Heat !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Heat ! in Cadillac SRX Forums; I notice that while driving that temp gauge stay up in the middle. But when I stop somewhere turn of ...
    Caddy Dave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 srx V8 Northstar

Heat !

I notice that while driving that temp gauge stay up in the middle. But when I stop somewhere turn of the car and restart the car the temp gauge goes all the way hot like its about to overheat. I had just replace the eng fans thinking that will fix the problem but NOT. I don't understand why the computer is not telling the fans to kick into high speed while i am driving to cool off the engine. How can I fix this? New York summers is HOT! Heat will do damage to the engine if not fix.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

Re: Heat !

Change thermostat. If that doesn't work, flush the coolant & replace with new.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

When the car is off you are no longer cooling so the temp may spike a bit but you are no longer making heat so it will come down, I don't think you can overheat a non running engine and it will not do damage if it is not running.

What you restart does the temp go back down to where it should be?

Maybe the temp sensor is before the rad so it gets some hot coolant when off.

When restart the car you will hear the fans turn on in high speed (that is the only time you here them in high speed) until the temp goes back to where it should be. I just don't want to be driving and it overheat and the temp gauge don't show it.

----------

When restart the car you will hear the fans turn on in high speed (that is the only time you here them in high speed) until the temp goes back to where it should be. I just don't want to be driving and it overheat and the temp gauge don't show it. So far the fans, and radiator was flushed and put in new coolant.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

This phenomenon is called heat sink. Not unusual and not harmful. Sounds like your car is doing what it should. Don't worry, be happy!
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Or heat soak I have used when talking intercoolers

Ok so what happens when you turn on the AC and now the car is running hotter.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Try it and see. I would expect no problem.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

Caddy Dave, what you have to realize is that for emission reasons today's engines are designed to run much hotter than they used to be. I haven't looked in the service manual, so I don't know the exact temperatures for the SRX but the factory setting for high speed fan operation in my Vette is 235 and the engine is not considered to be overheating until 255. I suspect the SRX is similar.

Keep in mind there is also a warning light that will come on in the SRX when it is overheating and the AC will automatically shut off.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.