Rubbing and chatter from rear end question...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Rubbing and chatter from rear end question... in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have read the previous threads on this rather common issue. So we are going to drain the fluid and ...
    AmyinFL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac SRX V6

Question Rubbing and chatter from rear end question...

I have read the previous threads on this rather common issue. So we are going to drain the fluid and put in the LS fluid from the dealer as recommended. However, my husband wants to add the LS lube additive as well (4oz bottle). What's your thoughts experience with this? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Rubbing and chatter from rear end question...

If you have a limited slip differential, the additive is a must. If you don't have LS, you've got a different problem.
    AmyinFL and AmyinFL like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

@ glake89-How do I know if I have LS? Thanks!

Look for RPO G80. The option list is on a label either on the under side of the jack compartment lid or one of the rear cubbies.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Thank you! Looks like all 07' V6 Caddy SRX RWD are equipped with LS Diff. I sure am hopping this oil change an additive do the trick! I know it can take a little time once changed...I will report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    Look for RPO G80. The option list is on a label either on the under side of the jack compartment lid or one of the rear cubbies.

Change should be almost immediate.

Ok, just waiting on the additive to arrive, and then we will change it out Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    Change should be almost immediate.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

The limited slip differential is not a standard feature on all SRX's. LSD was standard on all V8 vehicles (AWD or RWD) and optional on all V6 vehicles. In addition, if you have the Sport Package, you will also have LSD.

Thank you.. 08SRX.... I am going to check it out. I looked up the VIN and it says it does have LS...but I want to be sure..

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Check out post #4. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...erentials.html
    According to the shop manual a full 4 oz isn't needed depending on how the lub is drained. Probably won't hurt anything using the full 4 oz but GM apparently thinks it isn't needed.

Still can't find the RPO sticker....

Quote Originally Posted by AmyinFL View Post
    Still can't find the RPO sticker....
    On my 07 it's in that rear compartment that holds your jack. If you aren't familiar with what they look like I found several typical examples by searching "Cadillac rpo list" in google or bing Images. You'll see several with G80 in the list

Quote Originally Posted by n7don_srx View Post
    On my 07 it's in that rear compartment that holds your jack. If you aren't familiar with what they look like I found several typical examples by searching "Cadillac rpo list" in google or bing Images. You'll see several with G80 in the list
    Just went and looked again and found it on the lid of the jack compartment. Didn't look there last time! Thanks! And I DO have a LS. Sure hoping the oil change and additive fix this problem. @ n7don_srx- Have you had this issue with your srx?

No problems here. There was recall a couple years ago to replace the pinion shaft seal with an update version. Was this done on your vehicle? Your dealer should be able to determine if so. Maybe the lub was drained and no friction modifier added. There were line items on the repair order on my 07 showing new lub and the friction modifier had been replaced as part of the recall and seal replacement.
    Your original posting mentions rumbling/chattering...... generally if this happens while turning the friction modifier should fix it. If present while driving in a straight line you may have other issues.

Thankfully it is only while turning, and seems to only do it when it's cold (not outside temp but meaning when car is first driven) I did call the dealer that this vehicle was serviced at and all recalls have been taken care of. Additionally, I requested the records and it shows where a diff. bushing was replaced last year...it does not say anything about the friction modifier additive-so hoping it will do the trick! I just bought this car from an old man last week, and of course on the test drive we didn't hear it! LOL! She is a beauty though..black on black and completely loaded only 58k miles
    Quote Originally Posted by n7don_srx View Post
    No problems here. There was recall a couple years ago to replace the pinion shaft seal with an update version. Was this done on your vehicle? Your dealer should be able to determine if so. Maybe the lub was drained and no friction modifier added. There were line items on the repair order on my 07 showing new lub and the friction modifier had been replaced as part of the recall and seal replacement.
    Your original posting mentions rumbling/chattering...... generally if this happens while turning the friction modifier should fix it. If present while driving in a straight line you may have other issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.