08 srx v6 awd engine damaged by dealer...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Sheepish
  • 1 Post By Whiplash_89
  • 1 Post By sgilbert
  • 1 Post By conedoctor
  • 1 Post By Cadillac Cust Svc
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 08 srx v6 awd engine damaged by dealer... in Cadillac SRX Forums; 2008 Cadillac srx v6 awd went in dealership for power train warranty for oil sweating engine. Dealer replaced all seals ...
    fblaneyhomes.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 srx v6 awd

Question 08 srx v6 awd engine damaged by dealer...

2008 Cadillac srx v6 awd went in dealership for power train warranty for oil sweating engine.
    Dealer replaced all seals and gaskets from front engine cover, rear differential replaced, waterpump was apparently leaking and mixed coolant and oil so they replaced it too. How long does this work take and cost?
    4 days after receiving it from dealer apparently fully repaired, diagnosed and tested it got a new knocking sound and engine vibration especially when idling. The very next day internal engine components broke and siezed (I found out after that bearing siezed and rod broke) on the highway. This happened the next day after taking it back to dealer explaining the problem and he guaranteed me its ok and can wait after the l one ng weekend since they were busy.
    Now they claiming that its due to lack of maintenance since the first time it went in they said it was missing 3.8L of oil (service advisor says we drained it and thats how we know, service manager says we topped it up and thats how we know, gm says no they never changed your oil or coolant like I was advised but the reason for failure the previous owners have done an aftermarket oil filter which failed and stopped oil flow to engine). So now they are denying warranty and gave me only 2 options.
    Replacement of new engine $7500 my cost or rebuilding all internal components of this engine $6800.
    Please help, what can I do?
    Who can I complain to?
    Where can I get good work and parts for cheaper price?
    I bought this truck and took it in for one simple problem and came out wiyh a huge problem less than a week later.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Re: 08 srx v6 awd engine damaged by dealer...

how can they have mixed coolant in your oil but not changed it?
    fblaneyhomes.com likes this.

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

It really bothers me when they screw somehing up and they won't own up to it. While the oil issue is common they told you that they fixed everything and gave you the car back. Now they are back peddling and trying to get out of it. This is why people have sour feeling towards certain brands. Not always the cars, but their dealers.

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

Apparently, this happened in Toronto, Canada, Call Cadillac Canada ASAP as a precautionary measure; it'll end up there eventually anyhow.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

First post and no updates, there has got to be more to this story, not saying it is not 100% true but it can't be this crazy.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by fblaneyhomes.com View Post
    2008 Cadillac srx v6 awd went in dealership for power train warranty for oil sweating engine.
    Dealer replaced all seals and gaskets from front engine cover, rear differential replaced, waterpump was apparently leaking and mixed coolant and oil so they replaced it too. How long does this work take and cost?
    4 days after receiving it from dealer apparently fully repaired, diagnosed and tested it got a new knocking sound and engine vibration especially when idling. The very next day internal engine components broke and siezed (I found out after that bearing siezed and rod broke) on the highway. This happened the next day after taking it back to dealer explaining the problem and he guaranteed me its ok and can wait after the l one ng weekend since they were busy.
    Now they claiming that its due to lack of maintenance since the first time it went in they said it was missing 3.8L of oil (service advisor says we drained it and thats how we know, service manager says we topped it up and thats how we know, gm says no they never changed your oil or coolant like I was advised but the reason for failure the previous owners have done an aftermarket oil filter which failed and stopped oil flow to engine). So now they are denying warranty and gave me only 2 options.
    Replacement of new engine $7500 my cost or rebuilding all internal components of this engine $6800.
    Please help, what can I do?
    Who can I complain to?
    Where can I get good work and parts for cheaper price?
    I bought this truck and took it in for one simple problem and came out wiyh a huge problem less than a week later.
    Hello fblaneyhomes.com,

I apologize for the experience you have had with your engine and dealership regarding your SRX. Have you spoken with our customer care team about this yet? If you have, could you provide me with your case number and your VIN in a private message so I can look into your case for you? If you have not, I would like to look into the situation for you. Could you please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with? Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to assisting you with this concern.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

fblaneyhomes.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 srx v6 awd

Sorry I'm new to this and in real estate and my son finished school trying to spend time with him.

----------

Hello Gregory,
    I do apologize but im new to this and not sure how to private msg, am I msging private now as I hit reply?

----------

I've spoken to gm canada and they say as a manufacturer, there is no defect.
    They pretty much said to deal with owner of Nurse Cadillac dealer for the way they treated me and my vehicle.
    They kept on hinting me that dealers are independently owned and operated.

