CamShaft Replaced Check Engine Light Still On.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, CamShaft Replaced Check Engine Light Still On. in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello, I recently had a Camshaft sensor A bank one replaced on my Cadillac SRX 2004. As I pulled out ...
    mticehurst is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Exclamation CamShaft Replaced Check Engine Light Still On.

Hello,
    I recently had a Camshaft sensor A bank one replaced on my Cadillac SRX 2004. As I pulled out of the parking lot, of the repair shop the check engine light came back on.
    The code came up as: P0342 Low Input I brought it back to the shop, and they told me it was not the sensor but it may be the main computer and I should take it to a dealer for further inspection.
    Does anyone know what could possibly be happening or have any ways or ideas of any fixes?
    Thanks,
    ~MTicehurst121

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    They could have replaced the wrong sensor bank one sensor a should be the passenger intake cam sensor correct me if im wrong. There are 4 cam sensors and 4 cam acuators and all are interchangeable between spots.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: CamShaft Replaced Check Engine Light Still On.

Another thing to consider is that on other similar GM engines, the cause of this code is the actuator being bad, not the sensor itself. Not an expensive part.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    Another thing to consider is that on other similar GM engines, the cause of this code is the actuator being bad, not the sensor itself. Not an expensive part.
    Great point too im hoping the shop checked the oil level first.

The original code was a P0341 cam position sensor a circuit bank 1. At that point in time I was 5qt low on Mobile 1 oil, so we did an early oil change and replaced the intake cam shaft position sensor bank 1 and right intake.
    Within .5 miles the check engine light turned back on. Now the code returns as P0342 (Cam shaft sensor A bank 1 CKT low input.)
    Took it to the shop and they told me the sensor was o.k and that I may have to replace the ECM? computer?
    Does anyone know what this possibly means or what I may need to get fixed?
    Thanks,
    ~MTicehurst121

PS: This is a 2004 SRX with 93,000 miles on it.

If it's a V-6, you've probably got timing chain issues. 5 Qts low is not good for the V-8 either. How long have you owned it?

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Have you tried a battery reset, un attach/re attach cables.After pulling up the codes are they deleted?

Could very well be looking at the chains although it would have dtcs related to that but that low its all a matter of time

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If it's a V-6, you've probably got timing chain issues. 5 Qts low is not good for the V-8 either. How long have you owned it?
    Is not a timing chain issue obvious? ruff idle,poor acceleration,miss fires at high RPM'S? Should never have let it go so low in oil

I purchased this vehicle 4 years ago used, and yes it is a V6.
    What does a timing chain cost to repair?
    ~MTicehurst

If you've owned it for 4 years, how did you let it get 5 qts. low on oil? Use "search this forum", you'll find lots on 'timing chains'.
    Do you have any odd noises, esp. on start-up or drive-ability issues? If you are real lucky it may just be a bad actuator.
    Back to the OP, the sensor may be OK but I doubt the ECM went bad; more likely a bad connection, most likely at the sensor.
    If you want to DIY, we'll help.

Quote Originally Posted by mticehurst View Post
    I purchased this vehicle 4 years ago used, and yes it is a V6.
    What does a timing chain cost to repair?
    ~MTicehurst
    Dealer around $4000 parts and labor a side shop even if they want to do it labor alone is $1600. I got all of my parts for around $600 between autozone ebay and gmpartseast.com and i did it myself. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU HAVE NO MECHANICAL EXPERIENCE. It is a difficult job. If you have the knowledge this can be done in around a half day non stop.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D

I think all the SRX's got the GM oil level sensor, it is a very often forgotten part in the modern age. Can't say I'm any better, I have not checked the oil since I filled it but I have a good history of it not using oil so I don't check the level.

So repnatl could a regular repair shop do this job if the dealer wants too much or is the extra the dealer wants worth the extra value of the dealer standing behind the repair in the furure?

We hear many stories of shops doing the repair incorrect or having other issues, I guess like anything else some shops and dealers are better than others. I am one of the lucky ones who does it myself and does not have to worry about finding a shop.

Like you said totally depends on the shop i just called around for mine before i tackled it so i know about what to charge others when i do it for them as a reference they change x amount so ill charge x amount foe the repair. In all honesty unless that mechanic has done these before at that shop definitely wouldn't go there. Also the op can order all oem gm parts to do the job for around 800 or less on gmpartseast.com that way the dealer still has to stand behind the parts if they do the labor cause i believe the dealer parts alone would run over 1600.

----------

[QUOTE="conedoctor;3285984"]I think all the SRX's got the GM oil level sensor,

Yes its a very fancy piece of equipment called a dipstick its very hard to operate without a manual lol. Alot of ppl expect the computer to do everything without any diver input. As a driver we are responsible for checking our own fluids. If we don't want to check out our vehicle every now and then maybe we should be on public transportation since they do inspect their vehicles daily.

Hello, I have tried unplugging the battery but was unsuccessful, after first startup after the battery was unplugged it went away but after the second startup it came back on.
    Code P0342 came back on, and now I am down 1 qt of mobil 1 oil within 1000 miles (1 Month).
    What should I do and is there any connecting between the oil and the Cam shaft sensor code? (P0342)
    Thanks!
    ~MTicehurst

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.