2006 awd v8 issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2006 awd v8 issues in Cadillac SRX Forums; hi all. i purchased my moms 2006 srx v8 awd with 22000 miles on it. i drove it to Canada ...
    PROSPECTOR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 srx v8 awd

2006 awd v8 issues

hi all. i purchased my moms 2006 srx v8 awd with 22000 miles on it. i drove it to Canada and when i hit snow or ice it turned into a spooky little sow.
    i have a 2009 mazda 9 awd at home and its the best thing i have ever driven on ice snow. it has 20 inch wheels with regular tires. when i drive the mazda i am never aware of its awd. i just mindlessly drive and never get in trouble.

now the srx has 18 inch wheels with like new tires , but , like the mazda, they are not snow tires. diffrence is, when your drving down the hiway, if you hit ice, the back end tries to- or feels lke- its trying to come around on me. when that happens a noticable thunk comes out of the back and a traction control light comes on the bose screen.

in a parking lot , with a little tug of the steering wheel and a bit of throttle , it feels like the car wants to spin around.. just like any rwd would.

tonight i tried driving up a snow covered rural driveway and instantly got stuck. the back tires dug ruts and the fronts never turned an inch.

this thing is for sure an awd... it has front shafts/ cv boots ... has no check lights etc. when the back tires spin, it feels like the rear wants to slide towatrds the drivers side.

anyways. whats the deal. am i not seeing a switch i need to push?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Re: 2006 awd v8 issues

there are no switches for the AWD in these cars, It's all the time AWD,
    that shouldn't happen, check your fuses, my friend had a similar issue with his ford (i'm not comparing here) but he found that his fuse was blown.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    That would be interesting if a blown fuse would cause the front diff not to work or the transfer case. I thought these were full time awd and not torque torque sensing but I may be wrong

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Prospector is correct. I have noticed the same behavior when going around corners fast on snow. The back end tends to want to spin out like a rear wheel drive would. This made me wonder if the rear drive wheels are getting more torque than the front. It may also be that we are just experiencing a four-wheel skid and it just feels like the rear end slides out faster due to the length of the vehicle. You did not mention if this was happening on a straight road or whether you were going through a curve or driving on slanted pavement. You should not skid on a straight road, as long as you don't touch the brakes or gas pedal.

JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    I find the traction control to be very liberal in the snow. Suits me fine because I prefer to get sideways whenever possible. Although, I do find the vehicle more than capable of handling rough weather.

/\ as mentioned there may be a heavier bias of rear end torque with theses AWD setups.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Liberal is not the word, I can power slid down the street and the cars fine with it lol.

The CX-9 is a FWD base and probably has a front bias, the SRX is 50/50. I would say tires first off, they make a huge difference in grip.

" i just mindlessly drive and never get in trouble" this is not a good thing.....

JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Car is rated at 50/50 WEIGHT distribution, I don't ever remember reading about torque split on the drivetrain. Do you have reference to this Cone?

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

From description of transfer case in SM-

"The planetary differential provides a 50/50 torque split, front/rear, full time. "

Makes sense since it is a mechanical device,
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

CADMAN2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX4
    Not gonna get into the tire issue because it only makes sense they can make a difference. But I think that maybe we should consider that all AWSd are not created equal and caddy's is certainly not the best.

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

I have different feeling about this issue, my car is always understeer (front end slip) when i hit the gas on slippery conditions, and yes i have read somewhere that it's 50/50 weight and power distribution.

The car will throttle on under steer so that is normal, with an open front and center diff you will push like most AWD cars.

Now if you give it enough throttle you may get a different outcome, also if you get the change of direction started first then add power it should rotate for you, if you get under steer try to drive through it with neutral throttle or just a touch of brake to transfer weight and drag the back tires.

I guess it depends on why you are getting under steer as the solution may be different for getting out of it, but most AWD wants to push.

SRX619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

If your SRX still has the original Michelin Pilots on the vehicle that could part of the problem. Check that tire's TireRack ratings and you will see that they are rated as having very poor wet and snow traction. I found that it gets worse as they wear. The awd N* is front end heavy and has lots of traction issues because of that. Snow and rain make them very dicey vehicles. Get better tires and slow down a tad in inclement weather.

The data I have found says the SRX has close to 50/50 weight distribution, where did you get your numbers from?

Define traction issues and why?

If this vehicle is unsafe to drive I need to know right away

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.