which spark plugs should I buy - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, which spark plugs should I buy in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by conedoctor So why the quick change? Personally I change Plugs ever year just to keep them fresh ...
    repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    So why the quick change?
    Personally I change Plugs ever year just to keep them fresh cheap insurance and I can change all of them in less than 20 mins
    subzero32 and subzero32 like this.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: which spark plugs should I buy

Your an oil change every 3 months kind of guy too right?

To each their own, you need to have more faith in stuff.

subzero32 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

I like how you think. And yes every 3 months or 3,000 miles for this family fleet of vehicles.

Its a total waste of money and time and there are lots of facts to back it up but hey to each their own.

Its a total waste of money and time and there are lots of facts to back it up but hey to each their own.
    Changing oil every 3000 miles is a waste of time? or the spark plugs each year? I'll admit I only do the spark plugs when something goes wrong or its the milage the manufacture suggests.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    You're at 122K and want to change brands. What's wrong with OEM? Seems they did OK.
    Exactly. I got over 160K on my originals, and went back with originals. It runs like new.

Using plugs, filters, oil and fuel brands other than those recommended by GM is the number one reason why people have timing chain, driveability, gas mileage and other engine problems. A lot of shade tree advice and old wives tails have cost a lot of consumers a lot of money. Usually by people who want it for themselves.

Yes it is my feeling that changing Mobil 1 at 3 months or 3000 miles (yes if your putting 10k on in 3 months then yes or abuse) is a complete waste of time and money.

But again I don't want to pick any fights, if you feel an advantage to draining out perfectly good oil and refilling with new perfectly good oil then rock on, mine gets done when the car tells me too or once a year. I have had no engine issues with any of my GM trucks over the last 15 years and 2 SRX's in the last 5-6 years, followed the OLM every time or once a year.

Kind of funny and not picking on ANYONE, but people will do maintenance that is not needed and some wont even do what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    Exactly. I got over 160K on my originals, and went back with originals. It runs like new.

Using plugs, filters, oil and fuel brands other than those recommended by GM is the number one reason why people have timing chain, driveability, gas mileage and other engine problems. A lot of shade tree advice and old wives tails have cost a lot of consumers a lot of money. Usually by people who want it for themselves.
    I'm on board with the oil/filters but I find it hard to believe using Iridium plugs from a major manufacturer such as NGK is going to cause major or minor issues with the car. Its a basic GM vehicle, not a Porche or ZR1 Vette. Many will disagree but thats my thoughs today.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by subzero32 View Post
    Its a basic GM vehicle, not a Porche or ZR1 Vette. Many will disagree but thats my thoughs today.
    Hmmm. Well, I paid very real money for mine, and I will let others pretend that they are smarter than the engineers who designed it. The LY7 is a very sophisticated motor, and those who get it in cheaper vehicles are getting a bargain.

I had a bad run in with Bosch Platinum plugs in turbo DSM applications, there is a reason everyone used NGK V groove, they will handle the abuse and not fail.

Parts should be based on application not brand, does the 1.8T know it's in an Audi or VW, does your V6 know its in a Cadillac or Chevy?

Use the correct part and not get blinded by marketing, I like awesome parts too but I like to get some return from my dollar.
    subzero32 and subzero32 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    Hmmm. Well, I paid very real money for mine, and I will let others pretend that they are smarter than the engineers who designed it. The LY7 is a very sophisticated motor, and those who get it in cheaper vehicles are getting a bargain.
    The LY7 motor is a good motor but it is by no means tuned to produce high HP figures such as the ZR1 is putting out or a Turbo Porsche. My thought is with those vehicles I can justify more staying with OEM plugs more so than a common SRX.

----------

I had a bad run in with Bosch Platinum plugs in turbo DSM applications, there is a reason everyone used NGK V groove, they will handle the abuse and not fail.

Parts should be based on application not brand, does the 1.8T know it's in an Audi or VW, does your V6 know its in a Cadillac or Chevy?

Use the correct part and not get blinded by marketing, I like awesome parts too but I like to get some return from my dollar.
    I agree exactly. A little research is needed before just switching to aftermarket. My research leads me to believe NGK Iridium will do just fine.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

No I change every 5-7k with Mobil one lol. I see where you are coming from and I totally understand. Its just a personal preference and I've never had a Pl foul this way. Just a personal preference that's all. Rather do it at home then risk a misfire on a road trip.

Man that's hardcore!

I'm assuming the NGK are pre gaped and do not need adjusting.

I would assume nothing really, after shipping and who knows, I would check.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.