hitch install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By glake89
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, hitch install in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi everyone. . Finally ordered a curt class 3 hitch to install.. can not wait to get it installed and ...
    jgodfrey82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX NorthStar - just purchased, and loving it!

hitch install

Hi everyone. . Finally ordered a curt class 3 hitch to install.. can not wait to get it installed and be back in towing action, only been able to take my waverunner out once in 2 years!

ive watched the install videos and should be OK.. just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips or advice for the install? Will i be ok with regular hand tools?

Also ordered the GM flat wire harness.. haven't seen instructions on how it installs, but since it is GM I think it just plugs into the existing harness with a pass through for the existing plug?

Thanks.. happy Friday!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: hitch install

I did it by myself with no jack and just hand tools in 1 1/2 hours, you need silicone spray and if your car is like mine don't cut off the stud just tap it out the back (this will make sense when you see it) and call it a day.

Get your tap ahead of time so you can clean out the holes, M14xcan't remember but search the site and it is here somewhere. The book calls for 79ft/lbs so have you torque wench.

Super excited. . Installed my hitch last night, went well and can't wait to get the waverunner out this weekend! Hardest parts were cutting the lower bolt (no way you tapped these out!?) And holding the hitch up while getting the first couple of bolts in.
    Attached Images

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

No wonder it was so easy, with car laying on its side.
    ATM and bwilkins750 like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I could not get the bolts in either, but used a tap and WD40 the bolt threads and they went in with just my fingers, backed up on some ramps and had loads of work room, used my knees to hold up the hitch while I screwed in a couple bolts to hold it. I assume your spare deployment worked since you did not mention it, I had to cut the wire on mine as it did not work

Spare came down fine. . Actually first time I have tried, so im glad to know how it works now. Holes were fine, just sprayed with liquid wrench. My comment was regarding cone doctor saying he had tapped the lower stud out the back.. mine were steel and almost looked welded. I didnt have a good blade for my grinder, so I used bolt cutters, which was indeed the hardest part.

Wife actually helped hold the hitch up for me to get the first bolt in after a friend didn't show.. (I was thankful for her).. trying to balance on the jack was next if she couldn't. . But we pulled it off, and now so will my caddy.

Thanks guys

mwswarrior is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

I installed the same hitch but used a floor jack to hold it in place while I worked on it. Didn't take long at all.

Only drawback... looking at the underside of the rear end for that long made me REALLY want to replace the stock exhaust with something nicer.

I sure did tap the bolt out, well 5lb hammer anyway. I have both the old ones if you want a picture. My spare would not come down so I had a look at the owners manual and followed the instructions on what to do when it won't come down and poof it worked.

Its a awful system, when your stuck on the road in the rain, trying to figure out why its not working and looking in the manual, already pissed of anyway cause you have a flat

I just don't agree, mine worked just fine but it was caught on the safety latch, so up I went and then down it came.

Thats the whole point about what you pay for this truck, you should not have to troubleshoot, it should work period, no excuses

It did work, I let it down and it did not go all the way. I looked in the book and it said if it does not go down the safety latch has it, crank it up and then back down and it worked first time just as it should. Like saying the hood does not open just by lifting it, when opened the correct way it works.

We are off topic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.