2008 exhaust resonator rattling in side... any diy fix thoughts?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2008 exhaust resonator rattling in side... any diy fix thoughts? in Cadillac SRX Forums; ok, took 2008 srx awd to dealer for what i thought was a converter fix, and it was not the ...
    amcon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX, AWD V6. Esclade 2005 AWD NS

2008 exhaust resonator rattling in side... any diy fix thoughts?

ok, took 2008 srx awd to dealer for what i thought was a converter fix, and it was not the issue...

the resonator is rattling in side. its not the heat shield or any other part.

so my thoughts were to take a self tapping stainless screw with a fender washer and some muffler sealer stuff... and tap it in to the resonator to try to "hook" the rattling thingy in side. figure i will start at the middle left and right, front and back then if needed i would tap one or two in the sides...

what do you think?

----------

ok... additional question what about just removing the resonator and H piping the exhaust?

and would that effect the car getting inspected? emissions test ? im thinking it would be fine cuz its after the cats and no sensors are hooked up to it...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Sure the cat didn't break up and get caught in the res?

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: 2008 exhaust resonator rattling in side... any diy fix thoughts?

WELCOME AMCON......the last time I had an exhaust system issue with a vehicle that was only 5 model years old was NEVER. If it were me, I'd still be looking for somehing exterior to the cats, etc.for that racket. Short of that, the cats would be my suspicion as well. Can you isolate left or right? In addition, in my house I always have to be cognizant that "someone other than myself" ran over something, paid it no mind, said nothing, and something is now loose, bent, or broken.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

It does not take much to unbolt the whole exhaust from the car provided you have access to a lift, if you really think its the resonator you can shake it once its off, back to your question of H-pipe, do not know about that but I took out my resonator and have 2.5" x pipe 2.5 " from cat to x-pipe and VT mufflers in the rear.If I am not mistaken its the cats that remove emissions and the resonators just reduce sound. you should still pass the emission test. Please correct me someone if I am wrong.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

The odds of being able to blindly repair the resonator as described are slim-to-none in my opinion.
    If a cat had broken up badly enough to throw big chunks back into the resonator, you would probably be getting a CEL and set code P140 or P160 for insufficient cat performance. The O2 sensor just behind the cat does this job.
    Removing the resonator and replacing with pipes should not effect emissions or visual inspection testing, as long as the system is repaired/modified reasonably well, not leaking, and the exhaust is exiting at the rear bumper as designed.
    The only issue would be exhaust note, maybe some drone; but if you did install an H-pipe in place of the resonator, that would probably reduce & smooth the exhaust tone, and actually make it sound deeper and better - if you like that sort of stuff on a luxury wagon (I would).

DG

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Sure the cat didn't break up and get caught in the res?
    THANK YOU! never thought of that! that is exactly what it sounds like... and if i can prove that the cats are still under warntee... and the dealer will replace... nice!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    WELCOME AMCON......the last time I had an exhaust system issue with a vehicle that was only 5 model years old was NEVER. If it were me, I'd still be looking for somehing exterior to the cats, etc.for that racket. Short of that, the cats would be my suspicion as well. Can you isolate left or right? In addition, in my house I always have to be cognizant that "someone other than myself" ran over something, paid it no mind, said nothing, and something is now loose, bent, or broken.
    i do understand your point, but it is def ratteling in the resenator... i have been under car, and it sounds like a baby rattle x 10!!!

