Cadillac Owners Forum banner

the dealers here are incompetent trading this srx in soon

3K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  repnatl 
#1 · (Edited)
Around ft hood Texas none of the techs here know what they are doing or looking for. Took my 06 3.6 awd in to have the front lower control arms replaced a third time and nothing has been done to it in over 3 weeks. Finally got a call saying they are waiting approval from my warranty. I called the warranty and they approved the work 2 weeks ago. Wow. All the dealer found was a sway bar link boot is torn and that's what's causing the groaning creeking and popping. Funny the passenger boot is torn but my noise is on the front lower driver side. I replaced the sway bar links last time they said they were the cause when even then it was the control arms. Also they still couldn't figure out the noise from the power steering pump area when they "claimed" it was the Ac tensioner and belt. Told them that wasn't it since I just replaced those before I got there. Still making the same noise. Going to get the truck now.

#3 ·
Yeah man they apologized and didn't charge me the $220 diagnostic. Of course I wasn't going to pay that anyway. Taking it in for an appraisal this weekend. You and I have gone back and forth about me buying a used srx with poor maintainance but now the service techs are failing. Between the extended warranty, constant repairs, and negligent dealers its definitely time to let this go and buy something brand new. I figured after 4 different GM dealers one of them would get it right but so far its been the same first year high school auto techs attempting to fix this truck so I can't trust either of them anymore. Just sucks I really did give this truck a try and didn't want to give up so easily.

#4 ·
You both have issues, ha ha.. repnatl, I'll buy your SRX, $3500? Service techs failing? The dealer would not be in business if their service techs were "Fail" quality. Why not try a "fifth" dealer? Have you ever taken a car into a dealer for service that you WERE happy with? So you're replacing stuff and then taking it to a dealer? Almost sounds like too many cooks in the broth.

#5 ·
Lol I hear you ;). There is only one more caddy dealer and its 30 miles away. Well when I took it in the first time two years ago they said sway bar links their price installed was over $500 and my deductible was $100. Parts locally were $45 for both. I knew that wasn't the issue. Took it back 4 more times and they replaced the lcas. I know exactly what's wrong with the truck. So I replaced the sway bar links again since I have a lifetime on those and the noise still remains. I took it back to that dealer showed them they were new and the noise wasn't where they said it was. I thanked them for wasting my time gas and money and said I'll never come back or recommend anybody to them. Basically they hire ppl at least around here that look good on paper but aren't the nest at mechanics. I know what issues this truck has and I know what's parts need to be fixed but they are idiots around here. If hopefully someone doesn't hit me and total it we are trading it in. And if the lower control arm breaks and causes and accident that is something I will deal with the warranty company and the caddy dealer for their negligence it doesn't take 4 trips to confirm an issue when I had them ride with me and they knew it was on the other side. Not to mention they couldn't explain the power steering pump noise or why they replaced the tensioner as a quick fix which didn't do anything. I'm very frustrated at this point. I'm not suppose to know about vehicles and diagnostics than a "certified" dealer am I right? They went to school for it I just learned and studied. And yes one time when they programmed my new key fob hahahahahaha. I don't go to shops unless the parts are way more expensive than my deductible. I hate taking my vehicles to other ppl when I can do the work myself and do a better job at it. Other than this pos I bought I've never taken a vehicle to any repair shop and I've been driving 12 years.

#7 ·
Haven't really needed to. I know the control arms are dealer only even dorman stays out of stock. Can't even get them from a gm website. :( that would be my next step but the past few shops my wife took our acura tl to while I was deployed basically tried to rob her and what they replaced on 3 trips never fixed the issue. I had to fix it when I came back from Iraq. Ended up getting a complete refund on all 3 trips. There aren't too many places to trust.

#8 ·
repnatl, thanks for your service.. bet Iraq was intense. I thought most soldiers were less "High Maintenance" than you seem to be, ha ha. What makes you so positive that, the issue is with your control arms? How much noise do you get out of them? I have heard ours utter groans of protest periodically but not very often at all.. chalked it up to too much cranking on the R&P.

