which spark plugs should I buy - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, which spark plugs should I buy in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by conedoctor I would assume nothing really, after shipping and who knows, I would check. Good thought with ...
    subzero32 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Re: which spark plugs should I buy

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    I would assume nothing really, after shipping and who knows, I would check.
    Good thought with the shipping. I'll have to look up what the recomended gap is and adjust.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    DO NOT ADJUST THE GAP ON IRIDIUMS YOU WILL DAMAGE THEM so yes they are pre gapped

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Kind of a blanket statement, please give more details.

Maybe be careful if you do and not push on the electrode?

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Personally I change Plugs ever year just to keep them fresh cheap insurance and I can change all of them in less than 20 mins
    Raising my eyebrows at this claim. I prefer to go slow. Let the engine cool. Hand tools. Air gun to blow out the dust from the coil connectors before disconnecting. A mirror on each plug hole to make sure oil or debris present is removed before partially unscrewing plug. Another blow of the air gun to make sure any debris trapped under plug is out before removal. Carefully mark each plug, and photograph from several angles. Measure worn gap. Take a break and inspect plugs for wear and proper running on computer monitor. Open new box of plugs, inspect each carefully for manufacturing defects. Check plug gap on new plugs. Apply very small amount of anti-seize to a portion of threads and wipe to make sure lubricant is only in valleys. Clean debris off spark plug socket. Carefully hand-install plugs, followup with hand tightening of plugs. Inspect each coil and boot, and apply small amount of silicone to boot rubbers, if necessary (spray into rag or towell, then wipe on). Carefully reinstall and reconnect coils.

Whew! Took me almost 20 mins just to type that. And that doesn't even talk about getting to the coils.

Plugs are important. That's why I like to do them right. Maybe that's why I don't have trouble with them.

I wonder how many "bad" plugs were perfectly good until they were manhandled into their dirty hole by an impact wrench or other power tool that bent a properly gapped electrode, crossed up aluminum threads, or hammered a crack into an insulator.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post

Raising my eyebrows at this claim. I prefer to go slow. Let the engine cool. Hand tools. Air gun to blow out the dust from the coil connectors before disconnecting. A mirror on each plug hole to make sure oil or debris present is removed before partially unscrewing plug. Another blow of the air gun to make sure any debris trapped under plug is out before removal. Carefully mark each plug, and photograph from several angles. Measure worn gap. Take a break and inspect plugs for wear and proper running on computer monitor. Open new box of plugs, inspect each carefully for manufacturing defects. Check plug gap on new plugs. Apply very small amount of anti-seize to a portion of threads and wipe to make sure lubricant is only in valleys. Clean debris off spark plug socket. Carefully hand-install plugs, followup with hand tightening of plugs. Inspect each coil and boot, and apply small amount of silicone to boot rubbers, if necessary (spray into rag or towell, then wipe on). Carefully reinstall and reconnect coils.

Whew! Took me almost 20 mins just to type that. And that doesn't even talk about getting to the coils.

Plugs are important. That's why I like to do them right. Maybe that's why I don't have trouble with them.

I wonder how many "bad" plugs were perfectly good until they were manhandled into their dirty hole by an impact wrench or other power tool that bent a properly gapped electrode, crossed up aluminum threads, or hammered a crack into an insulator.
    Man that's a 2 hour Tuneup lol. I'm ase certified and definitely don't use air tools on Plugs too risky. But impacts on the Intake and coil bolts for removal. And yes I do use air to clean the area around it. You would need a case of beer for your Tuneup all I need is 1 beer hahahahahahha just messing with you

Jim_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX V8 RWD 2004

Replaced mine on 2004 V8 at 90K with more expensive Bosch plugs. Pretty soon my engine was missing and dealer told me if you use a hotter plug you will blow your coils. I replaced with AC Delco OEM and the dealer replaced the coil bank under warranty. My car was purchased with 600 miles, was never titled but they told me they couldn't put an inspection sticker on because basically it wasn't new I came back and said make it a certified used car with 100K bumper to bumper and we have a cash deal. Left with the car and don't regret anything.

I was replacing the spark plugs and while disconnecting the connector that goes to the ignition coils it separated and broke apart. The entire wire looks dry and brittle. I looked on gmpartsdirect and it seems you have to buy the entire ignition module and you can not buy wire #4 pictured alone. Anyone know how much this will cost at the dealership. Here is the link. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by subzero32 View Post
    I was replacing the spark plugs and while disconnecting the connector that goes to the ignition coils it separated and broke apart. The entire wire looks dry and brittle. I looked on gmpartsdirect and it seems you have to buy the entire ignition module and you can not buy wire #4 pictured alone. Anyone know how much this will cost at the dealership. Here is the link. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
    This?

I ended up replacing all ignition coils/ wires which I bought from the stealership for $350, ouch! But good maintenance costs $. So this week I replaced one rear and one front bearing, spark plugs, 4 ignition coils, and all brake pads. Some good work in all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.