Radiator return nipple broke
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Radiator return nipple broke in Cadillac SRX Forums; So, while trying to get the belt back on after replacing the alternator on my wife's 2005 SRX, I managed ...
    btwoodward is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Radiator return nipple broke

So, while trying to get the belt back on after replacing the alternator on my wife's 2005 SRX, I managed to break the return nipple off (that the overflow/return hose fits to on the radiator itself.) I guess due to age, that piece of plastic was bound to break at sometime. I guess best in my driveway, rather than being stranded again. Anyway, my question is, is it possible to have that repaired, or does the entire radiator need to be replaced? I am guessing the entire *** thing. If so, is it a DIY or take-to-a-shop-and-let-them-deal-with-it job? Any instructions that anyone knows of for replacing one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Radiator return nipple broke

Pretty much standard job, lotta stuff to remove first to get out of the way. A PM w/ email will get you a PDF.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Thank you!!! Now already almost ready for the new radiator... just have to wait for it to get in in the morning. Without glake89 I would probably be doing a lot of

Jim_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX V8 RWD 2004
    Mine also broke found one on amazon.com for little over $100. Took me an hour to tear everything apart and the next day an hour to install. Took 2 days to receive part.

Thanks to glake89, without him, I wouldn't have known where to even start.

I was able to get it completed. Putting back together wasn't bad at all... in fact, I had to look several times to make sure I hadn't forgotten something But, when taking a part, wow. Took me probably half a day total, mainly because of the stupid lower radiator hose clamp and the angle it was that left no way to get to it. To the point that I was thinking about just cutting the hose and replacing ... well, until I found out it was a hundred bucks for that sucker.

But, in the end, I was able to get it done and put back together. So far so good. No obvious leaks. Coolant level is staying put. So, I am cautiously optimistic that this several hundred bucks will last a while. FYI, I got radiator from O'Reilly Autoparts for just over 200, but with the core charge from the alternator that I had to replace (that lead to the radiator issue) it was around 180. They ordered it at about 2pm and by 7a the next morning they had it. Can't credit them enough either.

So, in the end, I have discovered that it is possible to change the alternator and radiator in this thing. It is a beast to do, but it can be done. Next time though, I may have to take it in. But, I persevered with a couple of 10mm wrenches (two ratchets and an open end), vice grips (regular and needle nose), a screwdriver ... blood, sweat, and not too proud to admit, probably some tears. Definitely some choice words a time or two. And a week.

although, now I am probably a little bit

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Quote Originally Posted by btwoodward View Post
    although, now I am probably a little bit
    been there, done that! glad you got that done

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Don't worry we all cry when doing repairs on these

ndforspd69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX AWD V8

Is it possible to thread in a metal fitting into the plastic with a barbed connection??

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ndforspd69 View Post
    Is it possible to thread in a metal fitting into the plastic with a barbed connection??
    No I've tried on other vehicles it just can't handle the pressure after the repair. Best way on any return nipple is the radiator replacement it sucks but hey at least you get a lifetime warranty afterwards

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

That part of the radiator is plastic? You would think that is a bad engineering design decision.

ndforspd69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX AWD V8

DShitty!! Glake, could you plz pm me a copy of the rad PDF. I tried pm ing you but your mailbox is full, thanks!

Jim_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX V8 RWD 2004
    Had same problem but plastic and metal temperature coefficients aren't the same so it will leak if trying to repair it. I replaced the whole radiator at amazon for little over $100.

preforming is offline Cadillac Owners Member

wow i had the same thing happen to me today. with the nipple for the overflow. how do you take these radiators out some one please. can anyone give me a pdf so i can get my Betty back on the road please..

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Ask and you receive-
    Need you to PM your email.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.