HID wiring question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. Mohr
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, HID wiring question in Cadillac SRX / XT5 Forums; I have looked through the HID threads and have not found a direct answer, so I bring my problem before ...
    Mr. Mohr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8 AWD Luxury Performance Package (Moonstone)

HID wiring question

I have looked through the HID threads and have not found a direct answer, so I bring my problem before the forum. My '04 uses a 12-pin ballast. The previous owner cracked the passenger headlamp and picked up a replacement at a salvage yard. Only problem is that the "new" unit is a 4-pin ballast instead of 12. I discovered this when I went to replace the bulb in the passenger light, the 4-pin ballast is not sealed and looks like it had some moisture in it at some time. Now the precious owner did remove the 12-pin ballst and bulb from the old cracked headlamp. Since this 4-pin is toast, and I already have a 12-pin like it is supposed to be using, is there a way to use that ballast instead of the 4? If not, I will most likely use a sealed aftermarket ballast instead as I read these are more reliable and less expensive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: HID wiring question

First change both bulbs or your colour will be off.

Could it be a non-HID housing he tried to make fit?

Pictures would help.

Good advice on the bulbs. He kept the old bulb, so I can put it in if its still good and check if the color is still the same. I'll take pictures when I can, but it is certainly a factory HID headlamp, it just has (what looks like) a bad ballast due to moisture and is 4-pin not 12-pin.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Ok, so I fixed it! I removed both headlamps and removed the ballast from both. I saw how the 12 pin was wired up (uses only 2 wires) and how the 4 pin was wired (also only 2 wires). So I moved the wires around in the connector to match the locations on the 12 pin. Then trimmed a small ridge off the bottom so it would fit were I needed it to. Plugged everything in and buttoned it back up. Voila! Headlight fixed. I'm awesome.
    Parrisk likes this.

BoostMasterK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX (past- 01STS,93STS)

can you post a pic, or what wires were in use on the 4pin? I have the opposite problem, a 4 pin replacement for the 12 pin that was on the car. Thanks, Mike

8. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.