2007 Trans problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2007 Trans problems in Cadillac SRX Forums; So, we've had the car for 15 months, it has 80000 miles on it. A week ago i thought i ...
    NipRing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N* Sport

2007 Trans problems

So, we've had the car for 15 months, it has 80000 miles on it. A week ago i thought i detected some slipping but maybe it was my imagination. Not so, last night pulling away from a (slightly rolling) stop sign, the engine just revved and i didnt go. I put it in park, then back in drive and i drove home. No "Service Engine" light or anything has come on the dash. Now, i bought an extended warranty from the car dealership where we bought the car. However upon reading the finer print, there is a lifetime (of the 5 year/100,00 mile warranty) payout for transmission repair (and that includes labor) of $2000....Had this information been in that sleek little tri-fold brochure the salesman showed me, i would have opted for something better. Anyway, after reading other posts about trans replacements, etc in the neighborhood of $3500, i decided to take it to AAMCO instead of the dealer. We dropped it off an hour ago, i followed my wife and she said it wasnt until the last turn into their lot that the trans did any slipping. I just got a call from the mechanic, he said he took it for a drive and at one point, it indeed would not drive from a stoplight. But he managed to wait a bit and then it drove. But...and here's the head scratcher...he just asked me if we've ever had any problems with the entire dash/gauge cluster not working?? Um, no. He's gonna look into it and get back to me.

**He just called before i'm posting this, said he found just a blown fuse, and replaced it. Dash/gauges are fine. But why did that even happen?

Does this sound familiar to anyone??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Re: 2007 Trans problems

The trans issue at 80K probably is not that unusual. These transmissions can be problematic. I had the valve body replaced in my 09 at 40K. The dash going out is another issue altogether. If the same fuse blows again then there is some trouble. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

So these transmissions can be problematic because you had a valve body replaced on a different transmission, machines can be problematic in general.

I would check the fluid level and go from there, lets hope the trans shop can trouble shoot this.

Any noise or anything when it will not move?

The one time it wouldnt go for me, i didnt hear anything other than the engine revving. And i actually drive alot without the radio on because Im a bit paranoid of problems just like this. Any issues i detected were by feel of the pedal and shifter. They are going to call me back tomorrow. I'll post up what they find

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I wonder if the linkage is a touch off and your not in gear?

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

This is the same symptom my buddy experienced when his transmission ran low on fluid. I added some and the transmission worked fine. I must also note that he had a leaky gasket which was apparent once I got a look t his driveway. Unfortunately, the SRX has no dipstick to check the trans fluid level. You never said whether you checked the fluid level or had it checked. Nor did AAMCO say they checked it. Please let us know how this story ended.

PJ

Well the warranty company had to send out an inspector to check out the car before the would authorize any work. That happened yesterday. AAMCO called me today said they'd get the trans out today and open it up monday. Since there is no dipstick, in the 15 months we've owned it, I havent checked it. I dont know if AAMCO checked it. I do know that the warranty coverage is $2000 and this morning on the phone with the mechanic, he was already guestimating it was gonna be over that. But he said he's dealt with this trans before and he also said he's gonna try and get what ever he can out of the warranty company. And yeah i know he might just be trying to put more money in his pocket, its still less out of mine. I will update with the findings. I hate it when i search the web trying to solve any kid of problem, find forum posts that describe the exact problem i'm looking up....and they never followed up whether or not they solved it. I will follow up.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

NipRing......I think most don't check their transmission fluid level unless there is a leak, a symptom, or one is buying pre-owned. The inspector probably checked it before approving the work and found the transmission fluid level up to spec.

This is not intended to be a critique on AAMCO, or on your local AAMCO shop. But make sure you check out their standard warranty that is included with the price they quote you. They also offer offer a longer warranty for an addional fee.....might be worth considering if the AAMCO extended warranty on the transmission is longer/more miles than the warranty extension you took out on your SRX.

When I used AAMCO I had received my quote for the repair, and they had suggested a couple of additional things while the trans was apart.....flywheel replacement was one of them. And I agreed, made sense while all of the labor was a sunk cost anyway.

BUT....I declined the additional warranty. As they suggested, I did take my vehicle back for them to check things out post repair. And there were no apparent isuues.

The short of it is: the same transmission failed 30,000 miles later, and AAMCO suggested I give them another shot at it and, oh yes, write them another check. Wasn't happening. The next time around I used a local private transmission shop, no further issues.

To be fair.......this work that AAMCO performed was on a Ford product, not the SRX. I always wondered if it were the Ford (replacement) parts that failed or the AAMCO work that was the weak link.

PJ

----------

Quote Originally Posted by rlh6805 View Post
    The trans issue at 80K probably is not that unusual. These transmissions can be problematic.
    ???? That is news to me.

PJ

So....here's the situation. Apparently the radiator leaked into the tranny lines. Now, i havent even looked under there much but i'm assuming the bottom of the radiator is the trans cooler, like my chevy van with 700r4. I had a brief conversation this afternoon with the mechanic and one of the things I'm going to need is a "trans pak". I dont know what that is but apparently its dealer only and $700. And a new radiator. He told me there is a service bulletin out there for this problem but i havent checked that out for myself yet. And i guess if it isnt a recall, it isnt going to help me anyway. Told him i need an estimate, waiting to hear back. I'll update when i know more.

SFVetteman is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

The mechanic appears to be clueless and FOS (a technical medical term). From what I see on the parts diagrams, the oil cooler for your SRX is entirely separate from the radiator and coolant cannot possibly leak into the transmisson oil cooler system. I would get the SRX out of that shop ASAP.

Bill

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Quote Originally Posted by SFVetteman View Post
    The mechanic appears to be clueless and FOS (a technical medical term). From what I see on the parts diagrams, the oil cooler for your SRX is entirely separate from the radiator and coolant cannot possibly leak into the transmisson oil cooler system. I would get the SRX out of that shop ASAP.

Bill
    I second this! Somewhere in a past life I posted a picture of the trans. oil cooler. You have to remove the lower cover to actually see it sandwiched between the radiator and ac condenser.

Well, the guy's already taken the trans out plus i've already gone through dealing with the warranty people and got the repair ok'd. Now, if you guys are SURE there's no way coolant could get into the trans, i'm gonna drive over there first thing in the morning. I've given him permission to remove the trans but thats it so far. But he's a transmission mechanic, i'm not. That info has to be a sure thing.

SFVetteman is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

Transmission oil cooler and pipes: http://www.gmpartseast.com/diagrams/...-6e0402401.png

Radiator: http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Prod...=6E1&Year=2007

You could ask him to show you where the transmission cooler lines attach to the radiator.
    By the way, a "transpak" is a shift improver kit made by B&M Racing Products to allow manual control of the transmisson gears for older transmissions and is less than $100. I doubt if your Cadillac dealer knows what a transpak is, let alone give you a price for one.

Bill

Ok Vetteman, thank you for those diagrams. I'm going get those pdfs on my phone and just drive over there right now. Honestly, he seems like a very nice guy so i dont want to go in there "guns blazing". I'm firm believer in the honey vs. vinegar argument. But i'm no fool and i'm gonna ask all the questions I need to until i fully understand.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Post #11 in this link: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...kage-pics.html
    shows the cooler between the radiator and ac condenser. The two lines with the braided covering go to the power steering cooler which was part of the V92 package. I've got the V6 engine but I doubt if your N* has a different setup.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.