First towing trip with the SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, First towing trip with the SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; Well I hooked it all up last night, I hooked your tent trailer that was about 3000-3200lbs and drove around ...
    conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

First towing trip with the SRX

Well I hooked it all up last night, I hooked your tent trailer that was about 3000-3200lbs and drove around the block, it was a good 1/2 kilometer or so. I had no overheating issues and it pulled fine

I need to finish the wiring and add the WD brackets to the trailer still but I needed to do a test run, the trailer looks huge behind the SRX and even bigger sitting in it, I was really thinking I made mistake wanting to tow with the SRX but I should be fine and it will work great.

Tonight I finish the brackets on the trailer and if I have time install the brake controller in the SRX.

The trailer is unloaded and so is the car at this point so once I get another 400lbs in the trailer and the same in the car we will find out how it all goes, first trip is in the mountains so I will find the weak spot if there is one sooner than later, if I were a smarter man I would just use my Denali to tow but here I am making this post.

Not sure how the auto leveling shocks and WD hitch are going to play together but I will find out and may have to fine tune things.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Re: First towing trip with the SRX

Be sure to push that trailer button when the tough gets going!

You mean the gas pedal? lol

I will keep an eye on stuff and make sure everything is happy, I pulled it last year with the truck and having a 6 speed is such a huge advantage so I figure the SRX will benefit from the extra gears towing as well. My 03 Sierra had the 4 speed still and what a disaster that is, a friend has an 08 avalanche with the 4 speed again and you spend lots of time in second gear, with the Denali we would see 5 and maybe 4th and once going up the Coquihalla Highway with the car trailer I was in second or 3rd but that hill never ends coming up to Vancouver lol

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

I've got a Coleman popup weighing approx. 2800 lbs and have thought about setting the SRX up for towing but have lacked motivation. My Envoy already has the setup but might motivate the wife to camp more if we drove the Caddy!
    Any case I've located the connector where the trailer lights would be connected but have not looked at where a good source would be for the brake apply signal for the brake controller. Where did you get that signal.... assuming you have electric brakes?
    Thanks

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    You mean the gas pedal? lol

I will keep an eye on stuff and make sure everything is happy, I pulled it last year with the truck and having a 6 speed is such a huge advantage so I figure the SRX will benefit from the extra gears towing as well. My 03 Sierra had the 4 speed still and what a disaster that is, a friend has an 08 avalanche with the 4 speed again and you spend lots of time in second gear, with the Denali we would see 5 and maybe 4th and once going up the Coquihalla Highway with the car trailer I was in second or 3rd but that hill never ends coming up to Vancouver lol
    I am actually having the Caddy hitch installed on my '07 V92 AWD N* tomorrow and therefore have no towing experience with this vehicle. That being said, I was told many years ago not to tow using an overdrive gear - which would preclude using 5th or 6th. In our SRXs, I believe that 4th gear has a ratio of 1.16:1 and 5th is 0.85:1, so I would suggest keeping it in 4th.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...g-in-Overdrive
    I've had 2 Grand Caravans (90 & 98) equipped with towing packages and always towed a 3400 lb. boat/trailer combo in 3rd gear (1.00:1 ratio). Grand Caravans have been notorious for weak trannies but I never had a problem with either in all those years.

Best regards,

Elie

Ya I am split on the OD thing (but 99% of the time forget anything that starts with I was told many years ago), I will use the tow/haul button as I like the way it works the tranny and helps with braking. I tow in D most of the time in my truck and change to tow/haul if I am on and off the gas or in hills, you just have to use common sense and listen to your car, if the converter is locked and your on level ground IMO your ok. The factory and experts have to assume the general public is retarded and need to be saved from themselves and this is true so you have very broad statements to keep everyone safe, with a bit of paying attention and knowledge you will be fine.

The brake signal wire comes off the BCM under the dash like 10"s from the brake controller so it should be easy, I will be doing brake controller tonight. I have the signal wire, the harness at the back now I just need a power wire, not sure if I will get hat from inside or under the hood.

I have the extra cooling but not the fans of the V92 so I will put my theory to the test and see if I stay cool, I think I will be fine.

Just looked in the owners manual and it says towing in D is fine but change to tow/haul if the tranny is shifting too much you your in hills or something.

OK half of the brake controller install is done, I ran power to the battery back into the car and used pin #5 on BCM #5 brown, I get a 12V signal when I push the brake. On a side note the brake lights would not work unless I started the car, this caused confusion and delay (anyone with kids will smile at that statement)

Next was the blue wire to the back for brake power (just remembered right now I forgot to run trailer power, crud), I was going to run under the car but that would have been unbefitting a Cadillac so it is going inside then drops out just behind the divers rear wheel where the rest of the wires drop, this should be fun but the only clean way to do it.

So if you do the install remember to also run another 12V+ wire from the battery that is fused separate from your controller power wire so your trailer has power for the fridge and battery charging.

Ok so the first trip went just fine, pulled the trailer like a champ, I went with a Reese dual cam WD hitch so the ride was sweet, total trailer weight was about 3300ish I would think and the car had a full tank of fuel 2 adults and 2 kids with gear.

No issues pulling and fuel mileage was not bad at all, no tranny temp alarms or anything but she no like the hills in 6th gear lol

On a hill we could not hold 100k in 6th gear and would end up in 5th or 4th often but the engine does not make any power down low so I can totally understand why the shifts, now as soon as the rpm came up we started picking up speed right away and fast then back to the upper gears, on a few bigger hills I would see 3-4 back and forth a bit but not more than a few cycles so I did not care. I saw 2nd once on a big hill.

I towed in D the whole trip, while not the Denali still a fine tow vehicle and was very stable and felt in control the whole time and power to spare if I needed it.

Shock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX V8 AWD

Did you happen to calculate mpg?
    And how did you work out the WD vs auto-leveling?

I just bought my 06 @36K, V8 AWD, w/V92 tow pkg. It's in the shop with a bad torque converter first week i have it. I'm getting nervous about towing, esp coming out of a Suburban.

I am driving a loaner 2013 Tahoe 5.3, and i absolutely hate the way it shifts compared to my 4 speed 04 Suburban, fwiw. The srx tranny doesnt seem to have the same awful tendency to upshift too early.

It all worked just fine, we just got back from another trip.

The WD just takes some messing around to find a happy place, I found it and the dual cam sway control works awesome and it tows very stable.

I am getting about 17 l/100 or so depending on terrain but I see 15 on level ground pulling, I'm happy so far and I have lots of power.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Did you happen to calculate mpg?
    And how did you work out the WD vs auto-leveling?

I just bought my 06 @36K, V8 AWD, w/V92 tow pkg. It's in the shop with a bad torque converter first week i have it. I'm getting nervous about towing, esp coming out of a Suburban.

I am driving a loaner 2013 Tahoe 5.3, and i absolutely hate the way it shifts compared to my 4 speed 04 Suburban, fwiw. The srx tranny doesnt seem to have the same awful tendency to upshift too early.
    Hello Shock,

I am sorry you have to deal with a bad torque converter the first week of owning your SRX. I see conedoctor was able to provide insight on his situation for you and stated his towing is stable, which I wish the same for you. If you have additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to private message me.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Shock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX V8 AWD

Thanks for the info. That sounds pretty much in line with my Suburban for a similar load.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.