Sharpshooter asap to help me with leak in jack compartment on back of suv
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Sharpshooter asap to help me with leak in jack compartment on back of suv in Cadillac SRX Forums; 2005 Cadillac SRX with only 32K (had 23K when we got it on 10/'12)extrem hard find from snow bird in ...
    PINOYTICO9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 222005 Cadillac SRX

Sharpshooter asap to help me with leak in jack compartment on back of suv

2005 Cadillac SRX with only 32K (had 23K when we got it on 10/'12)extrem hard find from snow bird in Tampa way above and beyond care,condition, and mileage in and out(I do in/out real detail -tired of paying for "professional detailing" mine is the real thing...but just for me, I take the time, Saturday total inside detail, Sunday total outside detail)

1) jack compartment in rear floods after rain or wash, tried to find leak but no luck; am I missing something? Anyone with a trick up their sleeve to find/stop leak without emptying wallet at dealer or body shop?????? Is it common occurrance on '05's?? Took spare out...nothing, moved as much and many side plastic panels...nothing. Any help, idea, lead, and solution highly appreciated.

2) I know where engine oil flush is but which way to open bolt... push back towards rear end (counterclock)or forward (clockwise)towards front???
    Thank you so very much.

PS SORRY AT FIRST POSTED IN WRONG FORUM

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

Re: Sharpshooter asap to help me with leak in jack compartment on back of suv

Search "Lake cadillac".

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

2) I know where engine oil flush is but which way to open bolt... push back towards rear end (counterclock)or forward (clockwise)towards front???
    Thank you so very much.
    ???????????????
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    ???????????????
    I was kind of thinking if you have not mastered left and right hand threads maybe changing your own oil may not be a good idea.

The pan plug is right hand thread so you need to turn it counter clockwise to loosen it.

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty.

thank you master condoctor, good to know there are privilege ones born with extensive knowledge to help all of us little brains...

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

On rear hatch leak. if you take rear panels off and rear plate and carpet out which needs done to dry everything out you can get in vehicle and run water on rear hatch with it closed and see where water is coming in at. On my 04 it was pinch weld on bottom of opening. it was wicking in past the seal. There is product called drip check(sealer 3M product) I pulled rubber hatch seal off put drip check on pinch weld panels at leak and let it dry over night. The service manual says to put new seal on and discard old . New seal will have sealer on it so you have to clean area where seal goes real good. The interior panel are no fun to get off and not break tabs good luck and have a lot of patience!

DougC.. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

I can almost guarantee you that the leak is coming from the drain tube that came apart. (this tube collects roof water and sends it down the back hatch keeping it outside of the car. The connection severs and causes leak)
    If you remove the retaining screws that hold the rear trim against the headliner (shirt hook) then pull the headliner down just a bit, you'll see the tube in question. I used a zip tie to secure the connection, (not too tight) and have not seen a drop since. Ill bet its the driver side, but could be passenger.

it will take you all but 20 minutes and should cost you a zip tie.

Good luck

-Doug

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I was not rude at all, you asked a question that would worry many people, I hardly call understanding how to take out a plug extensive knowledge, my 5 year old can unscrew a lid.

I just want to prevent your next post to be I stripped the plug on my pan or something like that, if you don't have the ability to do the work no harm in getting it done. I have known people who have done this or broken bolts because they are under the car and got confused.

The tip I can offer is set your ratchet for loosen while not under the car then get under and that way you can only push or pull the correct way.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

While DaveC may be right about a roof drain being the source of the leak, my reading on this forum the past four years would support NSTAR. Faulty pinch welds around the rear hatch. And his recommended fix is correct. The second most common source has been the rear hatch weatherstripping which might be cracked, misaligned, split, loose, or stiff. Read up on LAKE CADILLAC and WATER IN REAR JACK COMPARTMENT threads as suggested. Other sources I have read about: a loose washer fluid line, tail light assembly, and the high mount brake light bar. Good luck, and let us know what you find. PJ

