Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Maybe thinking of going to Escalade

7K views 47 replies 10 participants last post by  conedoctor 
#1 ·
Bouncing the idea around and between the Denali and Escalade, does anyone know the differences?

Please do not mention the Yukon or Suburban as I have zero interest in them and do not care, I will not buy the 5.3, 4 speed or non-AWD.

#5 ·
Conedoctor, maybe you should tell us why are you looking to buy one, or what your objective is, so that people who know those trucks can give you proper feedback? I have an SRX and would think an Escalade would be a step back into the 90's. I am sure, however, that you have your reasons for buying something that size and inefficient. : )

#6 ·
Hmm, well lets see.

We have been wondering if a full size SUV will better suit our growing family and trailering needs better than our beloved SRX. The Acadia Denali is also a choice, it has ups and downs but IMO a far better 3rd row but the V6 and only 5200lbs of pulling is not making me jump into one.

Pros

Tow more by twice and going to do it just better overall
Better 3rd row set up and room, the fold and remove seats are sort of stupid but so are the SRX 3rd row seats but at least they are always in the car. So SRX vs Escalade is sort of a wash.
Extra room inside
Equal fuel economy to the SRX
Many more aftermarket parts
Common platform with very easy to get parts at low cost, and it is the same as my truck.
New awesome nav can be swapped in.
Factory backup cam
Dual zone rear climate
Dude its an Escalade!

Cons
Bigger L 202.5 vs. 195 W 79 vs. 72.6 H 74.3 vs. 67.8
I really love the look and size of the SRX and it fits my wife well
Not as easy to park and will need a bigger spot
Not as comfortable seats
Will ride like a truck

G
#12 ·
Cayenne V8 was my choice but location at the time and this SRX was near by, regret I never went to get the Cayenne, much more luxurious and but mostly better quality, will be the next one when (not if)something internal goes wrong with the SRX. But conedoctor is probably wanting size

#13 ·
Please no more cayenne talk, it is off topic. Cayenne is nice but the inside makes me vomit a bit every time I see it and the outside is not much better, cost of ownership is also retarded. Now I know someone will say ya but my srx is crap and costs a fortune well mine does not and costs my fuel and that's it. So please keep on topic, Escalade or Acadia Denali.

#16 ·
Acadia Denalli vs Escalade? It's sort of an apples to oranges comparison but the specs of this Denalli taken in context with what conedoctor has said in the rest of this thread, it crystallizes what really is important to him: increased towing capacity, cost of ownership, good looks, and SRX size.

Only one question left: Cone, are you ready to do it?

Bill

#17 ·
See that is the common error, the Acadia Denali is the same size, well 1/2" shorter length and a few inches shorter.

Crazy eh? The Escalade looks so much bigger, it is 6" longer and wider than the SRX.

So sort of apples to apples, same size but very different cars. I like the V8 and big towing of the Escalade but I like some of the new cool features and 3rd row setup of the Lambda platform but not fond of the V6 and only 5200lbs towing and from what I have read she no like to pull very much.

The problem is I like the SRX and so does my wife, not sure if I just want to buy another car or if we need the change. My wife would like the extra room inside and a usable 3rd row, but the SRX totally fits our needs and is so easy to drive but it will not tow the trailer I want to buy, well it will but not safe. I have not driven the Acadia yet but I will, Im sure it will drive like a 288HP front drive boat, I know the Escalade drives like a 403HP awesome truck and is even better chipped. But I think the Acadia wins for new features and cool stuff being at the beginning of its line not the end like the Escalade. But the Escalade is not missing anything, there is my problem. Do I replace my perfectly good car with another perfectly good car?

My wife and the trailer will decide.

I was about to buy a Q7 but the value may just not be there and cost of ownership is big, it uses 19 motors to control the HVAC system, that is awesome but..... My other choice is the X5 35D but the big problem is it looks like a BMW inside.

#19 ·
The apples to oranges comment I made did not refer to exterior size so much, but to the interior seating seating room and the options available of the two compared compared to your SRX. The Acadia has a bit less seating room than your SRX while the Escalade has more seating room and options not available on the Denali. Also, the Acadia is basically a front drive crossover, albeit AWD in your configuration and the Escalade is a truck.

The relatively high towing capacity of the Acadia Denali compared with other lambda crossovers with the 3.6 must be something to do with a stiffer spring rate and shocks. If so, I wonder how the ride would compare with the truck.

Bill

#20 ·
I recently consider all of these GM cars you are looking at before I bought the SRX. Of course you know most of this, but here goes.

