No oil on dipstick - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, No oil on dipstick in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by Sackett Yah. How often are you guys changing oil? When the dummy warning tells you? By miles? ...
    Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

Re: No oil on dipstick

Quote Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
    Yah. How often are you guys changing oil? When the dummy warning tells you? By miles? Other?
    Bingo! I haven't had a lot of oil consumption on my '08 SRX V6 in the 25,000 miles I have driven it since buying it used in early 2011.
    Of course, I make it a point to check the oil level once per week and note the level after a oil change. I made the decision to NOT follow
    the oil life "suggestions" the DIC sends, even before I bought the car since I made the decision to limit miles between changes to 4500
    on my '07 Trailblazer SS which also had an overly optimistic view of oil life usefulness.
    I consider this engine to be "adequate" as a power plant for a vehicle weighing 4500 pounds or so.
    Do I think it is a good replacement for the "ancient" cast iron 3.8 liter turbocharged V6? NO!

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Is no level sensor for the 3.6

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    The oil LIFE monitor is actually very accurate and scientifically proven. Oil LEVEL is a different thing altogether.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    The oil LIFE monitor is actually very accurate and scientifically proven. Oil LEVEL is a different thing altogether.
    Oh yes! This is particularly true if you don't drive your vehicles hard.
    I drive mine like I have stolen them and in the SRX's case, my experience has shown that it will consume oil if driven
    very far or often above 3000 rpms in mountainous terrain.

newsrxowner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX 2001 Deville
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillrollin

I drive mine like I have stolen them and in the SRX's case, my experience has shown that it will consume oil if driven
    I go by the oil life indicator. I put about 400 miles a week on the car and I have found it does a good job. Now talk about oil consumption I am adding about 1/2 quart of mobile one every 1000 miles or so which is better then my wife's 2001 deville which is 2 quarts every 1000. Now some talked about the low oil indicator in the 3.6 or lack there of. The deville has a N* in it and if it does get too low the dummy indicator comes on. Not so on the 3.6. It would be nice if it had one.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

SM says that V6 has an oil level sensor. Threads into pan from bottom.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

2broke4this is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX V6 RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Stillrollin View Post
    I've only had mine for a month and a half, but there certainly seems to be something with the mountains... or the highway... or both. I drove mine to Nashville and back last weekend (about 1300 miles), and it chugged through 3.5 quarts! That said, it poured smoke out the exhaust on the way home, so I'm thinking there's something a little out of the ordinary going on! Dealership marked the dipstick this week and are having me drive it to do a consumption test. I guess my log of oil addition and the fact that I haven't even put 2k miles on it isn't good enough! I don't understand how a car that seems to be such a mess still seems to run and drive so darn well!

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Sackett.....were these the same guys who changed the oil the time before the level was low? Maybe these oil change guys did not replace the spent oil with the right amount. That happened to me, but I happened to check the motor oil level myself about an hour later. Two quarts low!!!!

----------

I do not mean to sound disrespectful. But the comments in this thread demonstrate a serios misunderstanding of the oil life monitor, the oil level, and the oil pressure......the oil life monitor is indeed accurate as was stated, the level can only be measured on the dipstick, and if the low oil pressure is present you are already in deep doo doo.

I ALWAYS check the oil level in my SRX after hang the oil changed as soon as I get a cool down in my garage. In this way I KNOW what the proper levee should be the NEXT time I check it. At the same time,I also ALWAYS check the torque setting on my wheel lug nuts any time they are removed for any reason.
    I have found some service techs use a "preset" air wrench to tighten the nuts and have had at times needed to put a three foot pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar to get them loose. Of course this is ALWAYS the last time I ever use that shop.
    Regarding low oil pressure, GM considers 25 psi at idle to be sufficient oil pressure.
    I personally don't agree with this assumption and consider it to be contributory to the stretched timing chains and worn out sprockets that others have experienced. I also plan to continue to use my own mileage standards which are less than that which the oil life monitor suggests because I KNOW that driving extended periods of time over 3000 rpms will cause the little piggy to consume oil.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    SM says that V6 has an oil level sensor. Threads into pan from bottom.
    Not sure when but this feature was deleted. It's not on my 07. The same with the 03 Envoy. Early 02's had the sensor but wasn't carried over into the 2nd model year.
    Wonder if it just didn't work and caused a liability issue.... any case not a substitute for looking under the hood and checking via the dipstick.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 2broke4this View Post
    I've only had mine for a month and a half, but there certainly seems to be something with the mountains... or the highway... or both. I drove mine to Nashville and back last weekend (about 1300 miles), and it chugged through 3.5 quarts! That said, it poured smoke out the exhaust on the way home, so I'm thinking there's something a little out of the ordinary going on! Dealership marked the dipstick this week and are having me drive it to do a consumption test. I guess my log of oil addition and the fact that I haven't even put 2k miles on it isn't good enough! I don't understand how a car that seems to be such a mess still seems to run and drive so darn well!
    Hi 2broke4this,

I am sorry your vehicle seems to be experiencing an oil consumption issue. Please keep us posted on this issue and if you would like to discuss anything or have other questions, reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Some people confuse the OLM with oil level, they have nothing to do with each other.

The OLM has not idea your oil level, I would assume it assumes the pan is full, the OLM will however change based on oil temp so it would speed up a bit based on high oil temp from low oil but not enough to keep up with checking the oil.

If your engine is not using oil then why not use the OLM?

I too at times have a hard time trusting in engineering but until Scully and Fox tell me the OLM is crap I will stick with it, assuming I have the amount of oil the system thinks I do.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

STILLROLLIN........if you drive for extended periods of time over 3,000 rpm, you may use more motor oil. But for sure you will use more $$$ paying for speeding tickets. :-) PJ

2broke4this is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX V6 RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hi 2broke4this,

I am sorry your vehicle seems to be experiencing an oil consumption issue. Please keep us posted on this issue and if you would like to discuss anything or have other questions, reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Laura,

Thanks for reaching out. At this point, I can't REALLY complain about how the dealership is handling the situation (although I suppose I did whine a little bit). I know they need to do a more accurate measurement. I bought the car used at a Ford dealership, so I have no real room to get upset. I mean, I'll be upset if they don't take care of it, but I really have no reason to expect them not to treat me right. I didn't really intend to jack this thread, but I suppose it's gone all over the place already! I'll start my own thread when I have more information. I've only had a chance to put about 50 miles on it since I got it back, I need to find a reason to go drive it somewhere and show them what its using. Thanks again.

-Carl

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 2broke4this View Post
    Laura,

Thanks for reaching out. At this point, I can't REALLY complain about how the dealership is handling the situation (although I suppose I did whine a little bit). I know they need to do a more accurate measurement. I bought the car used at a Ford dealership, so I have no real room to get upset. I mean, I'll be upset if they don't take care of it, but I really have no reason to expect them not to treat me right. I didn't really intend to jack this thread, but I suppose it's gone all over the place already! I'll start my own thread when I have more information. I've only had a chance to put about 50 miles on it since I got it back, I need to find a reason to go drive it somewhere and show them what its using. Thanks again.

-Carl
    Hi Carl,

Thanks for the response and keeping me updated on this concern. Continue to share your progress and updates, and if I need to help assist you in the future, I am more than happy to do so!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.