Horn Inop
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Horn Inop in Cadillac SRX Forums; My car failed our state inspection because my horn doesn't work. I have no idea how long it hasn't worked ...
    Dachristianman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Horn Inop

My car failed our state inspection because my horn doesn't work. I have no idea how long it hasn't worked because I've only owned the car for a year.

I checked my relay and from there, the horn works.

I can set my alarm off, and the horn works from there, so I think I'm down to my steering column. Can anyone give me some guidance on what wires I should be testing in there? I found a block of 4, 2A fuses and all of them have power going to them except for the yellow wires which don't have power going to them. Is this the 2A fuse showing up on the wiring diagram? The wiring diagram I have doesn't show what color wire the horn wire is going into the steering column.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

04 SRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Probably the horn button under the air bag. Pull the bag and check the contacts.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: Horn Inop

1Bad......I think he wants clarification on the wiring (and diagram) so he doesn't have to start pulling it apart unnecessarily.

PJ

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Here- and watch out for the yellow wires, usually SIR related.
    04 horn.pdf
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Thanks guys. But even from that .pdf, I can't tell what color the wire is under the horn pad. If I knew where that C202 was located, I could disconnect it and from there check the ground going to the horn switch.

Also, how does the airbag come off? I don't mind pulling it if it's not hard to remove.

Tom

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

C202 is a 40 pin connector at base of column. For bag removal you could make your own tool or maybe find at a parts store. Disconnect (-) battery cable 5min before working on SIR components.
    04 wheel.pdf
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Thanks for all the replies. I got it fixed. A couple notes for those using the search engine in the future and find this post.

Greeting from 2013! Here are a few tips.

All of the trim under the steering column is easy to remove. Just pull off the phillips-head screws and the plastic comes off. Be aware of the 1 screw behind the hood-release handle. Also, the steel knee plate comes off with 2 10mm (?) bolts to allow access to a small fuse block that you'll need to check (details further down in this post).

If you desire, you can remove your airbag with a #2 screwdriver. Make sure you disconnect the battery, and you can pull the airbag fuse located where your heels would be if you are sitting in the back seat on the passenger side. It's under the carpet below the leading edge of the seat. The #2 screwdriver is inserted in each of the 3 holes on the rear of the steering wheel. Turn the now inserted flat-head screwdriver 90 degrees and one edge of the cover will come off. Do that 3 times and the entire front of steering wheel comes off with the air bag intact. If it explodes, you did something really wrong. Note! Be sure to replace the fuse before you hook the battery back up as I imagine that the lack of power to the airbag would cause a hard fault in your airbag system. I'm not 100% sure about that, but unless you have money to burn, don't test my theory.

The horn button ground wire is a black wire attached with a simple clip/plug to the metal structure inside the steering wheel. It uses the metal airbag guide pins to provide a ground when you slam down the horn button in anger in traffic. Normally, this informs the other driver of your anger through a series of reactions inside your SRX, but you're currently out of luck with this. Anyhow, the black wire goes into a plug also located inside the steering wheel and comes out the other side of the plug as a green wire that goes down the center of the steering column to a 2A fuse that is co-located with 4 other 2A fuses. If you pull this fuse out, you can use a wire to ground out the side of the fuse that goes to the horn relay located in the under-hood fuse box. By grounding that fuse out, you're providing a ground for the horn relay which then provides power down to your horns. If the horn still doesn't blow from grounding out that side of the fuse, good luck because your problem is located somewhere from that point forward.

But before you take the airbag out, check to see if your steering column has a good ground. The entire steering column is grounded with the 4 13mm bolts securing it to the vehicle. If your steering column isn't grounded, the horn won't operate. Yes, all 4 bolts can be loose enough to cause the steering column to lose ground. So if you lose your steering column ground, just tighten the bolts a little until you get the ground back and your horn should blow.

Have fun in whatever year you're in as time sure does fly doesn't it?

T. Christopher

Janisrick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX V-8 AWD

Congrats on getting your horn working again! You never did mention what the problem was though. Can you share what you had to repair in order to get it working again.

The horn switch is grounded through the steering column. If the 4 bolts that connect the steering column to the vehicle come loose, you lose your ground and the horns won't work. That is what happened to mine. After extensive troubleshooting, I tightened the bolts and the horns started working again. I found it odd that all 4 bolts could get loose enough to cause the horn to lose it's ground, but they did.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.