2006 6 cyl recalls?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By conedoctor
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2006 6 cyl recalls? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I previously owned a 90 sedan deville which I bought in 96 and had until 2010. It had very few ...
    PAsrxuser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX 6 cyl

2006 6 cyl recalls?

I previously owned a 90 sedan deville which I bought in 96 and had until 2010. It had very few problems and I was still able to sell it at a nice price.
    I bought my 2006 SRX in april of 2012 with 54K miles. I expected this car to last at least 5 more years. The previous owner told me he had the torque convertor replaced. I've had the left catlytic convertor replaced. On return trip from florida the timing chain blew out and I had to replace the engine with a used engine, which had 55K miles on it. I had to replace all of the spark plugs and one one coil. Now I have random misfiring according to the dealer. I think I am fortunate that I've never bought a lemon in my life and I have owned many cars. The sad part is I worked at GM - CPC Engineering in Warren, MI for several years as a contract vendor and worked along side their many employees who I held in high regard. In addition, my cousin just retired from GM after 50 years of service who happened to be a supervisor in the metal modeling area. Having grown up in the Detroit area I always respected GM and what it produced. I don't think I should be constantly repairing a cadillac that should have several good years left. If anyone knows of any recalls for the 2006 SRX, I would appreciate the information.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: 2006 6 cyl recalls?

If there are any, any GM dealer can find what they are and if your car was involved.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Your first order of business is to find the engine oil level indicator and make a habit of checking it so you don't have any more timing chain issues, sounds like the first engine ran low on oil.

Some V6's had consumption issues and that can lead to a timing chain failure, most owners let them run out of oil.

Do a search here and just do some reading and you will discover tons of info on the SRX and potential problems.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by PAsrxuser View Post
    I previously owned a 90 sedan deville which I bought in 96 and had until 2010. It had very few problems and I was still able to sell it at a nice price.
    I bought my 2006 SRX in april of 2012 with 54K miles. I expected this car to last at least 5 more years. The previous owner told me he had the torque convertor replaced. I've had the left catlytic convertor replaced. On return trip from florida the timing chain blew out and I had to replace the engine with a used engine, which had 55K miles on it. I had to replace all of the spark plugs and one one coil. Now I have random misfiring according to the dealer. I think I am fortunate that I've never bought a lemon in my life and I have owned many cars. The sad part is I worked at GM - CPC Engineering in Warren, MI for several years as a contract vendor and worked along side their many employees who I held in high regard. In addition, my cousin just retired from GM after 50 years of service who happened to be a supervisor in the metal modeling area. Having grown up in the Detroit area I always respected GM and what it produced. I don't think I should be constantly repairing a cadillac that should have several good years left. If anyone knows of any recalls for the 2006 SRX, I would appreciate the information.
    Hello PAsrxuser,

I am sorry you have been dealing with these issues with your 2006 SRX. However, I hope you are still enjoying the ride! In order to further assist you, if you private message me on this forum your contact information and VIN# I am happy to research your questions for you. Have a great night!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Dear Laura,

Thank you for the interest.
    The vehicle vin is 1GYEE637060179520

The replacement engine vin is 1GYEE637X601126565

As far as the oil goes, I changed it on a regular basis at the dealer and it never got below a quart low.
    The car is in excellent condition except for the engine. When I had the engine replaced I tried to aqquire a new engine but was told by all sources, including the dealer, that there were no new replacements and I had to purchase a used one. I now have paid just over $20,000 dollars for a worthless car. You can imagine how upsetting this is. When I worked at CPC engineering (years ago) I was able to get help from the guys there but since having retired and moved to PA, as well as most of the people I knew there having retired, I am at my wits end. Perhaps you know of some direction to point me in to get help from GM. I truly would appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Mike C.

----------

Laura

I don't know how to private message, but would like to do as you request. If you can send me a private message possibly I could respond to that.

Thanks,

Mike C.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by PAsrxuser View Post
    Dear Laura,

Thank you for the interest.
    The vehicle vin is 1GYEE637060179520

The replacement engine vin is 1GYEE637X601126565

As far as the oil goes, I changed it on a regular basis at the dealer and it never got below a quart low.
    The car is in excellent condition except for the engine. When I had the engine replaced I tried to aqquire a new engine but was told by all sources, including the dealer, that there were no new replacements and I had to purchase a used one. I now have paid just over $20,000 dollars for a worthless car. You can imagine how upsetting this is. When I worked at CPC engineering (years ago) I was able to get help from the guys there but since having retired and moved to PA, as well as most of the people I knew there having retired, I am at my wits end. Perhaps you know of some direction to point me in to get help from GM. I truly would appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Mike C.

