Forced induction on the SRX - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Forced induction on the SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by Whiplash_89 What do you mean minimum RPM? Its always turning whenever you give it gas. V8 will ...
    conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Forced induction on the SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash_89 View Post
    What do you mean minimum RPM? Its always turning whenever you give it gas. V8 will have zero issues being able to turn it.
    I think you could easily find a USED kit for a f body/mustang or something thats V8 from the forums for $1500.
    I like the idea of this and I hope you do go through with it, but it will be expensive and you will break a few things along the way.
    OK think about it, the RPM of the blower determines the boost pressure (sort of) but I need to underdrive it (I think) so I don't make too much boost but I don't know how slow I can turn it and the blower still be efficient. I can't just turn it super slow as it may not work.

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

You would just use a bigger/smaller pulley. SCs have almost instant response since they don't rely on intake/exhaust to make boost. Crank turns regardless, but even though its always turning it doesn't mean it making boost. So depending on the size of the pulley; thats what would determine when the boost creeps up and how high it goes.

Yes I get that but your not taking into account the efficiency of the blower, it would be awesome if things were 100% efficient.

You can't always just turn things faster or slower, at some point you need a bigger or smaller blower, since this is based on the STS-V unit I need to figure out if I can slow it down enough to work right, if you end up bypassing air in the supercharger itself you just make heat.

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

I'm still not really sure what you mean by slowing it down. But if you understand what you're talking about then more power to you. As I said, I hope you figure it out and follow through.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Wouldn't the SC supplier be able to tell you, based on engine CFM, tune etc.? If they don't know, who would?
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

From the info I have found so far at 10,000RPM we have 90% at 5000RPM it goes to about 75%, from what I can see at 2000RPM the blower turns 4200RPM and at 4000RPM the blower at 8400RPM (obviously) and 12,600 RPM if I stand on it.

So by guessing I need to turn the blower 1/2 speed for half boost (not correct but a starting point, 4.6 is bigger and blower efficiency goes to crap) the blower barely works and will just be wasting power, this is a guess and it may all work just fine but may use more power than it makes or close to.

I think a smaller blower turning faster is the way to go, but I will find out.

In the end the CR may just be a bit on the high side to make it work well.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    Wouldn't the SC supplier be able to tell you, based on engine CFM, tune etc.? If they don't know, who would?
    We are basing everything off the STS-V blower, so I have to contact Eaton as they are the OEM.

Mr. Mohr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8 AWD Luxury Performance Package (Moonstone)
    Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    From the info I have found so far at 10,000RPM we have 90% at 5000RPM it goes to about 75%, from what I can see at 2000RPM the blower turns 4200RPM and at 4000RPM the blower at 8400RPM (obviously) and 12,600 RPM if I stand on it.

So by guessing I need to turn the blower 1/2 speed for half boost (not correct but a starting point, 4.6 is bigger and blower efficiency goes to crap) the blower barely works and will just be wasting power, this is a guess and it may all work just fine but may use more power than it makes or close to.

I think a smaller blower turning faster is the way to go, but I will find out.

In the end the CR may just be a bit on the high side to make it work well.

----------

We are basing everything off the STS-V blower, so I have to contact Eaton as they are the OEM.
    I know the STS-V makes more HP than the XLR-V (I think about 20-ish) I'm not sure if it is simply from tuning or possibly from a slightly larger diameter on the S/C pulley. Something to look into perhaps. If it is a different pulley, that may help base some numbers at least.

I'm sure it would work but not sure how well and how, I am going to move on from this for now and move my focus back to headers for now.

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    I'm sure it would work but not sure how well and how, I am going to move on from this for now and move my focus back to headers for now.
    Carroll Cadillac?

No I am making them.

That's probably best since it seams that nobody can actually get a response from them about their headers. Good luck with it.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I believe I asked this question about headers to Tim Carroll member. He had a project he was installing custom made headers. Have you tried his website? From past views I think he had pics of the engine project. He is a member an will answer emails pretty reqular.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.