2007 Transmission Addidtives
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2007 Transmission Addidtives in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi everyone, I am a first time owner of an SRX with 114,000 miles on it. All my previous vehicles ...
    frankcottnj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

2007 Transmission Addidtives

Hi everyone, I am a first time owner of an SRX with 114,000 miles on it. All my previous vehicles Ihad used slick 50 in the trans and always got over 200,000 miles on them. Are addidtives recommended for the GM trans?. I feel I should do some sort of addidtive to protect this new investment. I hope to have a happy relationship with my SRX and this board.
    Thank you in advance.

Frank, 2007 SRX 114,000 stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 2007 Transmission Addidtives

Try google the question, IMO no additives should be used on a good motor or transmission, its the usage and maintenance that promotes long life. Possibly with heavy duty use it could be feasible,

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

GM does not recommend additives, it just recommends Dextron VI. Dexton VI is more than just a name for an ATF that has to be licensed to use it; it is a set of specifications that an ATF has to meet or exceed. Slick 50 claims to be able to restore your ATF and perhaps it can. But why gamble on a claim that may or not be true when you can simply change your old Dextron VI for new and change your filter while your at it?

If you want an ATF better than a Dextron VI then you need an ATF that starts with higher quality base stock oils, as additives alone won't do it.

So, as I see it, you have 3 choices. You can ask yourself the Clint Eastwood question: Do I feel lucky? If the answer is yes, go for the Slick 50. Or you can exchange the old ATF for a new fill of Dextron VI, change the filter for added protection and use the severe use change interval of 50,000 miles for added protection. Want the best that money can buy for your baby? Then go for an ATF that exceeds the specifications of Dextron VI but be prepared to unbuckle your money belt as your talking about an ATF that sells for around $11 to $12 a quart.

Bill

frankcottnj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Ok that sounds like a plan. Now here is what I have been contemplating, I was going to change to oil while engine is warm by dropping the pan, then measuring what I take out and replacing that. Then starting the car letting it get to warm state per manual and then topping off fluid so I get a drip out of side fill hole. This way I get out more than 5 quarts and help flush most of the old fluid out. My only problem is I have to see if I can add fluid from the top of engine (the conventional way).
    frank

Hmmm, thats not a proper flush, if you are state side, you must have access to a place to do it right, they use a transmission flush unit connecting to you cooler lines, they flush out a equal amount that goes in. YOu need to raise the car to put in the oil. You never mention if you have a V8 or V6

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Quote Originally Posted by frankcottnj View Post
    My only problem is I have to see if I can add fluid from the top of engine (the conventional way).
    frank
    Unfortunately you can't add fluid from the top. Like many newer transmissions, ours is a sealed unit. Fluid is added thru the fill plug in the bottom until it runs out. Engine must be running and fluid between certain temperatures.

Donīt know about the V6 but my V8 has a fill plug above the pan right side midway

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.