Nav Disc Updates - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Nav Disc Updates in Cadillac SRX Forums; Not like this is rocket science. There are really only 2 suppliers of road maps for mobile navigation, TeleAtlas and ...
    politby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX -08
    Not like this is rocket science. There are really only 2 suppliers of road maps for mobile navigation, TeleAtlas and NavTeq. All the hardware manufacturers get their maps from them.

Also with a few Android exceptions all nav units run some form of Windows CE or Embedded. So apps are built on a standard platform.

I think the problem is that most car manufacturers have their nav systems made by niche companies like Denso, not mainstream ones like Garmin, Pioneer etc. And these companies have little interest in anything beyond the initial OEM contract. Map updates are treated like some sort of bespoke service and they charge exorbitant fees for what essentially is the same NavTeq map updates sold by e.g. Kenwood.

Irishwhisky1956 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): radiant bronze '08 SRX4

Re: Nav Disc Updates

Its the same reason the U.S. government did not hire the people who designed websites for ebay paypal amazon etc etc etc because that would have been the logical thing to do

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

navteq and teleatlas also charge different license fees depending on the usage ... in car applications cost much more than handheld
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

DougC.. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

bendebusk - there is a lockpick for on the fly nav. Route, you hold the bottom right corner of the screen, blue screen click run buttton and then the button on top right. Nav will allow for on the go trip planning.

search on here for better instructions

holstbnet is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think nav disc updates for the 07-09 SRX will probably be available for quite a while yet, because it uses the same disc as the full-size (GMT900) trucks and SUVs, so there are a LOT of vehicles on the road for the forseeable future that will be in need of updates. It's usually the more obscure or specific nav systems that get the raw deal on updates. Although that being said, the 04-06 SRX nav is the same as the C6 Corvette and XLR so...

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by holstbnet
    I think nav disc updates for the 07-09 SRX will probably be available for quite a while yet, because it uses the same disc as the full-size (GMT900) trucks and SUVs, so there are a LOT of vehicles on the road for the forseeable future that will be in need of updates. It's usually the more obscure or specific nav systems that get the raw deal on updates. Although that being said, the 04-06 SRX nav is the same as the C6 Corvette and XLR so...
    Not the same as Vette. Same as XLR and Seville Deville. Vette shares map disc with STS Grand Prix and Saab 9-5.

bendebusk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

Thanks, Doug! That actually works for my car. I was kind of hoping for a permanent solution and one that would allow other inputs into the stock navigation unit. But I'm going to go ahead and add a backup camera, but am replacing the rearview mirror with an OEM video version.

Now if I could figure out how to tie in bluetooth phone and audio, I'd be in great shape. From reading this forum, though, I don't think anyone's really figured this out.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by DougC.. View Post
    bendebusk - there is a lockpick for on the fly nav. Route, you hold the bottom right corner of the screen, blue screen click run buttton and then the button on top right. Nav will allow for on the go trip planning.

search on here for better instructions

Quote Originally Posted by bendebusk
    Thanks, Doug! That actually works for my car. I was kind of hoping for a permanent solution and one that would allow other inputs into the stock navigation unit. But I'm going to go ahead and add a backup camera, but am replacing the rearview mirror with an OEM video version.

Now if I could figure out how to tie in bluetooth phone and audio, I'd be in great shape. From reading this forum, though, I don't think anyone's really figured this out.

Thanks again!
    Blustar and navtool will solve Bluetooth and backup camera.

politby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX -08
    Quote Originally Posted by holstbnet View Post
    For the U.S. yes, but European owners are already SOL because there is no disc available newer than 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Blustar and navtool will solve Bluetooth and backup camera.
    For a 2005 SRX with no OnStar and no XM radio (i.e. European model)? I've done a lot of research, but haven't found a device that could do this for my particular vehicle. Am I missing something? Is there a particular brand/model for which I should be looking?

Thanks!

Blustar

And

Navtool

Blustar

And

Navtool
    My apologies! I didn't realize Navtool was a brand-name. I checked their website and see that they have an $800 video interface device on a Black-Friday special at just $400. Yikes! I'll have to take a pass on that.

As for Blustar, unless I missed something, it looks like this device requires factory OnStar. As previously noted, European models don't have it.

Oh well, it was worth a quick look. Thanks for the info!

My apologies! I didn't realize Navtool was a brand-name. I checked their website and see that they have an $800 video interface device on a Black-Friday special at just $400. Yikes! I'll have to take a pass on that.

As for Blustar, unless I missed something, it looks like this device requires factory OnStar. As previously noted, European models don't have it.

Oh well, it was worth a quick look. Thanks for the info!
    As long as you have the wiring and mirror then it will work. It runs off the gm data class

The navtool yeah not cheap.

As long as you have the wiring and mirror then it will work. It runs off the gm data class

The navtool yeah not cheap.
    No OnStar mirror. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the wiring is not included in the European models. I really want to be able to play music from my iPhone. Preferably, via bluetooth. If not, then at least through a decent wired FM modulator. Thoughts?

Recently, I bought an OEM rearview video mirror and camera on eBay in order to switch it out with my stock mirror and add a backup camera. Parking in Europe, at least around NW Italy, is horrible! A lot of the parking is in small parallel spaces. Even those are pretty scarce! Add to that the problem of owning a large American car...

No OnStar mirror. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the wiring is not included in the European models. I really want to be able to play music from my iPhone. Preferably, via bluetooth. If not, then at least through a decent wired FM modulator. Thoughts?

Recently, I bought an OEM rearview video mirror and camera on eBay in order to switch it out with my stock mirror and add a backup camera. Parking in Europe, at least around NW Italy, is horrible! A lot of the parking is in small parallel spaces. Even those are pretty scarce! Add to that the problem of owning a large American car...
    Do you have the rear seat entertainment screen in the console?
    How about the TV option?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.