refitting hard lines to rear
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, refitting hard lines to rear in Cadillac SRX Forums; Correct me if I am wrong. I marked the lines with arrows color coded to indicate which port and rear ...
    orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

refitting hard lines to rear

Correct me if I am wrong. I marked the lines with arrows color coded to indicate which port and rear fitting I should replace the line.

----------

What a hunk of crap quality GM used, theres no reason to be under a 07 vehicle pulling the brake lines out because of rust and thats the 2 main lines, I still have the line over the rear differential and a small line for the front, I already replaced the 2 from the resovior, my daughter just passed her road inspection, when I looked under her 93 opel the brake lines still looked great, no corrosion what so ever

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: refitting hard lines to rear

In SM look at ABS Description. Rear lines are not together, they go F,R,F,R/
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    In SM look at ABS Description. Rear lines are not together, they go F,R,F,R/
    I do not follow what you are saying, the two lines in the middle of the four go to the rear F,R,R,F

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

I don't think so, but you're the one taking it apart. Guess it doesn't matter if you take off the wrong one, you've got to bleed the whole system anyway. Good luck.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Yeah, it just stands to reason, if I took off 2 lines going to the back and they were in the middle of 4 lines then I have to assume they have nothing to do with the front, look at the drawing its not F,R,F,R

----------

Hi
    I have 2 choices
    1. Make the lines OEM configuration
    2. Just follow the simplest path along the frame, avoid the OEM brackets, as this seems to be where the rust originates(should be a recall on brake lines or at least a dealer replacement, these of all lines should be anti rust, considering what these cost new!) ,especially in the front and rear(where it bends and curves around the fuel filter. Any suggestions?

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

My brake lines on 04 V8 SRX AWD at two years old where corroded with 23000 mile I had dealer look at them while under warranty said they where fine. They are still corroded six years later. If they aren't leaking why are you replacing ? Gm says they are fine also at the time I had them look at drive shaft at same vist in two years it had rust pitted and was flacking rust they also said it was ok. So its Ok. I have vehicles that are older than SRX that brake lines have no rust and drive shaft isn't rusted either. I believe some of suppliers were not using best materials for parts for this vehicle. I still have vehicle 54000 mile still brake lines are not leaking.

Why wait for that moment when you apply the brakes and the line breaks or you see a puddle under your car, surface corrosion is one thing, better quality is another, and when your line is flaking and metal is corroded to the point you can see layers in the rust its time to do something,either listen to them who are too lazy and cheap or kill yourself and others, either way its too late. Having said that there is no excuse for a vehicle at that price to have rusted lines,like I said in another thread the point of origin seems to be at the brackets holding the line in place and just eats its way over time, and the cheap material they used to save a buck. The new lines will be anti rust and lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by orandaberg View Post
    Yeah, it just stands to reason, if I took off 2 lines going to the back and they were in the middle of 4 lines then I have to assume they have nothing to do with the front, look at the drawing its not F,R,F,R

----------

Hi
    I have 2 choices
    1. Make the lines OEM configuration
    2. Just follow the simplest path along the frame, avoid the OEM brackets, as this seems to be where the rust originates(should be a recall on brake lines or at least a dealer replacement, these of all lines should be anti rust, considering what these cost new!) ,especially in the front and rear(where it bends and curves around the fuel filter. Any suggestions?
    Decided just to take it to a garage and let them make the lines. Had to open the rear hatch window on the opel the lines were so long I will use the same brackets as the OEM since the lines are rust proof anyway

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

What are your lines made of and what are the new lines made out of?

Do not know what the old is made of looks like tin and metal, the new are copper, alloy with other ingredients? Just finished putting on the two from front to rear, looks nothing like OEM but its new. Still need to change the right front, then it will be leak test time

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    What are your lines made of and what are the new lines made out of?
    copper nickle is the new line

----------

RF passenger side

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

When I first saw this post, I was ready to question your use of copper for the brake lines as they are considered unsafe and are illegal in a lot of countries. But rather than comment without specific facts to back it up, I decided to goggle the subject to give a informed response.

Much to my surprise, I found out that 90/10 copper lines that it looks like you are using are superior to steel in both corrosion resistance and burst pressure tests. I also found out that Volvo has been using these lines for decades, at least for their home market and countries where they are legal.

I was ready to suggest www.eastwood.com as a source for steel and stainless steel brake line kits as well as the tools necessary to form the lines and flare the ends and they do international shipping. Obviously, for Scandinavians and other people in enlightened countries copper/nickel is the way to go

Bill

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Wow, that's ugly. I sure wouldn't be driving it either.
    Hope you don't have the ultraview roof! If you do, don't look on the underside of it! I live in Texas, rarely even drive in the rain, and my ultraview supports are getting pretty corroded. Everything underneath the car looks OK, although the driveshaft is definitely lightly rusted.

There was obviously some severe cost cutting going on when GM was going under, so it's beginning to show up. The issue that has hit me the hardest is trying to replace various exterior/interior trim pieces when they got torn up during warranty repairs - seems they stopped all production of these in '09, as soon as vehicle production ceased.
    DG

Quote Originally Posted by The Wrench View Post
    Wow, that's ugly. I sure wouldn't be driving it either.
    Hope you don't have the ultraview roof! If you do, don't look on the underside of it! I live in Texas, rarely even drive in the rain, and my ultraview supports are getting pretty corroded. Everything underneath the car looks OK, although the driveshaft is definitely lightly rusted.

There was obviously some severe cost cutting going on when GM was going under, so it's beginning to show up. The issue that has hit me the hardest is trying to replace various exterior/interior trim pieces when they got torn up during warranty repairs - seems they stopped all production of these in '09, as soon as vehicle production ceased.
    DG

Had to completely remove the glass from the car clean up the rust and use a permanent class glue to re bond. Thought I was the only one or that the previous owner found it in a lake to replace his broken glass. Hard to believe the car is 6 yrs old.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.