Should I make the jump to an SRX?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Should I make the jump to an SRX? in Cadillac SRX Forums; So my pain in the butt 300m has finally started to self destruct on me (power steering pump, half shaft, ...
    strvinmarv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Should I make the jump to an SRX?

So my pain in the butt 300m has finally started to self destruct on me (power steering pump, half shaft, and a yet unknown coolant explosion this week alone!) and I found myself a pretty good deal on an 04 SRX v8 with 114k for $6600 which is doable for me, and I am hoping to appeal to your guys good nature to tell me what I should be looking for as possible problems with this car. I am just entirely done with mopar, they have been turning out junk for far too long. I see from reading through the mileage thread that there are quite a few people with high mileage 04s with relatively few problems, but is that the norm? Also, is there anything that I should be looking for as a deal killer that is a typical problem? It seems mostly well maintained, but online pictures cant really say too much there. Any advice that any of you could give me would be very much appreciated, and as an added throw in, is 6500 a good deal for that car if its in good shape? Thank you all in advance for any tidbits that you can give me.
    -Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    A decent mileage v8 isn't bad. Main issues I've dealt with not engine related are transfer cases, wheel hub bearings, front lower control arms, pain in the ass front turn signal bulbs, lake Cadillac in the spare tire area, to name a few. Try to get the service records and have it looked over thoroughly before purchase.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Should I make the jump to an SRX?

If it has MRC it could be an expensive repair when and if needed.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

strvinmarv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Well, the big one that jumps out at me is the transfer case, how often does that go bad, and are there any signs they are on their way out? Also with the mrc shocks, I have seen a lot of stuff on those, what are the odds of those needing a change out at 430 or so a piece? Also is it the shock or the controller that goes bad on them. I guess if it needs a little bit here and there that's fine, but are these vehicles that you are dumping money into pretty consistently? Thank you for your quick responses!

Personally mine is a money pit I've spent $6k out of pocket in less than two years and the warranty has spent about $5k. And still needs a lot of work including an engine. Bought it at 69k I'm almost at 103k now. On these forums you won't hear too many ppl bragging about it its mainly issues and complaints. But that's my fault for buying a used poorly maintained low mileage vehicle. And a shady warranty company. But I've heard about the chains in the transfer cases a lot on here not sure what causes them to fail haven't had that issue yet.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

My 04V8 and 09V8 have been problem free and awesome to me.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    As with any car check it out. With the Srx get your surgical gloves out an go over your intended car with a fine tooth comb. Read the forum an write down problems other members have and look for those on the intended car. Best of luck

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

A 9 year old SRX will come with some issues unless it was owned by GLAKE. :-) PJ

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

I'm not unhappy with mine, but I wouldn't buy one with over 100,000 miles unless you're good enough of a home mechanic to do your own repairs. It's a fine driving vehicle, but likely won't be low cost to run the second 100,000 miles.

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

If I could take back my purchase I would. I failed to do my homework. It's a good car but the V6's oil usage is completely unacceptable. The fit and finish isn't that good either. I just had the top glove box door break at it's automatic sprung hinge. That really pissed me off. Obviously a poorly designed component. The big sunroof is also problematic. I had it "fixed" under warranty twice but it still fails to close on occasion (reverses by itself). The fuel economy is also poor for a V6. ~19mpg combined is horrible. My big F150 does better than that. If you want a Cadillac look at the 2010 or newer SRX's or CTS wagons. The engines were redesigned and the fit and finish is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by rlh6805 View Post
    If I could take back my purchase I would. I failed to do my homework. It's a good car but the V6's oil usage is completely unacceptable. The fit and finish isn't that good either. I just had the top glove box door break at it's automatic sprung hinge. That really pissed me off. Obviously a poorly designed component. The big sunroof is also problematic. I had it "fixed" under warranty twice but it still fails to close on occasion (reverses by itself). The fuel economy is also poor for a V6. ~19mpg combined is horrible. My big F150 does better than that. If you want a Cadillac look at the 2010 or newer SRX's or CTS wagons. The engines were redesigned and the fit and finish is much better.
    Your lucky mine barely pulls 16mpg combined and 19 highway. Dodge ram with 200k does better.

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Your lucky mine barely pulls 16mpg combined and 19 highway. Dodge ram with 200k does better.
    16?? WOW!!! That is truly horrible.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Run an never look back........But to be fair if you do there are great guys on here to help you, use Rippy for parts to support a member(no he's one of the honest, I will call dealer)and he has competitive prices

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

It depends a lot on how you drive, traffic and the terrain you traverse. My '99 Vette gets 27-29 mpg on the freeway with the cruise control set at 79 and 9-10 mpg at the track. My last fillup in the SRX after 195.8 miles was 13.6316 gallons or 14.3637 mpg. That's combined but more freeway then city miles.

It's fine with me because gas millage has never been a concern with me otherwise I would have bought an economy car.

Bill

Yeah its normal driving lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.