Rear-End whine 2006 RWD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Rear-End whine 2006 RWD in Cadillac SRX Forums; Let me start by saying my Dealer and up until now my GMPP Rep has been really good. The Dealer ...
    warreneaux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX V8 Black/Black

Question Rear-End whine 2006 RWD

Let me start by saying my Dealer and up until now my GMPP Rep has been really good. The Dealer gets an "A" for their support and effort.
    I've been in three times complaining about the whine in the rear.
    Everyone can hear it, including the GMPP Rep.
    He recommended changing the lubricant, we did, which I paid for.
    They did not put in a LS Lubricant so I added a additive. Yes, it has Limited Slip G80.
    He suggests that I authorize a tear down and inspection, ($1,125.00 cost) and if they find worn or broken parts he will authorize the repair.
    When I had the LS Lubricant added we found shavings coming out of the differential onto the tech's fingers.
    This was done by an independent shop that is authorized to honor GMPP. He said he would do the tear down for about half the quoted price.
    My question is, if there is a noise (and now shavings) does that not suggest that something is not right?
    The Dealer is not aware I have found shavings.
    Should the Dealer have noticed shavings when they drained the Differential?
    It is a V-8, RWD and only 33,600 miles.
    Earl

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Rear-End whine 2006 RWD

Ever watch a tech drain oil? They're not looking for shavings. That's a separate step. Go back to the dealer with the shavings information; they should rebuild or replace withour furthur delay or expense.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Thanks Glake89. That is what I think I will do.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by warreneaux View Post
    Let me start by saying my Dealer and up until now my GMPP Rep has been really good. The Dealer gets an "A" for their support and effort.
    I've been in three times complaining about the whine in the rear.
    Everyone can hear it, including the GMPP Rep.
    He recommended changing the lubricant, we did, which I paid for.
    They did not put in a LS Lubricant so I added a additive. Yes, it has Limited Slip G80.
    He suggests that I authorize a tear down and inspection, ($1,125.00 cost) and if they find worn or broken parts he will authorize the repair.
    When I had the LS Lubricant added we found shavings coming out of the differential onto the tech's fingers.
    This was done by an independent shop that is authorized to honor GMPP. He said he would do the tear down for about half the quoted price.
    My question is, if there is a noise (and now shavings) does that not suggest that something is not right?
    The Dealer is not aware I have found shavings.
    Should the Dealer have noticed shavings when they drained the Differential?
    It is a V-8, RWD and only 33,600 miles.
    Earl
    Hello Earl,

I apologize that you are experiencing issues with your SRX having a whine coming from the rear end of the vehicle. I am happy to hear that the experience with the dealership and the GMPP rep has been a positive one. I look forward to hearing about your experience and I hope you keep us updated about your vehicle getting repaired. If you would like me to contact the dealership about this concern, and assist you in the process of working with the dealership, just send me a private message. I will look for your updates. Thank you for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks Gregory. Let me see what the GMPP Rep has to say about the shavings. Hopefully this will make the difference.
    Earl

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Here's my experience:
    2004 SRX RWD V6: rearend whine from 29-69 mph steady state. Did not doit under acceleration or deceleration. At 70 mph it was quiet, so I left it.
    Usually denotes a pitch point or pitch sensitive whine which is caused by the gears cutting too close.
    2007 SRX RwD V6: rearend whine from 29-69 mph. See above.
    2009 SRX RWD V8: quiet as a church mouse at all speeds.

Your rep knows there is an issue and has seen it before. Glad you have the GM warranty it should take care of you eventually. good luck!

----------

I'm sorry it was 27-69 mph. If you have shavings the rearend was not setup properly and the gears are cutting too close.

Thanks b4z.
    I do hope to get it corrected.
    Earl

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Also there was a recall on the rear axles, but don't remember which years were affected.

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Here's my experience:
    2004 SRX RWD V6: rearend whine from 29-69 mph steady state. Did not doit under acceleration or deceleration. At 70 mph it was quiet, so I left it.
    Usually denotes a pitch point or pitch sensitive whine which is caused by the gears cutting too close.
    2007 SRX RwD V6: rearend whine from 29-69 mph. See above.
    2009 SRX RWD V8: quiet as a church mouse at all speeds.

Your rep knows there is an issue and has seen it before. Glad you have the GM warranty it should take care of you eventually. good luck!

----------

I'm sorry it was 27-69 mph. If you have shavings the rearend was not setup properly and the gears are cutting too close.
    Hello b4z,

Thanks for sharing this information with the community on this thread. I hope your 2011 CTS is treating you well! If there are ever questions or concerns you would like to discuss, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

I hope to have good news on this in the next day or so.
    I informed the Dealer of the Metal Filings and they had me bring it in Monday.
    They called and said the GMPP Rep was there, saw Metal Filings drained from the Differential and authorized tear-down and repair.
    Hopefully it will be done today or tomorrow. They do work on Saturday.
    I will post results.
    All of this after installing a new Drive Shaft in search of the noise.
    I am planning a trip to Georgia first of October and will be glad to have a quiet, non-whining rear end.
    I appreciate all of the previous replies to this and the suggestions made.
    I drove it a bit longer than I had planned after the initial metal findings before informing the Dealer, but hopefully it is all working out.
    Earl

----------

I don't know how the message went to the bottom.
    Earl

I hope to have good news on this in the next day or so.
    I informed the Dealer of the Metal Filings and they had me bring it in Monday.
    They called and said the GMPP Rep was there, saw Metal Filings drained from the Differential and authorized tear-down and repair.
    Hopefully it will be done today or tomorrow. They do work on Saturday.
    I will post results.
    All of this after installing a new Drive Shaft in search of the noise.
    I am planning a trip to Georgia first of October and will be glad to have a quiet, non-whining rear end.
    I appreciate all of the previous replies to this and the suggestions made.
    I drove it a bit longer than I had planned after the initial metal findings before informing the Dealer, but hopefully it is all working out.
    Earl

----------

I don't know how the message went to the bottom.
    Earl
    Hello Earl,

I am glad you have been able to work with your dealership about the metal filings found in your vehicle. I see you will post the results after the repair. I will be on the lookout for an updated message. I hope you will have a quiet, non-whining rear end vehicle for your trip in October too! If you would like to further discuss anything or have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

This from my Service Writer:
    Good Morning Mr. Warren!

I have some absolutely wonderful news! The inspector came back out yesterday after we got the rear differential taken apart. He approved us basically replacing the internal components of the rear differential itself and he is waiving your deductible since it has been such a recurring problem. Robert said it should be finished up later today. I will let you know this afternoon once we have test driven it and it is ready for pick up. Hope you have a wonderful Friday!

I got a call Friday afternoon stating they are waiting on parts.
    Looks like they are going to replace most internals in the differential.
    Should be ready Monday.
    Earl

This from my Service Writer:
    Good Morning Mr. Warren!

I have some absolutely wonderful news! The inspector came back out yesterday after we got the rear differential taken apart. He approved us basically replacing the internal components of the rear differential itself and he is waiving your deductible since it has been such a recurring problem. Robert said it should be finished up later today. I will let you know this afternoon once we have test driven it and it is ready for pick up. Hope you have a wonderful Friday!

I got a call Friday afternoon stating they are waiting on parts.
    Looks like they are going to replace most internals in the differential.
    Should be ready Monday.
    Earl
    Hello Earl,

Thanks for updating us on your situation. That is a nice letter you received and I am sure made you happy. I am glad your vehicle will be ready for you to pick up soon. Let us know when you pick it up! If you have any concerns or questions you would like to discuss with us, don't hesitate to reach out.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.