'04, check Engine Lights, massive loss of power out of the blue with no warning - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, '04, check Engine Lights, massive loss of power out of the blue with no warning in Cadillac SRX Forums; Jim, what was the throttle position sensor code number. there are several and you may not need to go to ...
    glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: '04, check Engine Lights, massive loss of power out of the blue with no warning

Jim, what was the throttle position sensor code number. there are several and you may not need to go to a dealer if you want to DIY.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

jim777 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 SRX

Re: '04, check Engine Lights, massive loss of power out of the blue with no warning

Brought it to the dealer, $800 dollars to fix. I didn't get the exact code from Pep Boys, just what they said it meant.

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

TPS sensor errors seem to be 'common' somewhat. Did you try jiggling or pulling the throttle body wiring out of it and plugging it back in? just to see?

jim777 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 SRX

No, I am not mechanically inclined to the point where I would recognize the throttle body to begin with, and the issue wasn't 100% confirmed before I brought it to the dealer - they definitel;y weren't going to let me off cheap. To be honest, though I've only owned the car for 3 months and 2 thousand miles I am leaning very heavily at this point to fixing it and trading it on something Japanese. As TimRSRX rightly noted, my butler and chauffeur might have to be let go if thousand dollar fixes and checking oil at every stop light are to be the norm with this car.

But I do appreciate the help that was provided, but I likely should have gotten somethign known to be bulletproof if that was what I really needed. Very disappointed at this point with the car.

Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    If you need reliability Honda or Toyota is the way to go. Don't get a Mazda or Isuzu or some other second string brand. Toyota and Honda are the only brands that are super reliable , the economy car Honda and toyotas at least. Once you go for a 6 cylinder loaded luxury Japanese car you will spend big on maintenance just changing fluids. Acura and Lexus parts and fluids are very expensive.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.electric View Post
    If you need reliability Honda or Toyota is the way to go. Don't get a Mazda or Isuzu or some other second string brand. Toyota and Honda are the only brands that are super reliable , the economy car Honda and toyotas at least. Once you go for a 6 cylinder loaded luxury Japanese car you will spend big on maintenance just changing fluids. Acura and Lexus parts and fluids are very expensive.
    Awesome choices its hard the kill those cars and maintenance is next to nothing. For half the price of a base srx get a fully loaded accord with plenty of great options to boat

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Must resist urge to argue.

At least compare apples to apples, an accord is not an SUV, so MDX vs SRX or accord vs Malibu I guess?

I understand what your saying but IMO the myth about Japanese cars is just that a myth, the value just is not there in the real world. People have the same shock with the German stuff, it fails, my MIL's 09 X3 had both read coil springs fail, very well documented issue with the 3 series but that did not stop them from charging $1000 to change them, had in stock as well, why would a dealer have rear springs in stock lol

Search for accord oil usage issues, before you go buy one make sure it is not an oil user, here is a good line to end with, "all the accords use oil" lol

I think the 4cylinder Japanese economy cars are where the reliability can be found. Specifically Honda and Toyota. To compare apples to apples I have done plenty of $2000 services on Acura MDX and would not say it is not much different from a Cadillac. The MDX weighs almost 7000 pounds, gets crappy gas mileage and needs Acura fluids that cost an arm and a leg. The original poster just got in over his head buying a used luxury car. The same service sticker shock could have happened with almost any brand of luxury vehicle. I think the German luxury cars cost the most of all luxury brands. I group European cars together for the most part. A German car is not more reliable than a British or French car in my book.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Please tell me more about these Acura fluids, are they extracted from Gelflings?

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

I agree about Honda's. We had a 2004 Honda CR-V before purchasing our SRX.. put almost 100k on it before trading it in and never had any problem with it whatsoever. Had it for almost six years and we only lost a couple thousand on depreciation on the trade. Try doing that with a Cadillac. It had the 4 cyl as noted above, but never really felt like a 4 cyl. We would have bought a new CR-V if they hadn't ruined the design by making the back side windows curve downward so drastically. Really liked our CR-V. Extemely Dislike the new design. I think any vehicle you get should be checked on regularly, not at every stop light like Jim sarcastically and inaccurately referenced me saying. We haven't had any major problems with our SRX yet. Any work we have done on it was basically because the previous owner neglected doing things like changing bulbs. I think if you don't know how to / and neglect to check your oil on a regular basis with any car you have; you shouldn't own a car and just take taxis where ever you need to go.

SlimSpady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX

there is an excellent post on here of how to clean your throttle control body and reset your codes.
    First time I needed a code erased, my Dealer charged me $120. Second time I needed a code erased, I searched this forum,
    and found a post of how to erase codes. I went to local wally world and bought a cheap OBD2 reader, followed instructions and saved myself hundreds of Dollars. My engine has just failed, in shop now being replaced (2004 3.6 AWD) I've only owned car for a 5 months, first breakdown was 3K (30 days after purchase) 3 weeks later, Throttle body/ random CELs but I fixed it myself. I also was not told this engine burns oil, or that I was supposed to have Mobil 1 Synthetic ONLYl
    I haven't put 8000KM (I'm a Canuck lol), it's been nothing but problems, I've spent more on repairs than I have purchasing the vehicle.
    (***Lawsuit Pending - NOT a Cadillac dealer - to clarify, It was purchased from a used car dealer*** Luckily in Nova Scotia Canada, Buyers (who buy from dealers, NOT PRIVATE SALES) have rights and implied warranty - under NS consumer protection act). IF you still have throttle position issues, I highly suggest you try cleaning the throttle body as described in other posts, took less than an hour to do it myself.

I wonder if dislodging all the gunk in your throttle body contributed to your engine blowing up.

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Wouldn't a TPS issue, set a specific TPS Code?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.