SRX Heads-up Display?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, SRX Heads-up Display? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Did any first Generation SRX have a factory Heads up Display? It sounds like at least the Cadillac STS had ...
    TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Lightbulb SRX Heads-up Display?

Did any first Generation SRX have a factory Heads up Display? It sounds like at least the Cadillac STS had one? Would it be possible to "retro" fit a first Gen SRX with the STS unit or a more compatible one? Or is it a way too involved/complicated procedure? Impossible? I have never understood why Heads-up Displays never gained more popularity. My Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo has one. I miss it on my other cars. Especially the ones that don't have digital speedometers, just analog ones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mattsk42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8

Re: SRX Heads-up Display?

Retrofit would be nice!

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TimRSRX777 View Post
    Did any first Generation SRX have a factory Heads up Display? It sounds like at least the Cadillac STS had one? Would it be possible to "retro" fit a first Gen SRX with the STS unit or a more compatible one? Or is it a way too involved/complicated procedure? Impossible? I have never understood why Heads-up Displays never gained more popularity. My Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo has one. I miss it on my other cars. Especially the ones that don't have digital speedometers, just analog ones.
    Did you mean supercharged lol

Nope turbo.

----------

Nope turbo.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Old school gtp or newer converted to turbo I'm lost lol

TGP - Turbo Grand Prix

Did any first Generation SRX have a factory Heads up Display? It sounds like at least the Cadillac STS had one? Would it be possible to "retro" fit a first Gen SRX with the STS unit or a more compatible one? Or is it a way too involved/complicated procedure? Impossible? I have never understood why Heads-up Displays never gained more popularity. Is it possible to install HUD on the SRX?

Which Cadillac models had HUD? Did any SRX's?

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

the answer to your question is no. SRX Gen 1 did not have or have the option for HUD. The only Cadillac models that had it were DTS and STS. I don't think you would find one that is easily compatible.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Don't forget night vision. 2000-2005 DHS. $2K option.

SuperSport44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Your are among a large crowd who miss their HUDs when driving a vehicle without one. The trouble was, GM never got that type feedback, unless a rare marketing survey is made. Even then, the surveys were taken amoungst thousands of participants, where 95% of the people didn't know what a HUD was, so voted against it. It wasn't until the survey was re-taken, just asking HUD owners, that the desire was fully understood. By then the first and second Gen SRX were completed. I believe you will see many more HUDs coming out of GM from now on. For your question: HUDs are engineered to match the windshield shape of the car they are designed for, so , no, the STS HUD will not match Gen1 SRX (Nor is there room under the dash.) Unfortunately, the SRX architecture doesn't accomodate a HUD.

I really hope that you are right in that HUD is more widely available in the coming years. I have it on my GP and miss it on my other cars without it. To me it greatly increases safety, since you don't have to take your eyes off the road for some of the most commonly needed information, especially the speed you are traveling at. I understand what you are saying about the HUD considering the windshield in the design, but isn't the area of the windshield that the HUD is projected on small enough that this shouldn't be a great concern? Do you know how much work, or how little, would it be to Mod the STS HUD for the SRX?
    Attached Images

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I for one think it doable, not sure on the data part of it but making it fit and stuff can be done.

Now is it worth it, to some yes.

DougC.. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

I had it on my GTP (12 second 1/4 mile btw) and miss the heck out of it. Would love to figure out a retro fit option.
    FWIW, most HUD have a adjustable reflection to compensate the driver height, so making that work on the SRX wouldnt be too hard.
    Also, the HUD sat on/in the top of the dash, not really much to it, so making that part fit might not be so tricky either.
    Hardest part would be connecting it to the harness.
    Newer HUDs have a bit more info than the Ol Grand Prix, but Id settle for just a MPH and maybe a gas near empty notification.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Heads-up display has been around for more than a decade, yet still has not caught on. It appears that Cadillac has also abandoned this approach for other technologies. One reason might be that the feature can cause information overload or it was shown that HUD did not appreciably enhance safety or even made things worse. I think it is a very cool feature, but the industry is not jumping on it for some reason.

Well fighter jets have it for a reason. I for one think information overload is better than not enough information. I also agree with DougC.. "I'd settle for just a MPH and maybe a gas near empty notification", which Grand Prix's had. For someone who is familiar with vehicular electronics you would not think it would be very difficult for them to modify and install a unit on non HUD equipped newer GM vehicles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.