Cadillac Owners Forum banner

06 3.6 awd possible v8 swap?

9K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  repnatl 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever done this if so what all is needed I don't care to keep the awd system would rather have rwd. If I keep this truck and replace this oil drinking v6 I will swap the north star in. Wondering if its worth it.

#3 ·
I would have thought its possible , the ecu would need changing and the running gear may be different , but there is certainly the room for it.
would the brakes need uprating or are they the same , as the ones on my V6 feel like they could stop a truck.
similarly is the suspension upped for the V8 as its heavier.
People swap engines all the time.

his SRX is an 06 btw.

but do agree , probably easier and overall cheaper to purchase another vehicle with the V8 already
as if all the extra parts do need to be upgraded it would be a major project.

#4 ·
I was thinking that. Honestly have no interest in ever purchasing another srx due to the nightmare this one is. Just thought the v8 would be fun but in thought would be too expensive. Figured I'd start a thread as others might have thought of the idea or actually did it

#6 ·
I found the entire swap harness ecu motor motor mounts and transmission for $2500 with 62k miles on it lol just curious how much work it would be and what other accessories cause its pointless to put another 3.6 in it. If not my plans to get rid of it remain but its an OK truck just too many issues so close together.

#8 ·
First off, there would be a LOT of module communication programming to do and at dealer prices-?????
Second, that's a lot of money to avoid a $6 bottle of oil every thousand or so miles.

#9 ·
Lol yeah true its past oil usage its sucking on gas mileage (14 city 19 hwy and 16.5 overall) and horsepower is garbage hardly can pass anybody doing 60mph and I sat at wide open the other day and after 80mph it was almost out of breath took over a mile to get to 90 and use to do 100 easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.