Knocking & Shaking at Idle - Rod Knock? Something Else? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Knocking & Shaking at Idle - Rod Knock? Something Else? in Cadillac SRX Forums; The pump is a vane type. I suppose if it were real low on fluid it might knock but I ...
    glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Knocking & Shaking at Idle - Rod Knock? Something Else?

The pump is a vane type. I suppose if it were real low on fluid it might knock but I would rather expect a whine. That's what mine did.

The revving thing makes me think 'low oil pressure'. Get an external gauge to check.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

SRT ACE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Thanks for the suggestion, Glake. I don't have a pressure gauge yet, so right now I'm going to head outside, remove the belts, and check the tensioners and pulleys.

So, I just removed the belts and tugged on the pulleys and tensioners. All seemed firm with little to no play.

Additionally, I went for a drive with the PS/AC belt off (replaced the water pump/alt belt) to see if the knocking noise would reproduce, thereby eliminated the PS and AC as possible culprits. Sure enough, once hot, the noise reappeared. I was able to poke around a little more with the stethoscope with no running belt and the loudest spot I found was here:

Essentially it is right near the oil filter housing and the power steering pump.

Also, revving to 1300rpm was enough to quiet the knock.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Is the next step checking the oil pressure? Or, pulling the front engine cover?

is the next step checking the oil pressure?
    yes!

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Could be the oil filter bypass valve inside the oil filter housing same area im getting my noise from

Does anyone know the threading on the oil pressure sensor, for the oil pressure test?

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Does it make a different how far the wheel is turned? Had the car been super low on oil recently or only a quart low?

Thread is listed as 14mm

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

On my 07 oil pressure is one of the engine parameters I can read with my AeroforceTech gauge. Don't know if the 04 reports oil pressure to the ECM like the 07. If you have a smart phone many are using an app called Torque and a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the diagnostic port to transmit data. Just saying it might be an option to explore to see if you could read pressure rather than plumbing in a gauge.
    As reference my warm engine oil pressure is 20-25 psi at idle and around 60 psi at 2000 rpm.

Thanks to those playing along at home. I haven't been able to troubleshoot at all in the last week as I've been caught up with house projects. I bought an oil pressure gauge and should be able to update by the end of the weekend!

Update time: I have been very short of time as the wifey and I are preparing for the arrival of our second child, so I took the car to the local Cadillac dealer for diagnostic work. I still had yet to test the oil pressure. The tech "traced the noise to the timing chain and tensioners." A complete timing chain job was the recommended fix quoted at $2,300. Any reason to question their diagnosis? I'm debating whether or not to do the work myself - obviously time has been at a premium.

I've looked into purchasing the cam shaft holders, front cover guide pins, spark plug guides, flywheel holder, and harmonic balancer installer. What tools are highly recommended? Which ones not really needed? What did you all use to turn the crank? Is the crank special socket worth the $35?

Are there any other parts worth changing out that are not included in a timing chain set (other than seals and gaskets)?

Anyone local to SE PA who wants to earn some cash money??

Thanks all.

-Alex

----------

Glake, with the updated information, would you still check the oil pressure before beginning the repair work?

Well, if low oil pressure turned out to be the cause of chain failure....................... To me, it's an easy check and peace of mind is worth something.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Flywheel holder isn't needed get the camshaft locking tools off eBay for the v6 engine those will be your best best turning the crank is a 19mm socket. Remember the top 4 timing marks are needed to be aligned for dissassembly the rest are for installation.

Something you might want to consider before having chain work done. From the SM-
    "The primary timing drive chain uses two stationary timing drive chain guides and an oil pressure hydraulically actuated tensioner with built-in shoe. The tensioners minimize timing drive chain noise and provides accurate valve action by keeping slack out of the timing drive chains and continuously adjusting for timing drive chain wear. The tensioners incorporate a plunger that adjusts out with wear allowing only a minimal amount of backlash. The tensioners are equipped with oiling jets to spray oil onto the timing components during engine operation. The secondary timing drive chains use a stationary timing drive chain guide and movable timing drive chain shoe. The secondary timing drive chain shoe is under tension from an oil pressure hydraulically actuated tensioner. All tensioners are sealed to the head or block using a rubber coated steel gasket. The gasket traps an adequate oil reserve to ensure quiet start-up."

ie. with higher pressure, no noise. Also look to anti drain back valve in oil filter. If it failed you'd have no pressure at cold start up.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

I strongly suspect this engine is sludged, and the noise may be a bad lifter that is intermittently losing pressure to a sticking ball or spring.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.