Rotating noise.......STUMPED!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By glake89
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Rotating noise.......STUMPED!!! in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have a 2008 SRX4 with the V-6, All Wheel Drive and 20" wheels. My most recent problem is a ...
    blackiceyzfr1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX 4

Rotating noise.......STUMPED!!!

I have a 2008 SRX4 with the V-6, All Wheel Drive and 20" wheels. My most recent problem is a strange one. I seem to have developed a unique noise while driving. The best wat to describe it would be that it sounds like a spun bearing, almost a constant rubbing noise that almost sounds like a brake pad dragging on a rotor. I know that it is not a brake issue for sure. While driving, the noise is constant and can be heard better over 40 mph or so and next to something, ie.... retaining wall on freeway. The strange part is that the noise is apparent while at a constant speed, deceleration or acceleration. When you lift off the gas, at that brief second while there is no load either way, the noise is gone. Also, If you put the car in nuetral while moving the noise goes away, only to return once you put it back into gear. Any ideas or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated....... I could really use some help if anybody out there has any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Rotating noise.......STUMPED!!!

Transmission issue maybe, torque converter going bad.

Search for torque converter and you will find some threads, read them and report back if it sounds like the same.

blackiceyzfr1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX 4

I read through quite a few of the torque converter posts and I am not really sure what to think. I noticed that they all had similar experiences as far as the feel and function of the problem. Although mine is similar, it is also different at the same time. My issue so far is literally a noise only, so far it hasnt affected the performance of the engine idle at all, there is no shuttering of any kind, there doesnt seem to be any leaks or smells. I dont get this one, it is simply a really annoying sound....... so far anyways. This is a real bummer since Ive only owned this thing for about 3 months now. I love this car alot and I would love to get it back to the respectable state of quality that we have all come to know as Cadillac. Any future help or ideas will be extremely appreciated and thanks for the lead on the threads so far.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Check your splash shields, I had a noise too check thread "sounds like a cow bell under my car" Shows a pic the rotor splash shield was scraping the rotor, Better to look for the simple things and work your way up to the expensive

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

The only other possibility that comes to mind is the accessory belt area. It could be that the belt is slipping under load and or one of the pulleys bearings are worn. Have you tried parking in the drive way and depressing the brake pedal to keep the vehicle from moving and then stepping on the gas while in drive? Open the windows or have someone else on hand to listen for the noise.

JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

I have a 2008 SRX4 with the V-6, All Wheel Drive and 20" wheels. My most recent problem is a strange one. I seem to have developed a unique noise while driving. The best wat to describe it would be that it sounds like a spun bearing, almost a constant rubbing noise that almost sounds like a brake pad dragging on a rotor. I know that it is not a brake issue for sure. While driving, the noise is constant and can be heard better over 40 mph or so and next to something, ie.... retaining wall on freeway. The strange part is that the noise is apparent while at a constant speed, deceleration or acceleration. When you lift off the gas, at that brief second while there is no load either way, the noise is gone. Also, If you put the car in nuetral while moving the noise goes away, only to return once you put it back into gear. Any ideas or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated....... I could really use some help if anybody out there has any suggestions.
    I have this exact same noise, although I have the V8 with the 6sp. A very faint 'rubbing' type noise. Steady with normal driving, quiet when coasting, slightly louder with heavy accelerations, and I can hear it a little more when I'm towing my trailer. It is definitely not the brake splash guards located behind the calipers (I had that noise too). A V6 that I test drove had this sound as well, although it was VERY loud.

I'm convinced its either the torque converter, or one of the pulleys from the engine bay. The sound seems to come more from the underside of the vehicle which makes me think Transmission. But...........if we have the same sound, and two different drive trains, is it possible that it's the Tranny? I really wanted to say that it got quieter when I swapped my transfer case fluid, but I can't say for sure.

I was going to have the transmission fluid swapped in the next 30 days or so before trailer towing season starts. I'll report back if this changes the attenuation of the noise at all. In the meantime, i'm not particularly worried about it. Hasn't changed sound since I started driving it last June.

----------

After reading up on torque converter assemblies, I now think it's the stator within the converter assembly. This changes from functional to freewheeling at approx. 40mph. (the speed at which you and I start to hear the noise)

Anyone think this is accurate?

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Transfer case maybe?
    Stillrollin and Stillrollin like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

weccjc67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX AWD V8

I had exactly the same problem with mine. It is the Transfer Case. Cadillac Dealer tried to repair but then replaced the Transfer Case with a new one, took them a bit to figure out what it was. Heard that sound along walls, under bridges, concrete dividers. No noise now after replacement of Transfer Case.

Front wheel bearing?

weccjc67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX AWD V8

I also forgot to mention, when you are driving at say 40mph or when you here the noise put the shifter in neutral and just roll under the next overpass or listen for it next to a concrete divider and see if it goes away. My noise went away doing this and that's when it was zeroed down to the Transmission or Transfer Case, it ended being the transfer case. Good Luck

Can you not lift the car and go under an spin the wheels? Just to hear if it makes a noise? Or have some one in the car and put it in drive and listen, wheels spining , obviously you will have it lifted via the underbody

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.