Sealed or Ported......
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Sealed or Ported...... in Cadillac SRX Forums; Im looking to build a custom box for my SRX, I just cant decide on sealed or ported. Anybody have ...
    stevewhitt1962 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Sealed or Ported......

Im looking to build a custom box for my SRX, I just cant decide on sealed or ported. Anybody have experience with this problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mr. Mohr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8 AWD Luxury Performance Package (Moonstone)

Re: Sealed or Ported......

As far as I know, it depends on what kind of music you listen to. Sealed has to have an exact air space inside the box and gives a crisper sounding bass, where as ported are easier to build and are better for bellowing bass like rap or hip hop.

2broke4this is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX V6 RWD

Re: Sealed or Ported......

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mohr View Post
    As far as I know, it depends on what kind of music you listen to. Sealed has to have an exact air space inside the box and gives a crisper sounding bass, where as ported are easier to build and are better for bellowing bass like rap or hip hop.
    You're mostly right! It definitely depends on what kind of music you listen to, and what the goals are. Sealed boxes do have a tighter/crisper sound, but from my experience are actually easier to build, since you don't have to worry as much about getting the port juuuuust right. The biggest thing you have to worry about with a sealed box is making sure it's sized appropriately for the sub you intend to use. Upsides to the sealed are the ease of construction, tight/clean bass, and typically smaller box size. A properly built/sized/tuned ported box will usually put out more sound with the same wattage (at least down to the point where it's tuned to roll off), but is more complicated to build and you may sacrifice some accuracy and you really reduce the sound below the frequency the box is tuned.

Personally, I prefer the sound of a sealed box (or maybe I haven't heard enough perfectly built ported boxes), and that's the route I typically go. They're easier to accommodate in weird places. In my last car, I built a box for a 10" sub that fit just behind the right rear tire in some unused space in the trunk. (see here: http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...4043_large.jpg) It wasn't super loud, but it added the little bit of bass that was lacking. So far, I'm resisting the urge to do anything in the SRX. What kind of sound are you looking for? What's the budget? Do you have a particular sub/amp combination in mind?

There is a TON of information out there...
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclo...asic-info.html
    http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...ubwoofer_Boxes

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.