#11 ·
Lol not really high maintainance I just know too much about vehicles to get the run around like these guys have been giving me. And thanks man Iraq sucked glad I'm retired. Cars are my passion. I might try another shop and see what they think but this time I'm staying with the truck and making them ride with me and then lift it up to verify. I've isolated the noise to the front lca to frame bushing using wd40 love that stuff. I had my wife turn the wheels to the point of the noise while the wheels are completely on the ground no jack needed so the weight is on the suspension. And while spraying it went away after that bushing and actually went away for a few days. I might have to rig up a wd40 sprayer on that thing lol. But honestly at this point its either wait for a wreckless driver or even a cow crossing the road or trade in and take a loss which I'm hoping isn't too large cause trade in is $12500 according to the other dealer we went to but I also have fender bumper and grill damage. So I'll see if I get more money fixing the body or not. If I break even I'm leaving it as is cause the parts already painted will run $1k on problem I'm having is finding the passenger fender bracket that the nipple for the headlight slides into seems that is only available through the dealer as part of the fender :( I've at least kept it looking pretty damn clean though. Nobody thinks we drive it lol yeah cause I don't want it to break down or risk more failures to add to my list.

#13 ·
Lmao very true. If I do have someone actually do the lcas I'm keeping the old ones and try to find someone who can make a urethane insert like energy suspension cause 4 sets in 2 years is ridiculous. I should be able to write the new repair manual for this truck with updated info.

#14 ·
So just for giggles I replaced the sway bar links again and to no surprise the popping groaning and wobbling are still there. I even replaced the sway bar to frame bushing just in case. So I'll call the warranty company and dealer to talk to them like they are kindergartners since they obviously don't understand basic mechanics. Waiting on the offer from another import dealer as far as a trade in.

#15 ·
are you doing this work or is the dealership?
if the dealership, what do they say when they do the repair and the noise is still there?
if you, why would you keep replacing parts you know are not flawed?
do you HAVE to go to the Cadillac dealership for repairs (due to your warranty?)
could you try another GM dealership?
could you try another repair facility?

I agree with you it is frustrating and another reason why if you can find a good repair shop to stick with them...I've been using the same shop for 30 years now and dealerships always ask me why I don't use them...the few time I do, like when you have to for a warranty repair, I have had about a 50% success rate with them...

Good luck with your repair...

Bill

#16 ·
I've done the links myself to prove thiseceerent the issue. I don't have to use a gm dealer hut since most of the parts are dealer only bit made sense vice tried 2 caddy dealers one GMC and one Chevy burned by all. So it will never go to another gm dealer unless its computer related. I might try another shop by at this point I want out of this truck. The sway bar link actually wasn't bad the but was backed out two turns I replaced anyway since I have a lifetime warranty on them from the first time they said that's the issue. When I told them the noise was still there they said bring it back. I said for what so it can sit for another month in the parking lot. Found out they only drove it into the bay. Never even did a test drive again to hear exactly what and where the noise was.

#17 ·
repnatl, want to sell your SRX generously? :) What are you saying, that you can only take it to two particular dealers, even though you dislike the dealers? Isn't this country free so that you can go to any GM Dealer you please? If I am unsatisfied at one place, it's amazing that you can go someplace else and get satisfaction.. "burned by all".. burned may be a misnomer since it usually means not very intentions. You may want to look into why you have a persecution complex? :)

#18 ·
Hahaha Na I meant I've gone to 4 DIFFERENT gm dealers with the same lack of results. I figured in going there they would know the truck very well and were more trained than say a side shop. I was very wrong. Its not a persecution issue its the fact that they don't know what they are doing as far as this truck. Sure they probably know other gm vehicles better. And I'm also sure they don't have a lot of seasoned mechanics taking their vehicles there either. So I'm a step ahead of them I guess. I definitely won't be taking this truck to another gm dealer. At least if a side shop does the work $80 and hour is better than $110 an hour so if the warranty doesn't cover all of it I'll be less out of pocket

#19 · (Edited)
I find it inconceivable that any business let alone 4 could operate in this manner and stay in business. However, I don't believe you are making this all up so there must be a reason why they let your car sit there without fixing what sounds like an obvious problem. The only reason I can come up with is they don't want to deal with your warranty company or perhaps any warranty company outside of GM or maybe they don't want to deal with you for some weird reason, and this is their non-verbal way of saying, take it somewhere else. Most would just come out and say it, if that was how they felt, but it is not unheard of for shops to do something like this.

Bill

#20 ·
That's what I was thinking also cause when the dealer said one sway bar link was $347.98 I'm like really!!!!!!!!!!!! They must have been thinking of the whole sway bar and said one link labor would be $160 no way. I picked my truck up and will never return. I know it sounds like I'm too needy or picky and having the same issues and no results is frustrating. I guess I'm too specific and doubt they like me taking the truck in and saving them the time and telling them exactly what is wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.