Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Not ready to pass inspection.

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SFVetteman 
#1 ·
When to get the car inspected and it did not pass. It give me a reading saying that the 02 sensor and the evaporation sensor is not ready. So the guy ask if i had disconnected the battery. I told yes when I change the mass air flow and the throttle body. So he said to drive some more and come back next week and take another test. Did anyone had this problem and if you did what you think i should do.

#4 ·
I suspect he's reading real -time data and either doesn't like what he sees or is looking for some grease.

#5 ·
That means that the computer needs to run tests on the O2 sensors and the fuel evaporation system. Most likely the computer lost the results of the last tests when the battery was disconnected or if codes were cleared.

There are specific conditions that must be met before the computer will run a test. For the O2 sensors a run on the freeway combined with a few acceleration runs will get the cats hot enough and satisfy the conditions for the computer. The evaporation system test is a bit trickier and requires a cold engine, some idling and some driving in the 2000 rpm range, I believe. This can take a few tries unless you know someone with a Tech2. The Tech2 can run the evaporation test.

Bill

#6 ·
they didn't say you failed... they said your car's system was "not ready" (it had not completed it's self tests to ensure that all systems were operating correctly)

there are over a dozen systems that the inspection machine will test and in some states you have to have all of those systems in their "ready" state

when you clear your codes it will put all the systems into "not ready" and over time they will run through whatever it takes to get them into "ready" state

if one of those systems has a fault it will 'throw' a code and prevent that system from becoming "ready" and also fail you inspection (due to the code)

when your system has no codes 'thrown' but is "not ready" the inspection machine will just refuse to inspect the vehicle

as i said, some states will require all systems to be "ready" and some states will let you slide with one, two or maybe three systems "not ready"

#11 ·
Having same problem with my 00 sts. just swapped engine from an 03 sts. tried to get inspection yesterday.
showing O2 sensor and EVAP not ready. put 100 miles on it since installing new fuel level sending unit and
clearing all codes . would have thought it had ran enough cycles by now .

#12 ·
The O2 sensor test should be relatively easy to bring about. You need a warmed up engine to start with and the cats have to be hot. I have always been able to it with a full throttle run onto a freeway up to the speed limit (more if you dare) then slowing down to about 50 and doing it again after cruising for a few minutes at the speed limit. Repeat the hard acceleration runs and cruising for a few minutes before repeating for about 30 minutes. The test is done very quickly once conditions are met and is repeatable in the same drive cycle.

The fuel evaporation test is a lot more hassle because it requires a stone cold engine to run the test. Once the engine is started, it needs some idling and then some driving combined with a bit of idling (neighborhood driving is good for this) . This test, once it starts, needs a few minutes to complete while the engine is coming up to normal temperature and the PCM tests the fuel evaporation system. Since the test requires a stone cold engine, the PCM will only attempt once per drive cycle. Obviously, this can take a few days, if the car is driven in a manner that tends to warm it up too quickly.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.