No oil on dipstick - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, No oil on dipstick in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by PJ1520 STILLROLLIN........if you drive for extended periods of time over 3,000 rpm, you may use more motor ...
    Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

Re: No oil on dipstick

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    STILLROLLIN........if you drive for extended periods of time over 3,000 rpm, you may use more motor oil. But for sure you will use more $$$ paying for speeding tickets. :-) PJ
    Let's see now. The last speeding ticket I received was in 1978 while driving a 77 Buick LeSabre Sport Coupe and it was for driving fifty in a forty five zone. I considered this to be revenue enhancement.
    In my 'o8 SRX V6, I often have to drive over 3000 rpm's in order to maintain posted speed signs which will hardly cost me any more than the gasoline and the small amount of oil consumed.
    Incidentally this takes place on trips down I77, I79 as well as I75 all in mountainous regions.

Sackett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    Sackett.....were these the same guys who changed the oil the time before the level was low? Maybe these oil change guys did not replace the spent oil with the right amount. That happened to me, but I happened to check the motor oil level myself about an hour later. Two quarts low!!!!.
    I thought I did but I don't remember now. We got the car at 25k with a fresh oil change. It wasn't long after that that I found out about the oil problem on this forum, so I was checking it regularly but I fell out of practice after the last go round. I don't habitually use the same place. I use the place with the shortest line on Saturday because I rarely have time during the week and the dealer isn't open on Saturday. I'm going to watch the oil like a hawk now though . Shame I have to though. We have a Saab 9-3 with the 2.8T (that made a brief appearance in the current SRX) and it doesn't burn a drop at 80k miles and counting.
    How much oil does the dipstick show anyhow? Ie when it's dry how much is missing?

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
    I've had no issues with oil consumption problem on my SRX until now. The oil change place noted no oil on the dipstick. I'm at 46k miles. I'm concerned now ...
    My question is this, how many times had you checked the oil before you brought it in to get the oil changed? You say no oil consumption issues until after you brought it in.. Had you been checking your oil or is there only a problem now that someone told you the oil was super low before the oil change? Oil consumption affects every vehicle although the quantity varies. Had your SRX been blowing blue smoke out the back? I find all these horror stories about suddenly the oil being super low hard to believe.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

It may not be burning it so don't look for smoke, if it is coming in on the back side of the stroke it is not burnt in the engine and just runs into the cat.

Ranger007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX 3.6

If you want some interesting reading go to the thread located below (started in April 2012)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...6-vs-v8-4.html

How much oil is in your engine - damn near anybody's guess. My dipstick does read higher on one side than the other and the question remains, do I have the right dipstick in my vehicle?

They seemed to have determined (or a least settled or regrouped or whatever) on the dipstick which belongs in the 2009 and forward 3.6 -but what about the 2008? My earlier post in this thread says that the N* is the part number for the 2008, now. What did they say in 2008?

Anyway, best of luck. It is still by guess and by golly.

Some will make fun of this post - but when you change your own oil, measure what is drained and carefully measure as you refill you will see why I continue to pursue the matter

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.