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Re: 5 speed V6 Transmission Servicing

Drop the pan, change the filter, just like any GM car for the last 50 years.
    There are a couple of specifics, like the O-rings that go on the new filter pick-up tube - there are two.
    Refilling is the big challenge - adding fluid with a pump to the fill plug on the side of the tranny will result in it appearing full, but it's still 2-3 qts low. The engine must be cranked, then the remainder of the fluid added, until it dribbles out the fill hole. Trans temp should be 80-120 degrees to insure correct fill amount. Getting that fill plug back in with the engine running and the hot exhaust is a real pain. You can search a bit more for details, but on the 5-spd it's pretty straightforward - no drain plug, and the fill plug hole is the level check hole.

DG

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

I'm sorry but if I heard a mechanic say that, I would look at it as natures way of telling me to find another mechanic. Even a lousy mechanic knows that if there is a filter then there is a way to change it.

Mechanic aside, at 78,000 miles, I think you would be better off with a transmission flush as well as a new filter. That would replace all the ATF and get rid of the varnish that builds up over time. That would be a job for a knowledgeable shop or dealer.

Bill

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Sometimes I have heard this said when the shop wants to use the power flush for a trans (which I have heard from better mechanics is something never to do) ...find another shop...

Bill

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

IMO, if a flush is done within the recommended service intervals from the time the vehicle is new then it shouldn't cause a problem. From people in the trade that I've talked to, the biggest risk comes from the flush not being done properly. It is not something I would trust to the oil change places.

Another option is a fluid exchange. It won't involve any chemicals but will change out all the fluid and the debris suspended in it. Again, it needs to be done properly.

Bill

Nikowon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

DG, Thanks for a concise and knowlegeable reply. I have also read that draining the ATF with the engine running prevents the fluid in the torque convertor from draining. That is supposed to remedy the problem, but, from my perspective still leaves 2 quarts of soiled fluid in the system. Will do exactly as you have detailed....nick

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by The Wrench View Post
    Drop the pan, change the filter, just like any GM car for the last 50 years.
    There are a couple of specifics, like the O-rings that go on the new filter pick-up tube - there are two.
    Refilling is the big challenge - adding fluid with a pump to the fill plug on the side of the tranny will result in it appearing full, but it's still 2-3 qts low. The engine must be cranked, then the remainder of the fluid added, until it dribbles out the fill hole. Trans temp should be 80-120 degrees to insure correct fill amount. Getting that fill plug back in with the engine running and the hot exhaust is a real pain. You can search a bit more for details, but on the 5-spd it's pretty straightforward - no drain plug, and the fill plug hole is the level check hole.

DG
    Actually my 2004 5 speed does have a drain plug. And yes it is a real pain in the @ss to refill and set the level with the engine running - the exhaust pipe is close by for sure.
    FWIW this system was instituted because the assembly plants don't want to mess with filling ATF on the line, just send them a trans pre-filled from the trans hot test, plug in the quick connect cooler lines, and go.

nhramike57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade EXT , 2007 SRX

I thought about doing the filter and flush myself but researching the procedure has made me think i'll let the stealership do it for the $269.00 they quoted me. 10 quarts of Dexron VI is gonna cost me 70-80 bucks..the filter /gasket service kit is another $40. They got the pump to flush it all out and the temp probe to fill it correctly

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Nascarnation, you lucky dog! I would choke the cat for a tranny drain plug. Just another GM mid-cycle penny-pinching savings at work I guess.
    I suppose you also got a cargo net and a tow hook; not to mention side skirts that aren't stuck on with 2-sided tape???? I also thought for awhile that I had been rooked out of the cabin filter, but I finally found it waaay back down there.

DG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.