brakes slipping?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, brakes slipping? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi Guys, tried searching and googling for general info, but unable to really figure this out yet. Did my first ...
    jgodfrey82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX NorthStar - just purchased, and loving it!

Question brakes slipping?

Hi Guys, tried searching and googling for general info, but unable to really figure this out yet.

Did my first brake job on my 2007, new pads and rotors from Autozone. Used Cmax (ceramic) pads and their top rotors.

Everything seems great, but now and then getting "slipping" where it feels like they grind a little at the very end of the stop. The stopping power is good and consistent through the stops, but right at the end it almost feels like a slip or grind, and only intermittently.

I "bedded" the brakes right away after install, and everything sounded great throughout, then randomly on a normal driving stop I had the noise.

Tooks the wheels off again last night, made sure everything looked right and tight, test drove for an hour with lots of fast stops and normal stops, no sound, normal driving today, heard it again at the end of a stop.

Any advice for a newbie DIY'er appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: brakes slipping?

Is it coming from any one side in particular? Could be a bent splash shield. You say it only happens at the end of a stop where the car is slow enough to hear it, do you feel the grind in the stop pedal

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

I am not sure what you mean with brakes 'slipping'. If it means that you do not always good braking power or resistance, there may be grease on the rotors. It is important that the braking surfaces are completely clean and you can accomplish that by either not handling those surface when you install, or cleaning the areas thoroughly! Also, NEVER apply caliper paint to rotors.

Orandaberg - Splash guard? As in the metal guides that go into the brake bracket to hold the pads? I am not certain if I feel in the pedal or not, I want to say yes, but nothing dramatic.

08SRX - I cleaned before/during install using brake parts cleaner and a towel, is this enough? Is it OK to open up and reclean the rotor?

I have a thread on here called "sounds like a cow bell under my car" eventually I also had a grinding sound as i slowed the car before finally replacing my rotors and saw the splash guard (which is behind the rotor)had a bent tab and would rub the rotor at low speeds and give a grinding no sometimes. There is a picture on the post. If you know where the sound is coming from more or less you can raise the vehicle and spin the wheel. But you use the term slipping as if it looses grip and re grips?
    You said you did a proper bed in of the brakes. If for some reason you do have some glaze on the pads, maybe try another bed in. If you have the time remove them and have a look, when you did the brakes I assume the rubber around the main piston was good on the caliper?

ok, checked your post... will have to get under it and look at splash guard... a little deeper than I have been yet.

The term slipping, yes, it almost feels like it is loosing grip and then regripping, but not until I am already almost stopped... almost feels like there is grease on the rotor and the pad slips, again, I checked and could not see any sign of anything on the rotors. maybe I should take tire off and reclean the rotors with brake cleaner? Is this safe to do?

could it just be that the ceramic pads are not broken in yet? Maybe this will go away with a couple of weeks of driving?

there are bolts that hold the calipers in place, these have rubber boots and the caliper moves back and forth on these, if they have no grease or the boots have rotten off and dirt has entered maybe they are not functioning properly, just a thought, make sure the bolts are tight. Again is it all 4 wheels doing this, if you break does it pull in any direction. Fluid level OK. I am no expert but have redone all my breaks and rotors myself so I know each part. Just throwing ideas in the air, others on here are much more knowledgeable about this and hope they step in

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

How did you bed the brakes?

I believe I bedded correctly.... right after installation, stops from 40-60mph to 10 or complete stop with driving quickly thereafter to cool

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Much too fast and should not come to a stop.

Q: How do I break-in my new pads?
    A: Brake Pad Burnishing/Bedding-In Instructions
    1. After installing new brake pads, make 6-to-10 stops from approximately 30-35 MPH applying moderate pressure.
    2. Make an additional 2-to-3 hard stops from approximately 40-45 MPH.
    3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
    4. Allow at least 15 minutes for the brake system to cool down.
    5. After step 4 is completed, your new Hawk Performance brake pads are ready for use.

Q: Why should I follow a break-in procedure on new brake pads?
    A: Correct brake pad break-in (bedding) is important to assure quality braking performance over the life of the pad. This procedure allows the rubbing
    surface of the brake pad to be brought to temperatures, creating a transfer-film layer of friction material to be applied to the rotor surface. This
    allows the brake pad material to rub against itself rather than the bare rotor. This increases the stopping performance of the brake pad and can

Q: Can I run cross-drilled or slotted rotors with Hawk Performance brake pads?
    A: Yes you can. We do suggest a slotted or solid faced rotor for performance applications. Cross drilled rotors are primarily for looks and as such some trade
    offs will occur, such as increased brake pad wear and increased dust.
    reduce pad and rotor wear.

Ok.. so today I think I realized what the original problem was. After not really hearing the original noise for a while, today I started hearing a loose part noise coming from front drivers side. I took the tire off and the caliper bracket was completely loose. I tightened everything back up and seems to have gone away.

My question is.. is hand tight enough for caliper bracket and caliper or should I go borrow/rent a torque wrench? Should any of these bolts be coated or sprayed with anything before install?

Thanks for all the advice, im still happy I did it myself instead of paying big bucks to the dealer.

past post

Quote Originally Posted by orandaberg View Post
    there are bolts that hold the calipers in place, these have rubber boots and the caliper moves back and forth on these, if they have no grease or the boots have rotten off and dirt has entered maybe they are not functioning properly, just a thought, make sure the bolts are tight. Again is it all 4 wheels doing this, if you break does it pull in any direction. Fluid level OK. I am no expert but have redone all my breaks and rotors myself so I know each part. Just throwing ideas in the air, others on here are much more knowledgeable about this and hope they step in

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Caliper bracket bolts- 96 ft.lb. and use loctite.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    If you use loctite use the blue kind otherwise you will never get those bolts back off. I've never used it on brakes and have Never had one back out but I've seen it on customers cars

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.