'04, check Engine Lights, massive loss of power out of the blue with no warning
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, '04, check Engine Lights, massive loss of power out of the blue with no warning in Cadillac SRX Forums; Sorry if this has been discussed to death, but i couldn't find this exact issue through searching. So, driving home ...
    jim777 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 SRX

'04, check Engine Lights, massive loss of power out of the blue with no warning

Sorry if this has been discussed to death, but i couldn't find this exact issue through searching.

So, driving home ont he highway at about 55, and power just disappears, speed drops to about 35-40. no matter how hard I put my foot on the gas the tach tops out at about 3K. Stereo flashes "Service Engine Soon" and goes off after about 3 seconds, but the engine light stays on. i get off the highway and sut off the car for a bit, then turn it on again, and it seems fine. It happens 2 more ttimes ont eh way home, once stopping dead crossing over another lane with an 18 wheeker bearing down on me. i honestly don't know if i can get it to a dealer or mechanic.

It's an '04, V6, 79,666 miles on it (maybe it was the 666? ) Oil life says 45%, trasmission says 89%, it isn't making any odd noises and seemed trouble free until this happened. When I checked the owners manual it said something baout the gas cap being loose or not closed properly, or possibly bad gas. I have my doubts. anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks in advance!

jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: '04, check Engine Lights, massive loss of power out of the blue with no warning

Does the engine have any oil in it, not the monitor but pull the dipstick and see if it has oil.

Re: '04, check Engine Lights, massive loss of power out of the blue with no warning

That was it, no oil. I never saw it leave so much as a drop behind, but this is great news, thanks!

One more thing - is the hood supposed to stay up by itself when opened, or is there an arm that holds it up that I missed? It is heavy, and doesn't stay up by itself on my car.

thanks again,

jim

cpautoxer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX V8

I just had the same thing happen to me. It turned out that the coil packs on the driver side of the engine (N*V8) had just let go. When it happened the car lost most of the power and the idle was so rough I though the bottom of the motor let go. Glad it was just the coil packs. Anyway the dealer replaced the cat pipe under warranty due to the codes it through! Thank god I didn't have to pay for that!! The total cost of the coil pack replacement and plug change was $800. Ouch but it runs great and now is getting 1-2 MPG better.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

jim, there are 2 gas struts that hold the hood open. Are yours missing?
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

The key is V6, must keep an eye on the oil level.

The two struts (like thin shock absorbers) are there, they just don't seem to do anything. The hood is heavy and would crack my skull open if I let go of it! lol I guess I may need to see if I can find some replacements at a junk yard or something.

And thanks again everyone for the oil level tip on the V6, I will watch it like a hawk going forward and likely check the oil level every time I fill up the car. Hopefully it will go the three miles to Pep Boys so I can grab some Mobil 1 this afternoon without much bother. I really love this car, if it had an AUX port for my mp3 player it would be perfect

While there (Pep), check out replacement struts and have your codes read and erased. Write down what the codes were.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Will do, thanks

n7don_srx is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    jim, there are 2 gas struts that hold the hood open. Are yours missing?
    Interesting.... my 07 only has one lift support. Wonder if one support will replace two?

No expense was spared on our older cars.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by n7don_srx View Post

Interesting.... my 07 only has one lift support. Wonder if one support will replace two?
    Yeah my 06 had one but i bought the studs to add the second strut and this hood is extremely light lol

Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    Wouldn't the engine be toast after losing power and stalling due to lack of oil? Possibly it turns off before damage occurs otherwise you have bigger bills than a few quarts of oil in your future.

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

This is the first thread that I have seen so far where no oil in your engine is considered a great thing. Jim, when was the last time you actually checked the oil? and if no oil shows on the dipstick how much oil is actually left in the crankcase? Mr Electric .. you would think it would damage the engine especially if it was being affected so much by it that it had lost enormous power.. What I also find troubling was that it had lost power and was running like crap you parked it and restarted and ran it without checking a few basics under the hood. One of the first things i would have done after pulling over was check the oil, the coolant ..Are a good percentage of Cadillac owners unfamiliar with basic engine maintenance and checking? Since, they probably usually have the butler or chauffeur do it?

It was low on oil, not completely empty. I put in two quarts which likely was too much.

Anyway...Pep Boys said the code was a faulty throttle position sensor, and told me it needed to go to the dealership. They told me they wouldn't change the oil at this point due to that, and didn't charge me anything for any of stuff they did or time they spent, which to me was pretty cool of them.

I got the car this February, 'oil life' was in the 90% range, and this is the first issue of any kind I've had with the car in the almost 3 months I've had it. To be honest, I have never had a car before that blew through oil on a regular basis, so didn't know that checking the level frequently was a must with this car. The '95 Camry wagon this replaced (that had 275K on it) always had nearly every drop of its oil when it got changed, so the whole "gotta keep checking the oil on it" schtick is new to me.

Bottom line here, it was not the oil, or any other fluid, it was and is a mechanical failure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.