2007 Trans problems - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2007 Trans problems in Cadillac SRX Forums; Ok, i went down there and talked to him. I told him I did some checking as to the separate ...
    NipRing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N* Sport

Re: 2007 Trans problems

Ok, i went down there and talked to him. I told him I did some checking as to the separate trans cooler and showed him the diagram showing as much. He apologized for jumping the gun at the end of the day yesterday by telling me he thought it was the radiator leaking in to the trans by assuming it cooled via radiator. He seemed a bit embarrassed and his apology seemed genuine to me. But i saw the fluid, there is water in it. Also, my saying "trans pak" was wrong, its the transmission solenoid pak. Now if he wanted to lie to me and pour a little water in the pan to trick me? Why bother, just say the solenoid pak was shot. So its still a mystery as to how water got in there. Was it in a flood? Not while we've owned it.

Also, i forgot to ask about the bulletin he mentioned.

I'll update as i have more info.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

That is odd, please post updates.

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    So these transmissions can be problematic because you had a valve body replaced on a different transmission, machines can be problematic in general.
    Not to dilute the OP topic, but I would say yes, that indeed these transmissions can be problematic given my experience and what I have read regarding 5L40-E. A valve body going bad at 40K isn't good and shows that there may be inferior engineering processes that were followed in the design. At 40K there is no maintenance that would be required so the lack thereof cannot be blamed either.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Yes but he does not have a 5l40 and saying a trans has issues with out numbers holds as much weight as saying all the v-6's use oil...

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

5L40-E is the 5-speed, made in France, also found in BMWs. As Cone said twice, this is not the transmission the OP has. He has the 6 speed.... 6L50-E. PJ

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

There are a number of things that you can point to on the SRX and say it's problematic and back it up with posts that have been made on this forum. You will be hard pressed to do that with the 5L40e, let alone the 6L50 the OP has. BMW had problems with the 5L40e because they made a mistake and put it behind an engine that produced more torque than the transmission was designed to handle.

Bill

NipRing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N* Sport

Ok, here's the follow up.

The best guess, after scrutinizing the bottom of the car, it was involved in a flood and it was never disclosed to us. So, while we got a "good deal" when we bought it, we paid in the long run. We live in WI so surface rust is nothing out of the ordinary, but now i see only the lower pulleys have rust on them.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Nearly 4500 dollars for repairs! that plus a down payment and your trade in and you could have a new car! I hope you get 50,000 or more miles. I do not even want to think it would cost in Europe! Well at least you have a guarantee, read the fine print since its a limited warranty!

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

The good news is that AAMCO stands behind their warranties from what I have heard. The bad news is you would have saved a bundle at the Cadillac dealer. Automatic transmission assembly (remanufactured) is $2340 MSRP. Of course, you would probably have to add the customary diagnostic charge, transmission fluid and a couple of hours labor to R&R. The only other option would have been an independent shop but unless you know of a really good one, that could very well have turned out to be the worst choice.

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.