Cooling Problem after Timing Chain Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Cooling Problem after Timing Chain Replacement in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi all, I have been reading and learning from the forums for a couple of years. Last weekend I replaced ...
    the_crowbar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX AWD

Cooling Problem after Timing Chain Replacement

Hi all,

I have been reading and learning from the forums for a couple of years. Last weekend I replaced the timing chains on my wife's 2005 SRX 3.6L V6 LY7. I replaced the water pump and thermostat. The timing chain part went fine. The motor is much quieter now.

I followed the factory "special coolant filling" instructions.

They are essentially:
    Remove the upper radiator hose and fill with 50/50 mix.
    Fill overflow bottle to 1" above full cold mark
    Run engine for 3 mins with throttle advance to 3,000-3,5000 RPM
    Check coolant flow through overflow bottle
    Repeat steps if no flow through overflow bottle

There is no coolant flow through the overflow bottle. The radiator hose is full of anti-freeze, so I tried to run the engine with rpms to 3-3.5k.

With the engine hot and idling, the upper radiator hose is not pressurized. You can easily flatten it with your hand. It does get very hot. If I flatten it I see coolant spray into the overflow tank.

Yesterday, my wife drove the car for about an hour. When she arrived she said it smelled "hot" and the check coolant level message came on the interior display. Temperature gauge stayed right in the middle; it's normal position.

Last night, the coolant was about 1" below the full cold mark. I attempted to perform the factory filling procedure, but the upper hose was full of coolant and running the motor produced no coolant flow through the overflow tank.

The upper hose is still soft with the engine running. It seems that it is not pressurizing. I see (and feel) no leaks, but I have not yet raised the car to do a better inspection on the rear of the motor.

Can someone suggest something else I need to check or do? At this point I am stumped. I have added 9 quarts of coolant to the system so it should be full. I removed about 9 while doing the timing chains.

Thank you,
    James

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Let it run for 10 minutes heat on full blast does it get hot (the temp inside the cab)?

Still no flow and no or little heat you have a bad or stuck or installed backwards thermostat.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Cooling Problem after Timing Chain Replacement

Wrong procedure, from the SM-
    "Slowly add a mixture of 50/50 DEX-COOL antifreeze and clean drinkable water to the cooling system through the top of the surge tank opening. Refer to Approximate Fluid Capacities .
    Slowly fill the cooling system until the coolant stabilizes at 25 mm (1 inch) above the FULL COLD mark on the surge tank.
    Install the surge tank cap.
    Start the engine.
    Run the engine at 2,000-2,500 RPM until engine reaches normal operating temperature.
    Allow the engine to idle for 3 minutes.
    Shut the engine OFF.
    Allow the engine to cool.
    Add or remove coolant as necessary from the surge tank until the level is stabilized at the FULL COLD mark."
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

repnatl is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Glake has it I had the same issue after my chains new pump and thermostat started running hot. Let it cool for hours and did it again the coolant system burped the air bubble and I was good also you can't install this thermostat backwards its all part of the housing

the_crowbar2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX V6 AWD

I am the original poster. I changed my email address this morning and have been locked out of replies every since. (Still waiting to hear back from contacting the admins.)

@1BadCadSTS I will drive the car to lunch and see if the interior heat is working.

@glake89 I use AllDataDiy to get the SM. It lists two fill procedures. One is the normal method, and one is "speical." It lists the special fill as being required, if the seal on the water pump was broken. That seal was broken. AllDataDiy is down right so I can not check, but I think the procedure I listed is correct for the special fill. I will double check once AllData is back up.

Thank you,
    James

I drove the car during lunch and the interior heat is working very well. It is 80F here today, but with the heat on 90 inside, the vents are blowing very hot air.

The upper radiator hose is still soft while the car is running.

I follwed glake89's fill procedure. It is not all that different from what I posted. After my idling and luch time driving, the coolant in the overflow bottle is still at the same level.

At this point, I think it must be a small leak that is preventing the system from developing pressure. Tonight, I will try replacing the clamp on the upper radiator hose at the engine end. If that does not fix it, I guess I will need to remove the thermostat and replace the seal on it. I can feel all the way around the lower radiator hose connection and it feels dry. The hose from the overflow bottle to the thermostats housing also feels dry. They are just rather hard to see.

Thank you,
    James

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

Sounds like a bad thermostat to me, even if it is new. I would check it by putting it in a pot of boiling water to see if it does indeed open.

Bill

If you're not developing pressure, the coolant cap is bad.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

@glake89 Do you mean the overflow tank cap? It would need to be stuck open to vent the pressure right? I will try to depress the vent inside it with a screw driver and see if it still has movement. I could also put a balloon over the overflow tank vent outlet and see if it inflates. That should tell me if the pressure is escaping there.

Your first response mentioned the thermostat in backwards, but that is not possible. The thermostat is built into a housing (the part is about $55! Expensive just for a thermostat.) If the thermostat is bad (stuck open or closed) would that prevent pressure buildup? It seems the entire coolant system, including the overflow tank, is designed to be pressurized to 15psi.

Thank you,
    James

T stat has nothing to do with pressure. Pressure develops as liquid heats up and expands, The cap seals until about 15 lbs. is reached then vents anything over that. If it's bad (cap) car will get hotter than normal when idling for long periods and in slow stop&go traffic. The pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant. [primmer over]

conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D

You beat me too it, that is grade 10 high school mechanics, man that was a long time ago, can't believe I remember it.

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    If you're not developing pressure, the coolant cap is bad.
    Granted that is a posibilty but if the thermostat doesn't open there isn't going to be much pressure because the upper hose and radiator will be relatively cool and isolated while the water pump will tend to isolate the the hot water from the radiator. To me the one of the key things he said was "no coolant flow".

Bill

Hello again,

I got home late last night and was not able to do much. I did however, check the overflow tank cap this morning. The pressure relief part (spring loaded piece in the cap) has movement. The holes that allow pressure to escape are closed and when I press the stainless steel piece inside the cap they open. This was a very non-scientific test, but at least the basic function appears to be working.

I felt around the thermostat housing with a clean paper towel. When I pulled it back up, there was a drop or two of orange coolant. I am fairly certain I have a small leak near the thermostat. It is a PITA to inspect better. I will take the engine cover off this weekend and see if I can reseat the thermostat and replace the seal for the lower radiator hose. The hose from the overflow tank has only a spring clamp on it. I need to inspect it as well.

One more data point, with the engine at idle, the upper radiator hose is very soft. With the engine at 2-2.5k RPMs, the hose is more firm, but not as much as it should be.

Thank you,
    James

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

I'm pretty sure your to put sealant tablets in when change coolant or break system open.That would take care of coolant your seeing on paper towel.

repnatl is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Those sealants clog the system up and can cause more damage I wouldn't use those.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.