Not ready to pass inspection.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Not ready to pass inspection. in Cadillac SRX Forums; When to get the car inspected and it did not pass. It give me a reading saying that the 02 ...
    Caddy Dave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 srx V8 Northstar

Not ready to pass inspection.

When to get the car inspected and it did not pass. It give me a reading saying that the 02 sensor and the evaporation sensor is not ready. So the guy ask if i had disconnected the battery. I told yes when I change the mass air flow and the throttle body. So he said to drive some more and come back next week and take another test. Did anyone had this problem and if you did what you think i should do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    What are the code numbers? We can def help more when you post those so that we can give you good direction on where to start

Re: Not ready to pass inspection.

Thats the thing when he plug up the code thing to the car had no codes,I didn't understand.

----------

This is after he did the inspection. I was thinking a code should of came up as well. but nothing.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

I suspect he's reading real -time data and either doesn't like what he sees or is looking for some grease.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

That means that the computer needs to run tests on the O2 sensors and the fuel evaporation system. Most likely the computer lost the results of the last tests when the battery was disconnected or if codes were cleared.

There are specific conditions that must be met before the computer will run a test. For the O2 sensors a run on the freeway combined with a few acceleration runs will get the cats hot enough and satisfy the conditions for the computer. The evaporation system test is a bit trickier and requires a cold engine, some idling and some driving in the 2000 rpm range, I believe. This can take a few tries unless you know someone with a Tech2. The Tech2 can run the evaporation test.

Bill

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

they didn't say you failed... they said your car's system was "not ready" (it had not completed it's self tests to ensure that all systems were operating correctly)

there are over a dozen systems that the inspection machine will test and in some states you have to have all of those systems in their "ready" state

when you clear your codes it will put all the systems into "not ready" and over time they will run through whatever it takes to get them into "ready" state

if one of those systems has a fault it will 'throw' a code and prevent that system from becoming "ready" and also fail you inspection (due to the code)

when your system has no codes 'thrown' but is "not ready" the inspection machine will just refuse to inspect the vehicle

as i said, some states will require all systems to be "ready" and some states will let you slide with one, two or maybe three systems "not ready"
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Rippy is on it.

So am I, plus I told him what to do to get the PCM to run the tests more quickly.

Bill

Basically have to drive it for awhile typically they run the tests after a few drive cycles

Ok thanks for everyone's reply.

steelerfan10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 sts

Having same problem with my 00 sts. just swapped engine from an 03 sts. tried to get inspection yesterday.
    showing O2 sensor and EVAP not ready. put 100 miles on it since installing new fuel level sending unit and
    clearing all codes . would have thought it had ran enough cycles by now .

The O2 sensor test should be relatively easy to bring about. You need a warmed up engine to start with and the cats have to be hot. I have always been able to it with a full throttle run onto a freeway up to the speed limit (more if you dare) then slowing down to about 50 and doing it again after cruising for a few minutes at the speed limit. Repeat the hard acceleration runs and cruising for a few minutes before repeating for about 30 minutes. The test is done very quickly once conditions are met and is repeatable in the same drive cycle.

The fuel evaporation test is a lot more hassle because it requires a stone cold engine to run the test. Once the engine is started, it needs some idling and then some driving combined with a bit of idling (neighborhood driving is good for this) . This test, once it starts, needs a few minutes to complete while the engine is coming up to normal temperature and the PCM tests the fuel evaporation system. Since the test requires a stone cold engine, the PCM will only attempt once per drive cycle. Obviously, this can take a few days, if the car is driven in a manner that tends to warm it up too quickly.

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.