Should I make the jump to an SRX? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Should I make the jump to an SRX? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Well the Vette is an extreme example. Funny thing though is that the freeway mileage is 1-2 mpg better now ...
    SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

Re: Should I make the jump to an SRX?

Well the Vette is an extreme example. Funny thing though is that the freeway mileage is 1-2 mpg better now than it was stock with 100+ hp less. The SRX does its duty in the SF bay area and that means lots of hills and lots of traffic. A trip to SF from my new place 30 miles outside of SF can take as little as 30 minutes or as much as an hour and a half depending on traffic. SF has a lot of hills with some so steep they have steps instead of sidewalks. In my old place in SF, a trip to my favorite supermarket was from 50ft above sea level to 900ft over 3 miles with a few ups and downs in between and of course lots of traffic.

On an economy run on the freeway, my Srx has gotten 22mpg at 73mph in the past but normally on trips I take a Vette if I'm driving.

Bill

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Since we are off topic? For mileage I also am not concerned, but admit for the size engine and speeds I do on the the autobahn, it does well, now town driving is a different story. Also sport mode and you can watch the gauge drop. But then I did not buy this for mileage..having said that I also did not plan to replace every under body part on this truck either. Unfortunately repairs on this truck is a domino effect. If I had paid a cheap price for this truck I would of been glad (hobby wise) to tinker, but I paid big euros for a low mileage 1 owner. That's what bitters me to no end. And the parts I am replacing should never go out at the 50,000 mile mark and that's the mileage I am replacing them, so they probably already were bad thousands of KM before

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

A 9 year old SRX will come with some issues unless it was owned by GLAKE. :-) PJ
    Oh, I have issues, no expensive ones yet; how else do you think I'm able to offer so many suggestions. The last cars of mine, actually the only, that I didn't work on myself were my new '60 and '61 fuelie vettes.
    Whiplash_89 likes this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Bet you wish you still had both of those, based on what they are going for on the Mecum auto auctions aired on the VELOCITY channel. PJ

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

There's such a thing as a Velocity Channel? Orandaberg, you are dealing with an abused vehicle, in hind sight probably an unwise purchase, but any model/brand of car treated like yours had been would probably have similar issues. I think the SRX discussed in the first post of this thread could be a good purchase, but just to satisfy Orandaberg's curiosity, be sure, before purchase; to put it on a hoist and inspect the undercarraige parts for any corrosion, rust and other maladies and if it looks like expensive repair work negate the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by TimRSRX777 View Post
    There's such a thing as a Velocity Channel? Orandaberg, you are dealing with an abused vehicle, in hind sight probably an unwise purchase, but any model/brand of car treated like yours had been would probably have similar issues. I think the SRX discussed in the first post of this thread could be a good purchase, but just to satisfy Orandaberg's curiosity, be sure, before purchase; to put it on a hoist and inspect the undercarraige parts for any corrosion, rust and other maladies and if it looks like expensive repair work negate the purchase.
    Poor craftmanship. You cannot abuse brake lines to the point
    Of layers of rust. A sagging radiator. Transmission oil cooler lines rusted to the point of replacement. Torn boots on shocks that had no tow hitch on the car. Rotten power steering hoses. A non working tire depoyment system. 3 set of batteries. Rotors trusted to the point to replacement(4). Front wheel bearings. There are no hills in Holland and no great snow storms. Its just rain. Its flat as a pancake. This truck had less then 45000 miles on it when bought so it must have already been going to pot at half those miles to get it to the point I got it. This is just a dentist who drove to work daily for 5 years. I am simply passing on my hardships to another member as it should be. I want him to look it over so hes not stuck with either poor quality or abused truck.
    Please note I am referring to My SRX. This opinion is soley based on my experience. Any statement I make about what to look for is up to the reader to judge. If he/she thinks the SRX needs no looking over that's ok too. So its not my curiosity to satisfy.

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Yes but the water floating in the Netherlands is not Fresh Water.. its salty. Salts rust anything really fast, ask anyone in the northern USA midwest. It's used to keep roads free of ice. I agree a good looking over is always important, but I disagree with you in that the problems with your car are not as you say from "poor craftsmanship" unless you mean post factory craftsmanship.

Ok I can live with that post craftmanship. The car came from western holland on the German side. No salt water. Sand is used. Which could be just as bad. But snow comes and goes. Nothing like the US has. Its usually melted by mid day. My biggest mistake is I did not lift the car and remove the under splash shield. Had I of seen this I would of run away. My crusade now is to post with pics my hardships so others can avoid it. Hopefully the advice will still be coming on my threads.

Sorry orandaberg, but your rust problems are due to the fact that Holland has an oceanic climate much like coastal areas of northern California: rain and no snow but cursed by the salt air breezes coming off the ocean. Living in San Francisco for over 40 years, I've seen it destroy vehicles of all brands as well as anything metal associated with the exterior of a house when there was no preventative action taken by their owners. Telephone poles sometimes catch fire because of salt buildup on the electrical insulators and transformers blow up as well because the power company has stopped washing them down to save some money. My SRX was purchased in December of '08 and has never been garaged as my garage space is for Corvettes only. It survives virtually rust free because I wash it every week and I have the washing done at a car wash that does an underbody wash. The torn shock boots are due, most likely, to a broken air line that was never repaired, leaving the shock boots uninflated and subject to damage. You do have a point with the wheel bearings and some other parts because the bean counters won't let the the engineers err on the side of durability and instead ask them to come up with the cheapest part that most likely will make it through the warranty period at least and sometimes they miss.

Bill

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

In my 3 years on this forum I have not read of or seen pictures of an SRX that comes anywhere close to the underside rust and corrosion of oranda's SRX. I live 1 mile from the Atlantic ocean and get on shore ocean winds every day. Salt is used liberally to treat the roads in the Winter. Roughly 80% of my driving is highway where they really lay on the salt. But the underside of my 2007 remains fairly clean. So I am very surprised at oranda's rust and corrosion. PJ

Great not only are the shocks in need of replacement. I have to contend with the fact there maybe a broken air line! Somewhere in life I did something wrong to be the owner of this.

PJ, the weather on the eastern seaboard is nothing like the coast of northern California. While you may get an onshore breeze now and then and a nor'easter in the winter, the wind out here comes off the ocean 24 hours a day for weeks even months straight without a break. Add to that the evening fog that is so damp you often have to use your wipers that also comes with the wind most of the time and doesn't lift till late the next morning, if at all. It's an almost constant barrage of damp salt air. However a dozen or so times a year we get offshore winds that sometimes last 3 or 4 days at a time. Since I no longer work and don't have to commute, I finally moved 30 miles east to the real world with sun and stars and seasons.

Bill

Meticulous is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 Srx v6, '98 corolla, '90 toyota pickup

My gas mileage sucks nuts big time. I have an 06 and its sitting in the garage with a smoking battery I've had few problems with my yr model. The cat, radio and battery needed to be changed under warranty. All the other stuff was user error. Oh I forgot i do have a small power steering leak that i failed to get fixed before my warranty expired but i just make sure it is filled. I would say do ur research for your yr model on the problems like ur doing and make sure u have ur car looked at thoroughly. Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.