No oil on dipstick
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, No oil on dipstick in Cadillac SRX Forums; I've had no issues with oil consumption problem on my SRX until now. The oil change place noted no oil ...
    Sackett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

No oil on dipstick

I've had no issues with oil consumption problem on my SRX until now. The oil change place noted no oil on the dipstick. I'm at 46k miles. I'm concerned now . Question: does this issue affect other GM vehicles with the 3.6 or just this one? Reason being I may use this as the impetus to move on and my wife really likes the Enclave.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Yes most of the 3.6 had the oil consumption issue due to initial engine break in. Only way to fix it is rebuild or replace. The piston rings and valve stem seals are the main issue.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Re: No oil on dipstick

Keep a close eye on it, that's all. Always keep the oil level in the acceptable range and check with every fill-up. BTW: Buick Enclave has the same engine and therefore, has the same issue.

Ranger007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX 3.6

Sackett - do a search on this forum for 'dipstick' - message from WildSioux (Apr 2012) or me, Ranger007

You'll find that it isn't easy trying to determine the amount of oil in your engine. I stand by my post (back then) that the wrong dipstick is in my 3.6, but Cadillac says it is the right one - I just tried to order a new one a couple of months ago and the one they shipped to the dealer is the one already in my vehicle. Wrong!

Mine (60,000 mi) doesn't use a lot of oil, all of the time, maybe only 1 1/2 quarts in 3,000 miles. Sometimes a quart more, sometimes less, - go figure!

I'm still not comfortable checking my own oil with this dipstick and certainly not comfortable with someone else checking it. I just go with my best guess, and try to not overfill it, because I certainly don't want it to go too low. Can you say 'timing chain'?

If someone has found an accurate measuring method I would like to hear it.

Best of luck!

Bill

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Yes most of the 3.6 had the oil consumption issue due to initial engine break in. Only way to fix it is rebuild or replace. The piston rings and valve stem seals are the main issue.
    Really?

Do you know the global production numbers on these engines vs issues?

If you don't have data please don't make statements like this, we all know you hate your car and are mad because you bought a used SRX that the first owner abused, but your statement is just untrue.

Yes some of the V6's had oil consumption issues, most of the owners here are only here because they have a V6 and it ran out of oil or was using oil so they came here to post and for resources, the other ????? V6 owners can't use a computer or have no issues. Yes I have read on other forums (Lambda) but again people come here to complain about it not post their V6 is working perfect so the forums are not always the best place to gather numbers or facts. That being said I don't have the numbers either but stop scaring people and lets try and educate them instead.

The engine is used in over 20 cars and SUV's around the world, if most of them failed don't you think GM would have to deal with it or maybe they just covered it up, the truth is out there right....

Don't really care to research the production numbers but as I was talking with the service writer at the caddy dealership out here even he admits the 3.6 is garbage. They deal with the oil consumption issues weekly no matter what vehicle its in. It is very well documented on here and from several other people that the 3.6 eats through oil. Nobody on here complains about the V8 doing this. Yes I hate this piece of junk but so do the other mechanics that deal with the 3.6. Yes there is plenty of money to be made CONSTANTLY working on them but that is only good for mechanics and not the everyday consumer.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

again... nobody brings their car into the dealer when it's running perfectly just to stop in and let them know everything's just fine

same as how forums are often mostly just complaints and problems ... those without problems don't seek out the forum to make note of their trouble-free car

if i had to guess i'd say that less than 5% of them had major failure and something like 25% have oil consumption issues (for whatever reason... break-in, neglect, etc) that can lead to major failure if you don't check your oil level often enough with the dipstick and add oil as needed in-between oil changes
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

So you know a mechanic who see lots of broken engines?

I know a doctor who sees lots of sick people....

Not trying to pick a fight but just saying.

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

repnatl, "the caddy dealership out here even he admits the 3.6 is garbage." If these engines were actually considered garbage by Caddy dealerships, wouldn't it have made sense for Cadillac to stop putting them in so many cars? Any engine that's abused will have issues and from what I have seen on this forum, alot of these engines are abused either out of ignorance or carelessness.

No i meant the service writer and some of the mechanics that worked there said they were garbage of course cadillac as a whole won't admit that. Most manufactures have well known issues with their vehicles and typically issue tsb's status that fact like the gm electric power steering issues cam accuator issues in the ecotec motors drl on cts and srx 3 valve spark plugs on fords etc i can go on and on i mainly work on gm vehicles so i know a good bit of issues they have. I know nothing will happen with these issues it almost always falls on the consumer no matter who abused neglected or even very well maintained the vehicle its all a matter of chance. But there are plenty of oil consumption cases even with very low mileage and very good maintenance records again its all chance. And he is right nobody comes to a forum to praise a vehicle we are on here for help and or complaints. This is the craigslist rant section of gm lol.

Dealer has agreed to run a consumption test. We'll see how that goes.

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

These engines suck

Currently undergoing an official consumption test. Good news is no consumption noted in first 900 miles. Will just have to keep a close eye on it.

Well now the engine knows your watching
    Carrick likes this.

Yah. How often are you guys changing oil? When the dummy warning tells you? By miles? Other?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.