50,000 Service - Fun Converations With Cadillac Service
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 50,000 Service - Fun Converations With Cadillac Service in Cadillac SRX Forums; Cadillac Service Department #1: Owner 07 V8 SRX: How much for the 50,000 service? Cadilac Service: $275.00 Owner: What does ...
    ThunderGray34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2007

50,000 Service - Fun Converations With Cadillac Service

Cadillac Service Department #1:

Owner 07 V8 SRX: How much for the 50,000 service?
    Cadilac Service: $275.00
    Owner: What does that include?
    Service: Oil change, various inspections, air filter, tire rotation.
    Owner: Tires are not rotated on this model.

Cadillac Service Department #2:

Cadilac Service: $475.
    Service: Oil change, various inspections, air filter, tire rotation, transmission fluid change.
    Owner: The manual says that the transmission fluid needs to be changed at 100,000 unless driven in severe conditions. My vehicle has been lightly driven.
    Service: If you wait to 100,000, it will be too late. The damage will already be done. So the 100,000 change interval is worthless.
    Owner: And the tires don't need to be rotated. I don't need an oil change. I think I need an air filter and some inspections. Anything else?
    Service: Nope if you are not doing the transmission fluid.
    Owner: What about a radiator flush?

Cadillac Service Department #3:

Owner: So the complete break job is $500?
    Service: Yes. That is on the estimate.
    Owner: Nothing else you want to tell me?
    Service: No.
    [Later in the day]
    Service: We are doing your breaks. Which pads do you want? The ones that don't squeak are $50 more.
    Owner: So the $500 quote was for squeaky pads?
    Service: Not exactly. But less squeaking.
    Owner: If you had two types of pads, the squeaking and the non-squeaking, why didn't you tell me when you wrote the estimate?

Conclusion: Just another owner satisfied with Cadillac dealer service. Not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

Re: 50,000 Service - Fun Converations With Cadillac Service

Since you are familiar with the maintenance intervals in the owners manual and all you wanted was a vehicle inspection and a possibly a new air filter, why did you bother to inquire about their 50k service when you obviously didn't want it? You can fault the service writer for failing to mention the available pad options at the time the work order was written but at least he contacted you about it later rather than just slap in the "less squeaking" pads and then give it back to you that way without a word about a choice of pads.

Bottom line is that I would think that in your daily life there is a lot you are not satisfied with.

Bill

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    All of those are overpriced anyway and sounds like the dealers don't know what they are talking about. Typical of dealers these days. If you are going to work in service or sell parts at least know some basics.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderGray34 View Post
    Cadillac Service Department #1:

Cadilac Service: $275.00
    Service: Oil change, various inspections, air filter, tire rotation.
    Owner: Tires are not rotated on this model.

Cadillac Service Department #2:

Cadilac Service: $475.
    Service: Oil change, various inspections, air filter, tire rotation, transmission fluid change.
    Owner: The manual says that the transmission fluid needs to be changed at 100,000 unless driven in severe conditions. My vehicle has been lightly driven.
    Service: If you wait to 100,000, it will be too late. The damage will already be done. So the 100,000 change interval is worthless.
    Owner: And the tires don't need to be rotated. I don't need an oil change. I think I need an air filter and some inspections. Anything else?
    Service: Nope if you are not doing the transmission fluid.
    Owner: What about a radiator flush?

Cadillac Service Department #3:

Owner: So the complete break job is $500?
    Service: Yes. That is on the estimate.
    Owner: Nothing else you want to tell me?
    Service: No.
    [Later in the day]
    Service: We are doing your breaks. Which pads do you want? The ones that don't squeak are $50 more.
    Owner: So the $500 quote was for squeaky pads?
    Service: Not exactly. But less squeaking.
    Owner: If you had two types of pads, the squeaking and the non-squeaking, why didn't you tell me when you wrote the estimate?

Conclusion: Just another owner satisfied with Cadillac dealer service. Not.
    Hello ThunderGray34,

I am sorry if you are not satisfied with your dealership experience. I would like to hear more about your situation. If you private message me, we can continue to interact and I can help with any current concerns or issues.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

ThunderGray34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2007

Quote Originally Posted by SFVetteman View Post
    Since you are familiar with the maintenance intervals in the owners manual and all you wanted was a vehicle inspection and a possibly a new air filter, why did you bother to inquire about their 50k service when you obviously didn't want it? You can fault the service writer for failing to mention the available pad options at the time the work order was written but at least he contacted you about later rather than just slap in the "less squeaking" pads and then give it back to you that way without a word about a choice of pads.
    Bill
    The "less squeaking" pads don't squeak -- at all. I have them. The squeaky-pad pitch was just a scam up sell after the break work was started. The dealer's scam was likely standard operating procedure to squeeze a few more dollars from ignorant customers. "Do you really want to hear your breaks squeak?"