----------

Laura

I don't know how to private message, but would like to do as you request. If you can send me a private message possibly I could respond to that.

Thanks,

Mike C.
    Hello Mike,

I did receive your private message on this forum with your e-mail. I am going to respond via e-mail as you requested and we can interact that way. Look out for the e-mail from me!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Sorry to be harsh, but 54K miles is plenty of time for the previous owner to have jacked up the first motor in a variety of ways. Then you buy another with similar risk? What is the old saying about fool me twice? You didn't buy the vehicle from GM, why are you blaming them for the pig in a poke you voluntarily purchased?

I have 180K plus on my SRX. I have not babied it, using it to tow jet skis and buggies and kayaks. I have had it stuck in north Texas mud pheasant hunting, and have taken it camping several times. When my timing chains wore out at 160K because I thought I was smarter than GM in my oil selection, I manned up instead of blaming someone else. The original spark plugs lasted 160K, and i've never replaced a coil. The transmission has never been serviced, and the rear end oil has been changed once. The brake rotors are original. I've only replaced the running lamps once. It's a daily driver and drives like new.

Like I have said before, there was a time when men owned up to the risk of buying used, and knew enough to have their vehicles properly serviced by competent professionals. Sounds like you have a combination of problems, none of which are the vehicle design.

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    Sorry to be harsh, but 54K miles is plenty of time for the previous owner to have jacked up the first motor in a variety of ways. Then you buy another with similar risk? What is the old saying about fool me twice? You didn't buy the vehicle from GM, why are you blaming them for the pig in a poke you voluntarily purchased?

I have 180K plus on my SRX. I have not babied it, using it to tow jet skis and buggies and kayaks. I have had it stuck in north Texas mud pheasant hunting, and have taken it camping several times. When my timing chains wore out at 160K because I thought I was smarter than GM in my oil selection, I manned up instead of blaming someone else. The original spark plugs lasted 160K, and i've never replaced a coil. The transmission has never been serviced, and the rear end oil has been changed once. The brake rotors are original. I've only replaced the running lamps once. It's a daily driver and drives like new.

Like I have said before, there was a time when men owned up to the risk of buying used, and knew enough to have their vehicles properly serviced by competent professionals. Sounds like you have a combination of problems, none of which are the vehicle design.
    I need to buy you a beer.
    ktr-sb and ktr-sb like this.

Resolved!

I have discovered the issues were caused by low engine oil. Once oil level was brought up the power returned and the check engine light went out. My background is vehicle maintenance and in all of the years I have owned vehicles (51 years) I have never had an oil issue that was a surprise, until this vehicle. When you have your vehicles serviced regularly and knowing the oil was changed about 1,000 miles before, you don't expect oil to the problem. Normally I physically check the oil once a month, however, having other serious issues ongoing it was not done for almost 2 months, after the problem started. Usually if a vehicle is low on oil the oil light will come on, which it did not - and it was 4 quarts low on engine oil. Now my attention will be to monitoring the oil to learn if oil consumption is greater that normal. I want to thank all those who took the time to read the post and comment on it, especially Cadillac Customer Service.

----------

A note to 'Cadillac Owners Fanatic' who made a comment above.

I appreciate that you took the time to read the post. I am surprised by your response, but not knowing all of the facts its easy to assume the worst. I am nearly 70, retired, and have owned and cared for 14 vehicles, all of which had only the best of care. My first car was a 1955 chevy bought in 1965 and it was in almost like new condition. I don't buy pigs in a poke. My 1990 cadillac was 6 years old and beautiful and lasted until 2010 when I sold it in nearly the same condtion. My sister has a 2007 srx and has never had any issues with her car. I bought my 2006 srx from someone I knew and know it was well taken care of. My issue with it as I learned was caused by low oil, noted in the previous post. It might serve you well to ask more questions before slamming someone.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I can almost guarantee you will have timing chain issues soon due to that low of oil just monitor your oil and.performance but be ready its a matter of time now. Found out mine what 4qts low FROM THE DEALER and within a year my chains failed.

nstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldo ETC 04 SRX V8 AWD 13 XTS

If it was seviced 1000 miles before finding it 4 quarts low I would say crankcase wasn't brought to proper level. Four ouarts in 1000 miles is extremely unlikley.I would check with person doing sevice!

Unlikely but not unheard of.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.