Sure I will tnx, called Cadillac and they direct me to go to dealer for diagnostic (which I have to pay) and then asked me to call them back to "see" what they can do. Check a few web sites for "TSB" did not found one!!! They are extremely important and helpful but all bunch of guys that answer on this forum, although not an easy task, got good feedback and will try to do it myself, checked common srx issues forum and jaw dropped way down to see how common this problem is and as one member said it is surprising and dissapointing from GM not to do a recall just out of not being a life treat issue... still like it a lot and hope to get over bump and enjoy itin past had Fords, Hondas, a Mazda, Volvo, a truly record setter (39 videos showing fault and Chrysler turning heads not to solve and rude west Orlando FL service dealer people) piece of junk dodge grand "carnival" what a circus; and this first GM product fingers cross

----------

Quote Originally Posted by nstar View Post
    On rear hatch leak. if you take rear panels off and rear plate and carpet out which needs done to dry everything out you can get in vehicle and run water on rear hatch with it closed and see where water is coming in at. On my 04 it was pinch weld on bottom of opening. it was wicking in past the seal. There is product called drip check(sealer 3M product) I pulled rubber hatch seal off put drip check on pinch weld panels at leak and let it dry over night. The service manual says to put new seal on and discard old . New seal will have sealer on it so you have to clean area where seal goes real good. The interior panel are no fun to get off and not break tabs good luck and have a lot of patience!
    thnx, printing all good nature people suggestions to get hands dirty, fix it and keep loading it with family and stuff for long trips... thanks to all again

----------

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    I was not rude at all, you asked a question that would worry many people, I hardly call understanding how to take out a plug extensive knowledge, my 5 year old can unscrew a lid.

I just want to prevent your next post to be I stripped the plug on my pan or something like that, if you don't have the ability to do the work no harm in getting it done. I have known people who have done this or broken bolts because they are under the car and got confused.

The tip I can offer is set your ratchet for loosen while not under the car then get under and that way you can only push or pull the correct way.

I will loose these guys help and support if I disrespect you or throw on you my current situation, didn't meant to...in all honest got a thousand thigns going on right now and not one is good, still wife and kids good and healthy but reasons abound why I started changing oil on our Ford, then Volvo and now Cadi; maybe just plain and simple got mentally tired and didn't want to take time to solve something so simple; really don't know why most guys and why not maybe gals too get their hands dirty, and this forum is not about counseling for s....y rough times and how to survive but in my case even if I'm a race fanatic from rally to moto to nascar to F1 etc, I knew little about cars engines and trew myself to the lyons to save $45 on oil change wich means almost a full tank to take wife (and only bread winner) to and back from work for a week, my apologies and thanks for your support, Ed.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post

I will loose these guys help and support if I disrespect you or throw on you my current situation, didn't meant to...in all honest got a thousand thigns going on right now and not one is good, still wife and kids good and healthy but reasons abound why I started changing oil on our Ford, then Volvo and now Cadi; maybe just plain and simple got mentally tired and didn't want to take time to solve something so simple; really don't know why most guys and why not maybe gals too get their hands dirty, and this forum is not about counseling for s....y rough times and how to survive but in my case even if I'm a race fanatic from rally to moto to nascar to F1 etc, I knew little about cars engines and trew myself to the lyons to save $45 on oil change wich means almost a full tank to take wife (and only bread winner) to and back from work for a week, my apologies and thanks for your support, Ed.

----------

Thanx to all helping on this very old issue, my wife and I are planning getting to the bottom of this starting this weekend and for obvious reasons(avoid damaging panels locks, carpet, etc.)will take my time so please be patient and will reply as soon as I get an answer and fix and will as well keep an eye on this post for new ideas and help, printed out not only your suggestions but the ones on the common srx issues forum as well. Don't know if will be succesful but will try a shot at Cadillac before the end of the week in hopes they will not act as Chrysler did even with the 39 videos on hand and will settle at least with maybe a 50/50 money sahre??? far fetch? don't know if don't try.

To clarify about TSB, found quite a few but none related to leak, that's what I meant. Thanks again to you all and hope to come back with good news in a near future, Ed.