And I never said that I did not want the 50,000 service. And until I learned what a dealer told me what was included I could not make the choice. One dealer says x, another says y. I am not clairvoyant. Maybe I am now. I will assume that whatever a dealer says is fiction in part unrelated to the actual car owned or how the car was driven.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

your owner's manual will have what needs to be done...the dealership will make recommendations based on real world feedback, what they think might be necessary and sadly what will make them some money based on the lowest common denominator...

I have a friend who has a Mercedes...I went with her while she took it in for one of the services...she got a nice brand new loaner and I noticed the waiting room had big screen TVs, leather couches and chairs, a real fireplace and high end coffee...when she got the call for what the car required beyond what was on the service interval I noted to her that the costs were about triple what my GMs and my own mechanic usually charge...however...she wouldn't go to an independent mechanic to work on her car because she was burned once on a repair...so the high cost might be the price of admission for those kind of owners...

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderGray34 View Post
    The "less squeaking" pads don't squeak -- at all. I have them. The squeaky-pad pitch was just a scam up sell after the break work was started. The dealer's scam was likely standard operating procedure to squeeze a few more dollars from ignorant customers. "Do you really want to hear your breaks squeak?"
    All brake pads can squeak under certain conditions but some are less likely to squeak than others. The pads you were offered were the ACDelco OES pads(original equipment service) and the ACDelco DuraStop premium pads that are designed to help resist corrosion and premature wear and to be less noisy because of the special shims that are included. Your service writer could have done a better job by explaining these options to you better as well as doing it at the time the order was written. But I doubt it was a scam; it was just a service writer that could have done his job better.

And I never said that I did not want the 50,000 service. And until I learned what a dealer told me what was included I could not make the choice. One dealer says x, another says y. I am not clairvoyant. Maybe I am now. I will assume that whatever a dealer says is fiction in part unrelated to the actual car owned or how the car was driven.
    The problem here is the term "50,000 mile service". It is something that GM used to use for a particular service at specific mileage intervals. It doesn't exist anymore and has been replaced by "Maintenance 1" and "Maintenance 2" (see your owners manual as to what each includes). But a lot of people inquire about it, as you did, so a lot of dealerships have come up with one on their own and different dealers might well be different as far as what is included and the price. I'm not a fan of it and believe it is just a simple and expedient solution to a commonly asked question that, unfortunately, can lead to customer confusion as it did in your case.

Hopefully this explains things better for you. A lot of service writers could do a better job. Too many dealerships, regardless of brand, don't realize that the service writer is the face of the service dept. and don't train them properly or overwork the ones they have and burn them out to the point they don't fully explain things to save time.

By the way, I agree with the service writer that suggested servicing transmission at 50,000 miles. I look at it as cheap insurance against problems down the road and feel the GM recommended transmission service intervals was influenced more by marketing than the engineers.

Bill

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Not always the shims that cause the squeaking. The material of the pads is the main factor. I used regular pads on mine the noise stayed until I changed to ceramic. Go with ceramic and use plenty of anti seize on the slide pins if you do them yourself

No one said the shims caused squeaking, only that some types of shims can help reduce it. I have no idea what brand or material your "regular" pads were but apparently they squeaked a lot. Not all brands are the same regardless of whether or not they are organic, semi metallic, metallic, or ceramic pad material.

Bill

One thing I might add about service writers. Too many of them will take a customers description of a problem at face value and without proper follow up questions to try to determine what exactly is going on, it ends up leaving the mechanic in the dark and on his own to try to figure out the problem. And that ends up costing time and money as well as an often dissatisfied customer.

Bill

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I agree that compound is the biggest factor in noise, I don't like ceramic pads, the trade off of lower braking performance is not worth it IMO.

The best pads I have used on the SRX were Porterfield R4-S, they did not make any noise and stopped awesome but did dust a bit. Look at a German car and the front wheels are always dusty but they stop great, nothing in life is free I guess.

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

Just changed out my front pads on my SRX @ 45400 miles. The rotors are still in spec and am using
    NAPPa "premium" pads. No noise and good stopping distances. Changed out the rear pads at 30,000 miles.
    Both sets were still at half life so I suspect they did a brake job at around 15000 miles.

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Semi Related question: Scenario - You buy an SRX with just under 100k on it. It looks like it's been relatively taken care of. Bought from a used car dealer with no service records. Which preventative maintenance do you get done on the car? Tranmission life is at 52%. Other than an oil change with Mobil 1, what would you recommend?

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

That close to 100 thousand, I'd get a transmission flush. Had a Chevy dealer quote 200 dollars to do mine and will have it done at around 75 thousand.

Jim_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX V8 RWD 2004
    Just paid $159 at Chevy dealer for flush. Cadillac once charged me $700 for 4 wheel brake job. Advance auto parts charged me less than $250 with coupons for 4 wheel brakes plus rotors and I installed them myself.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.