Forced induction on the SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Forced induction on the SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; So I have been wanting to boost the SRX for some time now and I want to move the project ...
    conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Forced induction on the SRX V8 4.6L Northstar

So I have been wanting to boost the SRX for some time now and I want to move the project ahead a bit, looking for good intelligent conversation.

That being said please don't post unless you can add to the topic.

I searched on the topic and the threads I saw on the STS forum were all no but no one had any facts or reasons why, just no. So please no blanket stupid statements.

I have full control over my ECU so that is not an issue, the CR is 10.5:1 so I will be aiming for like 5lbs. Not looking to build a race car just something fun and say it can be done.

The remote mount turbo would be a good choice but I think the supercharger will be my preferred route.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Didn't the australians have a project blower on a 3.6 cts not sure if its in production yet

Re: Forced induction on the SRX

Ok but what does that have to do with supercharging a 4.6l Northstar?

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Lol forgot you had the V8

Mr. Mohr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8 AWD Luxury Performance Package (Moonstone)
    Conedoctor, you read my mind. I've been looking into it a bit also. So far as I have found, the only REAL difference between the LH2 and the LC3 is the bore and compression ratio. So far as I can tell, the factory LC3 supercharger should bolt up ok. I found one on eBay for about $900. I'm not ready to jump into it yet, there are other (less exciting) things to take care of first. But I agree that a few lbs of boost should be fine on stock internals. I'm not sure on hood clearance, but I think the cts-v style "power dome" as GM calls it, would look great on an SRX. I want to pick up a spare hood to experiment with making an OEM looking power dome. CHRF is the only company I've found that has experience supercharging the N* at all. They may have some good advice, or they may tell you that you must do a lot of unnecessary upgrades to be safe. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk.

----------

PS- I don't know what numbers your thinking of, but I think around 350 to the wheels would be fantastic....and achievable.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    The lc3 sc will bold directly to the lh2 no problem. Timmyc bolted a lh2 intake on his sts-v when switching to a turbo set up.

I'm sure the LC3 has other differences but were not too worried about that right now, we have the LH2 so lets deal with it.

Not worried about clearance under the hood yet, I will measure though and see how close stuff is.

Lots of boosted northstars in the world but all the old ones so far that I can see, other than the LC3. I was going to contact CHRF and will at some point.

From what I know the smaller bore was to improve the head gasket sealing area to combat failures, this is one of my concerns but not a huge one, at 5lbs she better hold together.

As for the engine breaking I really doubt it is going to fail in that way, just head gasket or studs, I need to research the late model LH2's and see if they suffered form head tread failures.

I heard it was mostly just the pre-2000 motors with the gasket and thread problems. I believe you are correct on the reasoning for de-boring the LC3, then again, the sts-v puts out about 495hp. I don't think you're thinking those kind of numbers considering we're talking 5lbs.

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

I would love to do this too some day but its my winter car/DD for hauling my kid and dog. I honestly think you could buy an ebay turbo or any used 50 trim turbo and bolt it up. Use the STSV injectors, ebay intercooler, cutom downpipe with cutout, you would need a custom manifold(s), and some dyno time. Its very doable. Only thing is that it would be fully custom. I think parts would be around $1500 without labour. I would be scared about the transmission though.

Other though of course is a full sts-v LC3 swap....but that's another realm.

I don't think there is room for a turbo under the hood, you can't build a decent turbo system for $1500, you can barely get a good turbo for $1000 lol. I think the stsv supercharger is the way to go, I need to figure out if I can spin the blower slow enough to make my boost, I will call Eaton tomorrow and find out the minimum rpm I can turn it.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Hi
    I had the same idea sort of here is a letter from Tim Carroll

The space in which the SRX has, limits your options.
    The next thing to understand about the engine you have?
    The intake design was engineered for maximum air intake, in other words there is no such thing as a electric
    tuirbo charger that can put out as much air as your design already takes in.
    When you added your Volant CAI you now have unrestricted intake, so you have max intake with its design.
    This actually has a slight increase in HP and in fuel economy, not a lot, but a little.

Back to the limited space and using a forced air induction.
    The exhaust turbo charger is not feasable in the limited space of the SRX without an expensive proffesional reconstruction
    of the enternal body.
    This is something that not only is way too much money! But would require a shop like ours that have the ability to reconstruct
    the inside.

The only forced induction you could install that would actually give you an extreme HP gain is a intake Supercharger,
    these types of forced air is an expensive add in, but they are an extreme high performance modification.
    If a Supercharger is somethiing you would like to buy and have shipped for you to mod yourself, I could sure hook that
    up for you?

The other things you could do to increase HP gain is a new header exhaust system, using high flow cat, high flow resonator,
    high flow mufflers.
    Also, to unleash the computer from holding it back, this will seriously increase HP and max your fuel if your not always putting
    your foot into it? LOL

Your computer is not to be messed with and if anyone told you they could get into it and mod it, be weary.
    All you need is a high performance chip with new maps that reconfigure your computer from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by orandaberg View Post
    Hi
    I had the same idea sort of here is a letter from Tim Carroll

The space in which the SRX has, limits your options.
    The next thing to understand about the engine you have?
    The intake design was engineered for maximum air intake, in other words there is no such thing as a electric
    tuirbo charger that can put out as much air as your design already takes in.
    When you added your Volant CAI you now have unrestricted intake, so you have max intake with its design.
    This actually has a slight increase in HP and in fuel economy, not a lot, but a little.

Back to the limited space and using a forced air induction.
    The exhaust turbo charger is not feasable in the limited space of the SRX without an expensive proffesional reconstruction
    of the enternal body.
    This is something that not only is way too much money! But would require a shop like ours that have the ability to reconstruct
    the inside.

The only forced induction you could install that would actually give you an extreme HP gain is a intake Supercharger,
    these types of forced air is an expensive add in, but they are an extreme high performance modification.
    If a Supercharger is somethiing you would like to buy and have shipped for you to mod yourself, I could sure hook that
    up for you?

The other things you could do to increase HP gain is a new header exhaust system, using high flow cat, high flow resonator,
    high flow mufflers.
    Also, to unleash the computer from holding it back, this will seriously increase HP and max your fuel if your not always putting
    your foot into it? LOL

Your computer is not to be messed with and if anyone told you they could get into it and mod it, be weary.
    All you need is a high performance chip with new maps that reconfigure your computer from the outside.
    The chip they recommend looks bogus, MadTuner is the only company in the states I've found that offers anything SPECIFICALLY for our SRX. Some people on the forum have used them with great results. But Cone said he already has the ecm taken care off.

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    I don't think there is room for a turbo under the hood, you can't build a decent turbo system for $1500, you can barely get a good turbo for $1000 lol. I think the stsv supercharger is the way to go, I need to figure out if I can spin the blower slow enough to make my boost, I will call Eaton tomorrow and find out the minimum rpm I can turn it.
    What do you mean minimum RPM? Its always turning whenever you give it gas. V8 will have zero issues being able to turn it.
    I think you could easily find a USED kit for a f body/mustang or something thats V8 from the forums for $1500.
    I like the idea of this and I hope you do go through with it, but it will be expensive and you will break a few things along the way.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mohr View Post
    The chip they recommend looks bogus, MadTuner is the only company in the states I've found that offers anything SPECIFICALLY for our SRX. Some people on the forum have used them with great results. But Cone said he already has the ecm taken care off.
    I believe the mail was sent to me before Madtuner had a tune?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.