If you want to tow, there is going to be nothing better than a "truck," period. Regardless of ratings, I can't imagine that there is going to be much measurable difference between the tow-ability of an SRX vs. an Acadia. Neither one are trucks--rather they are cars that are somewhat setup for towing. (Escalade +1)

Considering how large a vehicle is from the standpoint of parking and maneuvering at low speed, the game is more about visibility than it is about a couple of inches of width or length of the vehicle. (Escalade +1)

I think the Escalade would be a FAR superior tow vehicle, AND it is much easier to park (way better visibility than a crossover for us short people, esp because of the huge mirrors). I think you already stated that you found it to be equal or superior on all other considerations (third row seats, etc.). (Escalade +1)

I was looking at 2006 generation trucks. I looked Escalade vs Yukon Denali very closely. I could not stomach the price of the Escalade vs. the Yukon Denali, though I found the Yukon's interior to be embarassing (like lipstick on a pig--just not well executed). (Escalade +/- 1)

You said the trailer and the wife decide. I think the trailer already made its decision. But if your wife decides she wants a Prius, I think you should buy the Prius--cause that probably matters the most!

#21 ·
Good points, my year range is 07+ or 11+ for the Acadia.

The 3rd row on the Acadia is the best of all 3 IMO

The Acadia can tow 5200 vs 4250 of the SRX vs about 8500 for the Escalade, problem is I have an 08 Sierra Denali I can tow with but I want my wife to be able to tow without me. As it was said I would take the Escalade all day to tow with and I would be right at or over the limit of the Acadia and would end up towing in 4th gear as that is what I have read you need when towing a heavy trailer and not sure how it would like Rogers Pass, it would make it of course but at what cost and it would not be fun.

The Acadia tow rating has nothing to do drivetrain (I looked it up last night) and more with hitch mount, sort of.

How do you see the Acadia having less seating room than the SRX, am I missing something? SRX is 7 Acadia is 7 or 8 depending on config. Maybe your thinking I have a 2010+ SRX?

We really don't need one so I am going to let it ride until my wife says she wants to look, our current popup trailer will be with us until at least next year and if I really need a bigger trailer (4900lbs, oh so big lol) I will have to take her car and she can take the truck.

#24 · (Edited)
Cone......has the better half driven the Escalade? You might find as I often do with these things that common sense and needs go right out the window when my wife gets involved. From what you have said you want more space and your future towing needs might mean the Acadia will come up short. Yet your wife likes how the SRX drives. Maybe she won't be so enthralled withe the Escalade once she takes one for a spin because of the increased size.

Me? I think you are all set with what you have between the SRX and the truck for now. You have the bases covered except she does not sound excited about towing, regardless of the tow vehicle you have for towing. That is what she has you for.....the driver of big and heavy things. PJ

#25 · (Edited)
BTW.....the Acadia Denali may have the appearance and interior appointments, as well as a lot more space. But it still weighs in 400 pounds heavier than the SRX N AWD. With 10% less horsepower and torque. Can you live with that every day?

Other thoughts.....I have had both a CHEVY TAHOE and a GMC Yukon as courtesy cars recently when I had the SRX in for service, three days on the first and two days on the second.

The 5.3L V8 with the 6 speed, and neither had AWD. They both felt slower than the SRX out of the box. On the highway, putting your foot to the floor.....neither vehicle would catch a lower gear that would raise the initial RPM higher than 3,000. The power steering in both felt overboosted. And you sure feel the side to side jostling in the driver's seat with any adjustment of the steering wheel, didn't like that. And with no telescoping steering wheel, my 5'9" and 180 pound carcass could not get comfortable, no matter how I adjusted the seat bolster and seat back: when the pedals felt right the steering wheel was too far away, and visa versa.

Granted, these were not top end trim vehicles. But they were very low mileage ones. The first had only 3,500 miles on the odometer and the second 9,500. The extra interior space was impressive: 116 cubic feet behind the front seats versus 70 for the SRX. Behind the third row.....24 cubic feet versus 8 for the SRX.

By the time you optioned out either the TAHOE or the YUKON, you are probably around $55,000......what the SRX N AWD with all of the goodies stickered at, almost. Fuel tank is larger than the SRX, 22 gallons I think. EPA rated for both 16/21. I was on the accelerator, so I did not approach either figure. :)

The pre-owned Escalades around here with acceptably low mileage are very pricey. That is making a GMC ACADIA DENALI looking like a good compromise for me. More space than the SRX....and unlike you, I have nothing to tow. The fuel mileage with the Acadia is about 10% better than the GEN l SRX with the Northstar.

BACK TO THE HOCKEY GAME. I am torn: born and raised in Chicago but have spent the past 25 years in the Boston metro area. :-(. BTW.....did I mention how much I hate posting on a smart phone?

PJ

#26 ·
I have no interest in hockey and I am in Canada, when hockey starts taking place on a road course I will care :)

As I said I have no interest in the 5.3 because of the power issue, I want the 6.2 and AWD as these are deal breakers.

She is ok driving the bigger car but I really should just stay with the SRX and Sierra if I were smart, but....

I don't usually get too much hassle as long as it has been a few years between cars, I tell her we need a new car or I have to cheat on you. I just love our SRX so much, the red with sport package looks so stunning still.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.