----------

That's exactly it, even though it's not my fault or a vehicle issue, I still offered to take partial expense just to fix situation and get back on the road but Steve the service manager is all about himself and his employees being perfect and flawless. At Nurse Cadillac dealer in Whitby, Ontario

----------

That's what's killing me is that when I asked service advisor Drew McIntosh about flushing coolant and oil to get it fully upto date, I was told that they did that part of the work they did. I asked him why paper work says topped up and originally had 3.8 L of oil missing with no sensors or lights or indications of low oil. He says yeah thats the way we put it in writing. I asked him how did you know it was missing that much oil, he says when we drained it. I asked Service manager same question accouple of weeks later he says we topped it up 3.8L. Susan from gm executive office says they never changed your oil or filter a month later. No one is consistent with their answers so I have no idea who to trust.

----------

The truck was originally American, I bought it from the 2nd owner who imported it into Canada in 2010. So I got comments from gm and dealer saying its American and when I tried to contact north America gm they say vehicle is in Canada so we can't help you.

----------

Conedoctor, I was also in states for 5 days which I didn't have time to access replies. I do apologize for delay.

----------

Everyone I spoke to that dealt with this issue from service manager to gm executive office I told them I wish they denied my warranty the first time when I took it in for simple oil sweating issue when they made up that imaginary number that no one can prove of 3.8l oil missing. Since I wont be where I am today them fixing something to get gm warranty money then screwing people's vehicles to come back for more money.

I drove through the back alley of dealership to look for my truck after they pulled out the engine and found it dumped in parking lot thats open to anyone with hood unlatched, screws/bolts/nuts/hardware thrown all over windshield wipers area and around, them using under my hood as storage for jacks and tools, and they are trying to tell me they didnt lose some screws the first time that they probably didnt put back or even maybe forgot a tool or 2 inside which broke internal parts of my engine.
    And im sad to say that the service manager after seeing the pictures I took of this says we treat all our cars the same.

This can't be this crazy.....

Ok so you got the car back and then it broke?

Can you scan and post the work order because this looks cut and dry here, now if it was 3.8l low on oil the damage may have been done and there are no sensors for low oil, GM did install an oil level monitoring device under the hood but most users don't use it and some have said it is not correct but that is another thread.

If you ran it out of oil and it broke then they are not at fault, it kind of sounds like it was damaged and they are getting the stories all crossed up but at the end of the day it very well may not be the fault of the dealer. If they delivered it to you out of oil or something then they should step up but it would have shown up right after getting it, crappy situation for sure and they were last in the motor so they should be able to give you a written "this is why it failed" and why it has nothing to do with us.

Or get an engine used or ebay and move on.

PINOYTICO9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 222005 Cadillac SRX

Hi fblaney, cadillac customer asked me to private message for nothing, they contacted me not the other way around, and GM will not help nor will dealer, there are a few who choose to fix - wear - and switch make(that will be me) and those who fix - wear - buy another one same make when time is due because they are "loyal" to brand or what I will call "BRAND WASH", I follow wise lessons from nature, my point? As soon as you're born first thing is to cut umbilical cord and "DETACH" you from your mom...live and learn, they spend millions to get you suck in, stuck in, believing, following, defending, something that you had to work for your a... off to buy, pay, wrestle dealers and banks for a good price and on top of that they don't let you out of the dealer without YOUR vehicle full of UNPAID advertising i.e. stickers-plate frames-etc. Sorry to bring bad news but you are in for lenghty battle; they go by what was first egg or chicken and is not a win - win situation for you.

They sell Cadis as a luxury made in the U.S. brand and I'm rooting for them and truly, quality wise my overall humble consumer opinion is that they are close, but they are way way way back and handicaped when it comes to these sort of issues in customer satisfaction/retention and backing up and fixing issues that NO automaker is excempt of, but BMW - Benz - etc got a different approach and DO serve their clientele; worst of all, GM and dealers are in denial, deluted, blind folding themselves and help is nowhere in sight...WWHHHOOOAAA!!! I might be getting banned from this forum, where is FREEDOM of speech???

Your post should not get you banned but it makes little sense, are you trying to say I that BMW and MB don't break and if they do they smile while taking 3 times the money from me to repair?

I had a friend who's car was taken on a "test drive" by a tech and the car was not to be driven but the owner had a GPS tracker on the car so he found out, the dealer denied that it happened. So do I go on the BMW forum and say buy a Cadillac because BMW steals your car during service? No that's crazy talk...

