High idle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, High idle in Cadillac SRX Forums; I notice that just sometimes, the car idle high when started. When driving like this the car run hot and ...
    Caddy Dave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 srx V8 Northstar

High idle

I notice that just sometimes, the car idle high when started. When driving like this the car run hot and then the engine light come on. The guy told me the code that comes up is tell me that the car is running to lean or to rich. He also said it could be a vacuum leak some wear or a bad sensor. The question is what should look for to fix this problem, if anyone had this problem as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: High idle

There aren't many vacuum lines to check and at the age of the car, may be brittle. Loose bolts on the intake side of things can allow vacuum leaks. Snug them up.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Thanks for that. Should I also change the pcv valve and lines? I had replace the spark plugs. It look like the pcv valve is a dealer's part cause i notice these other part stores don't sell it.

Valve is likely OK unless you are getting oil in the air filter box. PVC lines are very suspect for leaks.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

You never stated what high idle is, nor do you say if you have a V6 or V8. Normally, when the V6 starts up it will idle at about 1100 rpm until it warms after which it will idle at about 600 rpm.

I have the v8 northstar and it idle high off and on after driving stop and go traffic for about a hour. It would go between 1100 and 600 with in the ride. When it do that I also notice that my temp g, move over to the hot side. Now say I pull over and turn off the car to do some thing and get back and start it up I will now hear the front dual fans race to cool it down and stop when the line is back in the middle. I would not hear or feel them come on any other time. I just want to fix this heating problem before is gets worse. What should I do first.

High idle is most likely a small intermittent vacuum leak or a sticking throttle plate. The fans running after re-start is due to heat sink; if you continued driving rather than stopping it would probably cool itself down. I'm not sure you really have a problem other than the idle and that doesn't seem serious yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.