Help! Won't Start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Help! Won't Start in Cadillac SRX Forums; 2007 SRX Problem: Won't start. Engine won't start or attempt to start on key turn. Description: So apparently my SRX ...
    ArhhGee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX

Help! Won't Start

2007 SRX

Problem: Won't start. Engine won't start or attempt to start on key turn.

Description: So apparently my SRX has decided to stop working all of the sudden. When the engine turns on the car is fully functional however when it decides not to turn on almost all the electronics stop working and engine light comes on, and message is displayed saying brakes, suspension, StabiliTrak, Park Assist, etc etc all need to be serviced. But when the engine is on none of these messages appear and the car works perfectly -- ac blows cold, locks work, windows roll etc etc........ until it doesn't!

All of the sudden while the car is running it might go back into this crazy mode where everything needs to be serviced, none of the electronics work, turns signals get all glitchy and stuck, or both will turn on at the same time in the dash, and once I turn the car off -- it won't turn back on after that. I try to turn it on almost every day and sometimes it will turn on out of random but other times nothing happens, sometimes the whole dashboard lights up other times only the check engine light.

Symptoms: Single click sound on key turn. Radio/GPS not turning on. A/C not working. Locks and Windows not working. Third row seats not working. Key fob not able to lock or unlock remotely, lock switches don't even work from the inside. Lock symbol lit up on dash, not sure what that is (anti-theft maybe?)

What works? Dashboard, Interior lights work, horn works, that's about all that works in this condition

Solutions Attempted/Eliminated: Full tank of gas. Jump started battery, replaced battery with new one. That's about it. I wanted to see if anyone had an idea of what it might be before I get it towed to the shop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Reads like a bad battery. But you say you put in a new battery and you have the same results?

Re: Help! Won't Start

Yeah I jumped started the battery, still didn't work. I had the battery checked out and it was supposedly still a good battery but slightly weak under a load so I bought a new one anyways just to make sure and still didn't work. Luckily I have a few cars so I have time to figure out what's wrong with this thing.

Hopefully Glake or someone will jump in, but I think there was a recent thread about this and it turned out maybe the ECM ground is effected, either needs cleaning or ECM replaced, did you try a search on the SRX forum?

ukmat71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Could be a simple earth strap somewhere

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

Maybe something to do with security system? You have power, but it won't let you start.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

You have DTCs. Next time it runs, get to a parts store and get them read, especially history and pending codes. That would help. My SWAG is weak connections, either harness or grounds.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ArhhGee View Post
    2007 SRX

Problem: Won't start. Engine won't start or attempt to start on key turn.

Description: So apparently my SRX has decided to stop working all of the sudden. When the engine turns on the car is fully functional however when it decides not to turn on almost all the electronics stop working and engine light comes on, and message is displayed saying brakes, suspension, StabiliTrak, Park Assist, etc etc all need to be serviced. But when the engine is on none of these messages appear and the car works perfectly -- ac blows cold, locks work, windows roll etc etc........ until it doesn't!

All of the sudden while the car is running it might go back into this crazy mode where everything needs to be serviced, none of the electronics work, turns signals get all glitchy and stuck, or both will turn on at the same time in the dash, and once I turn the car off -- it won't turn back on after that. I try to turn it on almost every day and sometimes it will turn on out of random but other times nothing happens, sometimes the whole dashboard lights up other times only the check engine light.

Symptoms: Single click sound on key turn. Radio/GPS not turning on. A/C not working. Locks and Windows not working. Third row seats not working. Key fob not able to lock or unlock remotely, lock switches don't even work from the inside. Lock symbol lit up on dash, not sure what that is (anti-theft maybe?)

What works? Dashboard, Interior lights work, horn works, that's about all that works in this condition

Solutions Attempted/Eliminated: Full tank of gas. Jump started battery, replaced battery with new one. That's about it. I wanted to see if anyone had an idea of what it might be before I get it towed to the shop.
    Hello ArhhGee,

I see members on the forum have engaged with you on giving advice. I apologize for any inconveniences you are dealing with while trying to solve your vehicle concern. I see you have replaced the battery and your engine still seems to not work. Please let me know what you decide to do. I want to stay involved throughout this process. I can be reached via private message if you would like to further discuss any concerns.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I guess I'll update this periodically with any changes, right now I don't have time to really get too much into fixing it but maybe in a couple days/weeks I'll get it over to the dealership and just let them take care of it. Once I do that I'll post the fix here for future reference.

By the way, all the electrical wiring/harness seems to be in great shape and clean so it might not be that but I guess you never know. I'm thinking maybe something is wrong with the anti-theft system because the lock symbol is always on, I couldn't find it in the manual on whether that's the anti-theft symbol, does anyone know? And if the car thought I was trying to steal it, would it disable all the electrical components and not allow the car to start? Just my theory. Still looking for possible soluions.

All related fuses OK? Just for grins try pulling the ECM/BCM fuses under the hood for a couple minutes so it resets.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ArhhGee View Post
    I guess I'll update this periodically with any changes, right now I don't have time to really get too much into fixing it but maybe in a couple days/weeks I'll get it over to the dealership and just let them take care of it. Once I do that I'll post the fix here for future reference.

By the way, all the electrical wiring/harness seems to be in great shape and clean so it might not be that but I guess you never know. I'm thinking maybe something is wrong with the anti-theft system because the lock symbol is always on, I couldn't find it in the manual on whether that's the anti-theft symbol, does anyone know? And if the car thought I was trying to steal it, would it disable all the electrical components and not allow the car to start? Just my theory. Still looking for possible soluions.
    Hello ArhhGee,

Thanks for posting and informing me of your next steps. I will be sure to be on the lookout for your updates.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Almost sounds like the switch that lets the vehicle know that it is in park so that it can start. Have you tried "jiggling" the shift lever? Maybe running it up and down the shift range.

You might want to make a distinction between saying "turning it on". There's a difference between attempting to start the car and "turn it on".

Also, sounds like there is some sort of electrical glitch, has your car been involved in a flood? or extreme rain situation?

royan97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX - V8

Can you remove the key? I had a problem over a month ago where the wire from the transmission to the key was shorted. So the car thinks its not on park so it will not start the engine. After replacing the wire, the car was starting fine already.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.