I need to tell my MIL that the broken rear springs on her 09 X3 with like 30k on it should have been a free repair, but here in the real world the dealer told her to get lost and would not fix for free nor even help her, BMW said the same thing not their problem. When both springs fail and it is a known issue for the 3 series and they ignore it puts BMW in the same boat as the rest, and as for dealers blame the dealer not the brand.

I still don't get how failing used cars is GM's fault, do the Germans fix cars for free?

During my X5 and Q7 research I have learned lots about how those companies fail all the time and the constant problems that go unfixed and ignored by dealers and manufactures.

End of the day buy what you want guys but don't think the grass is greener cause it's not, cars break and dealers can be stupid and life is not fair.

Now for the OP, if you did not check the oil and ran it low then the fault is on you no matter what the dealer said or how messed up the paperwork is, demand they tell you how you caused the failure of a car 4 days out of their service.

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

I say you do it, but be well prepared.

You did a lot of repeating but no new information, did they explain why it failed?

It all seems a bit odd, you get it back and the next day a rod breaks, do rods usually break from a bearing or does the bearing just spin?

I would think a short block would not cost so much or repair the parts that failed and that's it, what does all internal engine parts mean?

I said it before and I will say it again, more to this story than meets the eye.

If you think I am being difficult then fine but think about how difficult a GM lawyer will be, you don't have any facts and keep saying the same thing and now want damages for lost time after 2 months, build a case better than he said she said IMO.

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

Lets cut to the chase.

Do you have proof that a GM oil filter was being used?
    Do you have proof that although an aftermarket oil filter was used the warranty still covers the repair?
    Do you have proof that the dealer improperly repaired the car and that caused the engine failure?
    Do you have proof that it took 2 months for GM to render the decision on warranty coverage and for the dealer to provide a cost estimate for repair?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions then go see a lawyer. Otherwise, it is time to fix the car and get back on the road.

Bill

That's the short version.

Can you post pictures of the broken rod or the crank?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by fblaneyhomes.com View Post
    Sorry I'm new to this and in real estate and my son finished school trying to spend time with him.

----------

Hello Gregory,
    I do apologize but im new to this and not sure how to private msg, am I msging private now as I hit reply?

----------

I've spoken to gm canada and they say as a manufacturer, there is no defect.
    They pretty much said to deal with owner of Nurse Cadillac dealer for the way they treated me and my vehicle.
    They kept on hinting me that dealers are independently owned and operated.

----------

That's exactly it, even though it's not my fault or a vehicle issue, I still offered to take partial expense just to fix situation and get back on the road but Steve the service manager is all about himself and his employees being perfect and flawless. At Nurse Cadillac dealer in Whitby, Ontario

----------

That's what's killing me is that when I asked service advisor Drew McIntosh about flushing coolant and oil to get it fully upto date, I was told that they did that part of the work they did. I asked him why paper work says topped up and originally had 3.8 L of oil missing with no sensors or lights or indications of low oil. He says yeah thats the way we put it in writing. I asked him how did you know it was missing that much oil, he says when we drained it. I asked Service manager same question accouple of weeks later he says we topped it up 3.8L. Susan from gm executive office says they never changed your oil or filter a month later. No one is consistent with their answers so I have no idea who to trust.

----------

The truck was originally American, I bought it from the 2nd owner who imported it into Canada in 2010. So I got comments from gm and dealer saying its American and when I tried to contact north America gm they say vehicle is in Canada so we can't help you.

----------

Conedoctor, I was also in states for 5 days which I didn't have time to access replies. I do apologize for delay.

----------

Everyone I spoke to that dealt with this issue from service manager to gm executive office I told them I wish they denied my warranty the first time when I took it in for simple oil sweating issue when they made up that imaginary number that no one can prove of 3.8l oil missing. Since I wont be where I am today them fixing something to get gm warranty money then screwing people's vehicles to come back for more money.

I drove through the back alley of dealership to look for my truck after they pulled out the engine and found it dumped in parking lot thats open to anyone with hood unlatched, screws/bolts/nuts/hardware thrown all over windshield wipers area and around, them using under my hood as storage for jacks and tools, and they are trying to tell me they didnt lose some screws the first time that they probably didnt put back or even maybe forgot a tool or 2 inside which broke internal parts of my engine.
    And im sad to say that the service manager after seeing the pictures I took of this says we treat all our cars the same.
    Hello fblaneyhomes.com,

I apologize for the delay in responding back to you, as our office was closed due to Independence Day. We are, unfortunately, a U.S. based team, but we would like to look into your situation for you. Since you are new to the forum, the private messaging ability may not work. You could also send the information that I requested earlier to socialmedia@gm.com, with the subject line as “ATTN GREG” so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for responding back to me and I will look for your email.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.