ED.......I just had my SRX in for Lake Cadillc again. Just damp this time, and the issue was the rear weather stripping. It was cracked. Replaced. I will be checking it out again as we just got some heavy rains. Will report back. PJ

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    ED.......I just had my SRX in for Lake Cadillc again. Just damp this time, and the issue was the rear weather stripping. It was cracked. Replaced. I will be checking it out again as we just got some heavy rains. Will report back. PJ
    Hello PJ,

Thanks for posting your knowledge on the situation earlier in this thread. I see you had an issue that got replaced. I hope it is fixed this time, and you will be satisfied with the outcome after some heavy rains. Don't hesitate to reach out to us with other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

----------

Quote Originally Posted by PINOYTICO9 View Post
    2005 Cadillac SRX with only 32K (had 23K when we got it on 10/'12)extrem hard find from snow bird in Tampa way above and beyond care,condition, and mileage in and out(I do in/out real detail -tired of paying for "professional detailing" mine is the real thing...but just for me, I take the time, Saturday total inside detail, Sunday total outside detail)

1) jack compartment in rear floods after rain or wash, tried to find leak but no luck; am I missing something? Anyone with a trick up their sleeve to find/stop leak without emptying wallet at dealer or body shop?????? Is it common occurrance on '05's?? Took spare out...nothing, moved as much and many side plastic panels...nothing. Any help, idea, lead, and solution highly appreciated.

Thank you so very much.

PS SORRY AT FIRST POSTED IN WRONG FORUM
    Hello Ed,

I am sorry you are experiencing issues with your vehicle. I read through the interactions you had in this post. If you private message me, we can continue to interact and further discuss your issues and see what dealership you are willing to work with towards a possible resolution. Be sure to include your contact information, VIN and current mileage in the message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Thank you for asking, Laura. The water leak into the jack compartment (Lake Cadillac) was fixed the first time promptly and properly by my Cadillac dealership well over three years ago.......the source(s) was/were faulty pinch welds in the rear hatch drain trough.

But the years (since 2007) and recent work on and around the rear hatch finally took its toll on the weather stripping as might be expected. It cracked and was replaced, hopefully eliminating the leak.

All automobile dealerships are not created equal. The folks at RC Olsen Cadillac in Woburn Masachusetts know what they are doing and get it done. I feel fortunate that Olsen is the dealership I have chosen for my purchase (Vito Fulciniti) and for my service (Peter and Ray Cascio).

Ironically, there are three Cadillac dealerships closer to my home which would be far more convenient for service. I chose Olsen at the recommendation of a friend who works at a competitor Cadillac dealership. My friend could not secure exactly what I was looking for in a (CPO) first generation SRX. His alternative recommendation was spot on. So my suggestion for anyone considering a Cadillac purchase in the Boston metro area is to take the sales and service guesswork out of the process and give Olsen a shot. You won't be disappointed.

PJ

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    Thank you for asking, Laura. The water leak into the jack compartment (Lake Cadillac) was fixed the first time promptly and properly by my Cadillac dealership well over three years ago.......the source(s) was/were faulty pinch welds in the rear hatch drain trough.

But the years (since 2007) and recent work on and around the rear hatch finally took its toll on the weather stripping as might be expected. It cracked and was replaced, hopefully eliminating the leak.

All automobile dealerships are not created equal. The folks at RC Olsen Cadillac in Woburn Masachusetts know what they are doing and get it done. I feel fortunate that Olsen is the dealership I have chosen for my purchase (Vito Fulciniti) and for my service (Peter and Ray Cascio).

Ironically, there are three Cadillac dealerships closer to my home which would be far more convenient for service. I chose Olsen at the recommendation of a friend who works at a competitor Cadillac dealership. My friend could not secure exactly what I was looking for in a (CPO) first generation SRX. His alternative recommendation was spot on. So my suggestion for anyone considering a Cadillac purchase in the Boston metro area is to take the sales and service guesswork out of the process and give Olsen a shot. You won't be disappointed.

PJ
    You are welcome PJ. I am happy to hear of the great service you receive from RC Olsen Cadillac dealership. Thanks for sharing this information with other members to inform them of a great dealer to go to!

Regards,

Laura M.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.