Quote Originally Posted by orandaberg View Post
    It does not take much to unbolt the whole exhaust from the car provided you have access to a lift, if you really think its the resonator you can shake it once its off, back to your question of H-pipe, do not know about that but I took out my resonator and have 2.5" x pipe 2.5 " from cat to x-pipe and VT mufflers in the rear.If I am not mistaken its the cats that remove emissions and the resonators just reduce sound. you should still pass the emission test. Please correct me someone if I am wrong.
    throug all of your input i am going to remove the resonator, empty the contense and im 99.9% im going to find cat pieces in there. and from what i have studied and have found out the resonator can be removed and still pass inspection (nys) as long as the sound isnt crazy... the removal of the res shouldnt increase idle noise, and should only increase heavier gas pedal noise 15 to 20 persent. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by The Wrench View Post
    The odds of being able to blindly repair the resonator as described are slim-to-none in my opinion.
    If a cat had broken up badly enough to throw big chunks back into the resonator, you would probably be getting a CEL and set code P140 or P160 for insufficient cat performance. The O2 sensor just behind the cat does this job.
    Removing the resonator and replacing with pipes should not effect emissions or visual inspection testing, as long as the system is repaired/modified reasonably well, not leaking, and the exhaust is exiting at the rear bumper as designed.
    The only issue would be exhaust note, maybe some drone; but if you did install an H-pipe in place of the resonator, that would probably reduce & smooth the exhaust tone, and actually make it sound deeper and better - if you like that sort of stuff on a luxury wagon (I would).

DG
    agreed, it would be a welcom tone!!

----------

thanks guys i will follow up when i have the H-pipe made ... i will install my self.

Ok ill post pics... But i cut it off yesterday pretty simple, emptued the contense.... It was or it looks exactly like 1/4 inch crushed stone... Yep you heard me.... Stones!

So, that being fixed i added 18 inch stock pipe (painted) and 4 band clamps... Small ajustments, and no exhaust leaks...

Issues... Thought the pipes were 2.5 inch but... They were 2 inch diameter... So after getting the correct parts it was a simple put togather of two straight pipes...

The cats /exhaust rises up to the resinator, so the pipes had to be cut directly at the resinator...just means i had a small bend to deal with. Seems fine as i slid a stock straight pipe over each end and added a band clamp to it. Thank you autozone.

As for the back it almost lined up perfectly, it was high by 1.5 inches, so i clamped that junction loosly then tightened the front fully,and then the back clamps last.

As for the over all sound it was exactly the same at at start up,and normal exceleration. "getting on it" the sound was throaty like a V6 import (not like a small block 350 ) and i was very suprised at the difference in the throttle response ! It was extreamly responsive and jumped when i fully excelerated! Before i would wait for the car to move out of its way (it is just a whimpy V6) now it seemed to jump to attention and go!...

I will monitor any increase fuel milage.

The only issue i see is that i have a vibration around 3500 to 3800 that seems to be comimg from the tail pipe area... I will identify it and do whatbis nessary to suppress it. Im sure its some kind of connecttion to the undercarrige or a heat shield that needs some attention.

Over all the terrible vibration sound is gone, and it sounds 15 persent more "throaty" , and a positive noticable throttle response.

Total cost
    Two 2 inch straight pipes = 16 dollars
    4 band coamps = 41 dollars
    Total = less then 60 bucks

further up date...

gained 1.4 miles a gallon, prob actually a bit more i have been a little hard on the gas pedal enjoying the sound... (not the rattling sound - lol)

----------

ok, so i located some of the rattling sound, it was prob doing it before and i just didnt hear it because of the "rocks" in the resenator. there is a heat shield around the spare tire and it was extreamly brittle, broken in numerous spots... so i took the rest of the pieces off.

60% of the rattling sound gone... But on deceleration, from rpms above 4500 i get a vibration from the inside of the muffler(mostly the passenger side) . .. i'm guessing the mufflers are not able to handle the increased air flow and prob needs to be replaced now... i'm going to take it to a local shop that i have had custom exhaust work done on my big block suburban. and see if a x pipe will fix it... (remember its straight piped now) if they think that will NOT solve the problem, the rattle (only on deceleration) is easily liveable.

Update : I just had Fairport ny, custom exhaust Experts hand two magna flow
    Mufflers, clean up the straight pipes replacing the resonator... And man it sounds great! Tight Agressive rumble with zero interior drone and at a price that was actually CHEAPER then I could do it my self!

Car sound amazing!

xboxman72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX4 V8 Sport Package

How could there be rocks in there?

Quote Originally Posted by xboxman72 View Post
    How could there be rocks in there?
    No clue... I'm completely stumped...

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Debris from a broken cat, or childish prank.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.